question about logs management

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just registered here, got my new 3DR Solo (with gimbal and Hero 4 black) two days ago.
There seems to be very little information available from the official channels so I spent whole weekend reading various topics on this forum instead of flying (well I managed to get the Solo in the air 3 times but the battery doesn't last 20 minutes as they advertise, not even 15mins, 12-13mins per fully charged battery was my experience so far, anyway that's another topic).

I came across few discussions here about logs, some report crashes and were able to retrieve logs or even determine where and how the Solo crashed from those logs. This data logging, is it enabled by default or is it something we need to enable, and then hack the firmware to retrieve it ? I noted some discussion about emailing the logs to "yourself" from the support ticket screen but I see no such option there. I'm on Mac so I cannot install Mission Control, there is the APM Planner for Mac - is it any good and simple to retrieve/save logs (without understanding the linux commands)? If the logging is enabled by default, how many flight hours are stored before it starts over-writing old data (in other words how often should I retrieve and save data to be certain not to lose any older logs) ?
I just want to be certain that if it ever happens that Solo disappears in the distance and goes down, that I have a way to retrieve and analyze information of what actually happened and to be able to determine GPS location of the crash site if I cannot locate it myself. Somewhere on the forum it was suggested to install GPS location device (like SPOT) but surely this is not necessary if the GPS location is already recorded on logs on my controller.
Secondly I would like to keep historical logs in order to determine total flight hours for the maintenance purposes, sure I can use my stopwatch and write this on piece of paper every time I fly but eventually I'll forget I'm sure. So much discussion about failed motors that makes me think to buy a new set every now and then and replace them, although when to replace them is a real question, either way the official info about 150 hours is obviously a non-sense, there wouldn't be so many failures of fairly new copters if this was true.

I will probably post few additional questions in next few days so I apologize before hand for that. This forum is really great source of info, before the weekend I had about 20 questions to ask but it seems most of it was already covered here so now I'm down to about 3 remaining things that I'm still not clear on.

Hey Pete welcome aboard and another Aussie on the Solo platform.

1. You can download logs from you controller and for even more information you can download .bin logs from PixHawk in Solo on both Mac and Windows platforms but you need Mission Planner to really get the most of of them. Also logs can be converted in Mission Planner for .KMZ and FPV .KMZ files and used in conjunction with Google Earth to show some cool information. You can find how to do this by searching on the forum and this information can also be found on the 3DR website. If I get more time I will post some links to the documents. I also run Mac but have Windows on Boot Camp. I normally download logs using Mac put them in my dropbox and when I have time open up Mission Planner on Windows / Boot Camp.

2. APM Planner will enable you to fly autonomous missions but does not have the full suite of tools Mission Planner has yet. Hopefully this will change in the future.

3. Once you have your logs you can use Mission Planner for analysis but what I mostly do with mine is import them into DroneLogBook via a web browser (not the iOS app) and use them to record the data for each of flights amongst other things. DroneLogBook is a great tool to keep track of flights, battery chargers, location, equipment and incidents, I suggest to anyone if you are serious about getting the most out of Solo start using it.

Reactions: J R and pete
Not sure if they have an android app. If they don't you can just use your web browser. I personally prefer using a web browser it's easier to get to your data in less steps (button presses). For instance to get to your battery charge data you have to dig through three screens vs two on the web browser. I'm all about UI and UX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Pete welcome aboard and another Aussie on the Solo platform.

1. You can download logs from you controller and for even more information you can download .bin logs from PixHawk in Solo on both Mac and Windows platforms but you need Mission Planner to really get the most of of them. Also logs can be converted in Mission Planner for .KMZ and FPV .KMZ files and used in conjunction with Google Earth to show some cool information. You can find how to do this by searching on the forum and this information can also be found on the 3DR website. If I get more time I will post some links to the documents. I also run Mac but have Windows on Boot Camp. I normally download logs using Mac put them in my dropbox and when I have time open up Mission Planner on Windows / Boot Camp.

2. APM Planner will enable you to fly autonomous missions but does not have the full suite of tools Mission Planner has yet. Hopefully this will change in the future.

3. Once you have your logs you can use Mission Planner for analysis but what I mostly do with mine is import them into DroneLogBook via a web browser (not the iOS app) and use them to record the data for each of flights amongst other things. DroneLogBook is a great tool to keep track of flights, battery chargers, location, equipment and incidents, I suggest to anyone if you are serious about getting the most out of Solo start using it.

cheers for that, looks like I'll be looking for my old windows laptop that's been stored in the garage over the last 10 year, is the Mission Planner going to run on Windows XP ? (I'm not keen on installing Windows on my Mac, besides I'm not sure whether I find that installation CD).
any idea how many flight hours are stored before the old logs are overwritten ?

Not sure if it will install on XP I'm running Windows 7.

Don't know exactly how big the log storage is via Pixhawk. I'd be guessing it's limited to the available storage and once full probably deletes over the oldest file first. Someone who knows more might be able to elaborate.

I tend to download my logs after each flying day or if I've had a big day I do it the day after or after my next flying day.

If you don't do it after everyday just make some notes on paper of how many flights you had and what batteries were used. Trust me the notes will help you when it comes to downloading the logs and filling in your info to your logbook of choice.

I'm learning fast that you can never make to many notes. Just do it in a logical way so when you do come to review them a few days or week later you can understand and make sense of what you put down.

Data, data and more data. Sounds boring as as watching paint dry but trust me.

Also in regards to batteries start using a stopwatch when charging batteries and make sure you record the charge time and voltage, before and after charge, before and after flights.

cheers for that, looks like I'll be looking for my old windows laptop that's been stored in the garage over the last 10 year, is the Mission Planner going to run on Windows XP ? (I'm not keen on installing Windows on my Mac, besides I'm not sure whether I find that installation CD).
any idea how many flight hours are stored before the old logs are overwritten ?
MP should run fine on XP and that laptop should be all you need to review logs. More info on it can be found here.

If you use something like DroneLogbook, it will record your battery charges and start/stop voltages. Been flying since 1983 and never used a stop watch before, but to each their own and whatever works for you is what works best. If you use and Android device, it retains a great many logs as well and make retrieval pretty easy. It will also give you access to Tower, an incredible app that you can use on Solo.
Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: pete
I meant to use a stop watch or at least record the time your charges start and finish at. This data can then be input into DroneLogBook when you enter a battery charge. Gives me info as to how long I can expect it to charge for say if I'm running out of day and don't have any batteries charged I can work out if I put one on charge exactly how long it should take and if I will have any daylight left to fly.

Jubalr are you familiar with what data you can input into the charging dialog box on DroneLogBook? How do you use it?

I meant to use a stop watch or at least record the time your charges start and finish at. This data can then be input into DroneLogBook when you enter a battery charge. Gives me info as to how long I can expect it to charge for say if I'm running out of day and don't have any batteries charged I can work out if I put one on charge exactly how long it should take and if I will have any daylight left to fly.

Jubalr are you familiar with what data you can input into the charging dialog box on DroneLogBook? How do you use it?

Here is the input box for the battery. It's actually more than I use but would certainly be useful and I know many use it. For me, I'm old school on batteries. Been flying long enough to recognize when a battery is not charging/discharging where it should. At which point it is tossed. (haven't had to do that on a Solo bat yet. Still have the original 4).
CimKzv

Edit: The purchase date is incorrect. I was just filling the box to show what is available for you.

The dialog box for battery charge data, not the one you have uploaded for logging the actual battery / serial number, purchase date.

But yeah I get if you've been doing this and charging batteries for years. I find it helpful as someone relatively new to this (4-5 years), whatever fields I can fill in I do. Can't hurt and its giving me lots of info to go back on.

Reactions: Jubalr
The dialog box for battery charge data, not the one you have uploaded for logging the actual battery / serial number, purchase date.

But yeah I get if you've been doing this and charging batteries for years. I find it helpful as someone relatively new to this (4-5 years), whatever fields I can fill in I do. Can't hurt and its giving me lots of info to go back on.
Here you go. This is the charge dialog box..
f2k3kF

Yep I go bonkers in here an fill out everything.

Date: obviously the charge date

Duration: the time it take to charge the battery

Amount Before Charge: the amount in Volts the battery is before charge. Tip: as you finish your flight with said battery, click on the battery percentage in the 3DR app to show the voltage and amps, take a screen shot before you turn off Solo

Amount from Charger: the amount in volts the battery is at after charge. Tip: the only way to know this is at the moment is to put your freshly charged battery in Solo and check the voltage on the app and take a screenshot. I know that mine cause they are new charge back to 99% which is 16.7V. But I would be guessing that over time this will be lower(I don't know yet and that is why data, data, data is so important, I will have a record to check back over)

Amount Pre-Flight: before you fly take a screenshot of battery voltage.

Amount Post-Flight: again after you fly before you turn of controller take a screenshot.

Notes: This is where I write what percentage battery was at before charge and after. I did start out putting percentage after the voltage in the 'Amount Before Charge' and 'Amount After Charge' but it just deletes it and keeps the voltage.

If you are flying with multiple batteries for the day you will end up with lots of screenshots. To save confusion label each battery with a number. Then when you are going out for the day fly in sequential order, then when reviewing your days screenshots you will then know battery #1 was first battery #2 was second and so forth.

Reactions: pete
When sorting through the logs that export from Solo, are the telemetry logs the only one I should be uploading to Drone LogBook? Seems to be the only export file type I can upload...

No tlogs to DroneLogBook you need to be getting the .bin logs directly from Solo. DroneLogBook has tlogs as an import option but is not functional yet, it must be something they are working on. I've tried them all and the .bin logs are the only ones that work and that means not the .bin converted to text.

No tlogs to DroneLogBook you need to be getting the .bin logs directly from Solo. DroneLogBook has tlogs as an import option but is not functional yet, it must be something they are working on. I've tried them all and the .bin logs are the only ones that work and that means not the .bin converted to text.

Tlogs work great with DroneLogBook. I was the one that worked with them on it. Several of us on here are using them. Much easier than pulling .bin files.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela