QGC & Open Solo

Reaction score
I run a UAS program and teach about data acquisition and analysis at a university. I have a small fleet of Solos most still running 3DR firmware. I'd like to switch over to Open Solo and I'm wondering if it is possible or if anyone has used QGroundControl with Open Solo?

Last year for this class I had students using Tower and it appears that Tower is not only no longer being developed/supported it is no longer available in the Play Store. Yes, I do have Solex (with Missions and other add-ons), but I am just wondering about QGC at this time.

Thank You

Reactions: Arny58
QGC always connects flawlessly on Open Solo, but I've never used it for flight. The great advantage is that it has both IOS and Android versions.

I believe Tower has morphed into another app and I forget the new name...

If you're using the stock cube with the archaic ArduCopter 3.2ish firmware, there may be some things QGC doesn't like because that firmware is so old. If you're using the green cube with more modern ArduCopter versions, QGC will certainly be fine. And if you jump on the ArduCopter 3.7 beta with Open Solo, you will be even better with no green cube required.

Reactions: Arny58 and Wetstone
You can use the replacement for Tower. It's called Mission Maker for ArdupilotScreenshot_20190301-120316_Google%20Play%20Store.jpeg

I run a UAS program and teach about data acquisition and analysis at a university. I have a small fleet of Solos most still running 3DR firmware. I'd like to switch over to Open Solo and I'm wondering if it is possible or if anyone has used QGroundControl with Open Solo?

Last year for this class I had students using Tower and it appears that Tower is not only no longer being developed/supported it is no longer available in the Play Store. Yes, I do have Solex (with Missions and other add-ons), but I am just wondering about QGC at this time.

Thank You

If you're using the stock cube with the archaic ArduCopter 3.2ish firmware, there may be some things QGC doesn't like because that firmware is so old. If you're using the green cube with more modern ArduCopter versions, QGC will certainly be fine. And if you jump on the ArduCopter 3.7 beta with Open Solo, you will be even better with no green cube required.
Pedals - Unfortunately I don't have the time or money to upgrade this fleet to GC. Is the 3.7 beta available through Solex's update functions?

Following up, and perhaps I should start a new thread...Regarding Mission Maker for Ardupilot...has anyone used it with stock firmware or Open Solo? If so, did it connect via UDP? I receive the same error using both stock FW and Open Solo...Connection failed: bind failed: EADDRINUSE (Address already in use). Any help is appreciated.

Is the 5v signalling mod necessary on a stock cube to use AC 3.7 beta to operate safely?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo