Pucker Time! Man, That Was Close!

Reaction score
Went to a property to take some pictures for my brother in-law. House sits close to the road and I had forgot that across the road there was a steep hill full of tall trees. The quad was out of site and I am flying FPV. As I am backing away from the house, I hear this zzzt zzzzt zzzzt! I then realize what had probably happened, but I also realized I still had full control! Watched the video later and see the leaves I chewed up! Whew that was close.

As a side note; this place sits low in a valley and besides the pond there was almost no clear area to take off from with tall trees all around. I didn't expect that I would be able to get decent GPS, but after about 3 min I had 7sats and 2.4 HDOP. But as usual, I flew mostly in manual anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thats great you caught it on video. Best tree trimming I have seen.

Yup, that was close! I did the same thing in a National Forest here in WA. Was flying (Phantom 2) backwards and went right through the upper limbs of an Aspen. Didn't even realize until after I watched the video. I could have easily ended up in the river.

Shame is you can't legally start that tree trimming business yet until FAA gets off their rump!!!!!!

Shame is you can't legally start that tree trimming business yet until FAA gets off their rump!!!!!!
Very True! That's why I didn't charge the landowner. Couldn't let it be considered commercial.

Looks like if we can get some CF blades we got one more option for our solos. Forget a cherry picker I'm doing some solo yard work tomorrow.

Close call glad to see things ended up ok.

Went to a property to take some pictures for my brother in-law. House sits close to the road and I had forgot that across the road there was a steep hill full of tall trees. The quad was out of site and I am flying FPV. As I am backing away from the house, I hear this zzzt zzzzt zzzzt! I then realize what had probably happened, but I also realized I still had full control! Watched the video later and see the leaves I chewed up! Whew that was close.

As a side note; this place sits low in a valley and besides the pond there was almost no clear area to take off from with tall trees all around. I didn't expect that I would be able to get decent GPS, but after about 3 min I had 7sats and 2.4 HDOP. But as usual, I flew mostly in manual anyway.

Wow, yeah pretty close. You just patented the first flying brush saw!

I did the same thing when I first tried the Selfie. Went the opposite way I thought it was going to go......up over my house into the pecan tree and started trimming leaves and limbs (I didn't tell ya'll that part earlier...too embarrassed).:D I hit pause in time to keep it from going deeper into the tree.

I was very surprised the props showed no signs of chips or damage.

Here was my close call that I had today.

Reactions: Raybro
Here was my close call that I had today.
That was 2 close calls in the same flight. You should have bought a lotto ticket that afternoon..

It can also be used as a lawn mower! Here's mine from last week,,,or a crop duster.

I live with my house backing to a hillside then a cornfield.. Im wondering if I could use my solo for detassling corn? :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela