Propeller removal

Reaction score
New solo owner. Have flown half a dozen times successfully. When I initially installed the propellers I hand tightened them and let the motors self tighten the rest of the way. I can not remove the props now and know I'm turning the right way as I'm turing the opposite direction as the arrows on the props. The props are not cross threaded.

What is the best tool to use to remove them? What size wrench?

Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would suggest a small strap wrench around the motor body, hands only on the prop. The props unscrew opposite the arrow on the motor pod. Good luck.

I've changed props a few times, and it's no fun. I carry a small hobby screwdriver and pliers. I put the screw driver in the moto so it doesn't touch the parts of the motor only the case of it. Then from above I grip the prop nut with pliers, and turn in the correct direction for each props.

I hope this helps

I've changed props a few times, and it's no fun. I carry a small hobby screwdriver and pliers. I put the screw driver in the moto so it doesn't touch the parts of the motor only the case of it. Then from above I grip the prop nut with pliers, and turn in the correct direction for each props.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion!

As others have mentioned, a mini strap wrench works well. I also just use rubber bands and put them around the motor for a better grip for my hand. Don't squeeze the motor bells with vice grips or anything like that or you can cause them to distort and permanently become unbalanced!

There is also a pretty cool prop wrench designed specifically for Solo props: Solo Motor Retainer & Prop Wrench Set

If you have a 3d printer, here is another site with a similar prop wrench:
Free 3d models for 3DR Solo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks