Polarize or ND for landscape?

Reaction score
New Solo owner wanting to capture beautiful rural landscapes. Did a bunch of research but still can’t decide which is more essential, polarizer or ND filter for my GP4B. My Solo has the gimbal, so i’m guessing maybe “jello” isnt an issue for me...so go with polarizer? Any advice would be appreciated!

Polarization and ND serve two different purposes. It is not a matter of one or the other. ND reduces light for bright scenes to prevent it from being washed out and slow the frame rate down. Polarization reduces glare. You can use one, the other, or both. I have ND-PL filters so I can do both at once. And I have plain ND and a plain PL. It just depends on what you need at the time.

That said, polarization can be tricky. You have to rotate the filter based on lighting angles. Basically looking through it to see how it looks and putting it on the camera like that. But face a different direction and it becomes moot. So YMMV.

Don't forget that polarization costs about 1-stop of light, so, for instance, an ND8 with polarization is more like a ND9.

Polarization can also cause banding or tonal shifts across the sky if you're going to include a lot of sky. You can decide if you like that or not. I don't mind myself most times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea