Please help traveling with solo

Reaction score
I leave Friday from lax to Orlando and then doing 7 days on a Caribbean cruise. I've intended to bring my solo but I'm having issues understanding if I'm able to. This is from carnival, I dont know what they mean by drone camera(it sounds eerily familiar to a California senator ignorantly talking about firearms)

"EXEMPTIONS (ITEMS FOR PORT USE ONLY)

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship, for port use only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

· Drone Cameras

· Snorkel gear

· Segways

· Skateboards

· Golf clubs

· Fishing rods

· Tennis rackets

· Kites

· Roller blades or skates

· Collapsible Wagon *

· Metal detectors

· Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)

· Beach chair

· Umbrella

· Portable Folding Bicycles (maximum 20 inch tires)

* For the safety of our guests, the collapsible wagon cannot be rolled onto/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation and cannot be rolled off/onto the ship while in port.

Please Note - It is the responsibility of the guest to check with the local laws of each port as Carnival will not be responsible for confiscated items by Foreign Governments.

Before you pack, please review Carnival Corporation Prohibited Items and Carnival Cruise Line Additional Prohibited Items, Exemptions and Other Considerations.

For your reference, these items cannot be taken off the ship in the United States during the cruise or debarkation day.

Thanks,

Alicia Ivey"

Reactions: Michael Bowie
I looked this up because I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks and I wanted to take the Solo or the Spark. Yes I own a DJI...I know.
Here's what I found out. Drones are on their list of 'prohibited items.'
However, 'drone cameras' are on their list of exemptions (for port use only)
I think I'm just going to call or email them to clarify.

That sounds suspiciously like something left open to interpretation by the ship. But I bet they don't want quads on their ships, they just don't know the correct terminology.

What I posted was the email I got in response from them. They just copied and pasted from the website. It really sucks because the solo has a camera added on technically so it may be prohibited, however my race quad has a fpv camera so it's probably ok, yet completely backwards. It is worded as if i can bring my drones camera without the drone lol.

A more important issue is the risk of flying a drone in a foreign country where you don't know the laws.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm in the process of trying to book my cruise with Carnival and I had the same questions. From your email it sounds like the Solo would be fine as long as you don't use it on the ship.

I've read stories of quads getting confiscated by the ships crew and holding it until the end of the cruise.
Ive also read about a people being allowed to take drones onto the ship without issue.

Not my words I found this online,

"Need to call Corporate Office.

Here is what I know, the drone is going to be confiscated upon boarding the cruise at the port and not returned until the end of the cruise, I do not know the reason for this. Unless you make arrangements prior to the cruise, but do not make arrangements at the port, once you are there they have you. I would start calling now the cruise liner and if you get an acceptable answer I would call to talk to different agents. Amazing on how you get different answers when you talk to different people.

Here is another with conflicting info, I would call and speak to someone and get it in writing

"Today we boarded our Carnival cruise out of Galveston TX. When my drone went thru the X ray machine they told me drones were not allowed. They told me they had sent several folks back to their car to store their drones there. I politely told the security folks that drones were approved on their website. They took me to their supervisor. He confirmed that drones are allowed on the ship, but can't be flown from the ship. Don't be afraid to stand your ground respectively".

I leave Friday from lax to Orlando and then doing 7 days on a Caribbean cruise. I've intended to bring my solo but I'm having issues understanding if I'm able to.

You ever get clarification?

Port is anyplace the ship is anchored to a port- chances are you can’t fly near or on the port anyway- definitely not on the ship...
You can take it but chances of something on port or STOP happens - the ship is Bon Voyage with you and maybe the confiscated drone camera or drone

I have been on several cruises on Royal Caribbean. I have tried in the past to take my solo on the Oais cruise ship. I email the security team, and the security team email me back and said that that drones was not allow on the ship. I have heard that some of the other cruise lines do allow drones on board. you have to check them in to security, and when you get off at the port, you can then check the drone out. But you are not allow to fly the drone onboard or around the ship.

I am pretty sure Carnival allowed drones onboard the ships, but not fly them onboard. that is what I frought about two years ago, when I was trying to take my solo on board Royal Caribbean. I tried to used the justiflication to the security team on Royal Caribbean that Carnival was allowing drones onboard, but not flying from the ship. The security still did not ok my solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo