Platform suggestions for Black Magic CC

Reaction score
Evening all. So I currently own a Solo and I love it. I think it's fantastic (although not without its issues). My biggest issue with the solo is the GoPro. It just wasn't designed for this sort of thing and I'm frustrated with the footage I'm getting. I'm therefore looking at a new rig that will allow me to lift an BMMCC or BMPCC and gimbal. I've seen a video online of the BMMCC being attached to an X8 which looked fantastic. The additional payload of the camera, gimbal and lens is 1.3kg so it would need to be something that could lift that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Custom build expect to spend a few grand

Yeah I'm quite happy to spend the money for a decent build that does the job I want it to.

Not real familiar with DJI MATRICE might check it out. I have my airframe built it is running on a pixhawk 1 right now awaiting the 2. It is an x8 hoping to lift about 4 lbs for 20 - 30 minutes

Not real familiar with DJI MATRICE might check it out. I have my airframe built it is running on a pixhawk 1 right now awaiting the 2. It is an x8 hoping to lift about 4 lbs for 20 - 30 minutes

The Matrice looks really good actually. Very expensive once you factor in batteries. It uses 6 inspire batteries. A set of six is £799 so you can see how it gets eye wateringly expensive. The Matrice and Ronin MX come in at £5099 for the pair. I considered the X8 but they've discontinued it now.

My X8 is a custom that rose from the crash of a 3dr one. New pixhawk, new ESCs, new tarot 650 frame, replacing motors next

Ah right I see. I thought it was stock. I'd really like a custom build but I'm not talented enough for it unfortunately. I may have to just give me specs and requirements to a company and have them build me one.

I purchased my first drone a year ago, a solo
it got me interested. Prior to that no knowledge of drones and how they work.
You might surprise yourself.

But yes lots of people out there will do it for the right money

I had the Iris+ as my first, then I bought a Solo. I know the basic parts and how it all roughly goes together. Actually calibrating it all and configuring it is what I'd struggle with.

nowadays its much easier, they even have autotune built in
I just loaded the generic x8 PIDS and configuration and mine flew fine

stock parameters with just calibrations

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Benzo
Not to rain on anyone's parade.....

I used the BM production 4K camera when it came out. It's trash.it was out of focus, poor detail and more. I ended up finishing the shoot with a GH 4.

The least expensive but HQ solution would be the inspire with the MFT camera mounted on it from DJI. All stock, already integrated, tested and calibrated, and compared to your ideas above a lot less cheaper. Something under $5K.

Hope this helps

Not to rain on anyone's parade.....

I used the BM production 4K camera when it came out. It's trash.it was out of focus, poor detail and more. I ended up finishing the shoot with a GH 4.

The least expensive but HQ solution would be the inspire with the MFT camera mounted on it from DJI. All stock, already integrated, tested and calibrated, and compared to your ideas above a lot less cheaper. Something under $5K.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I'm surprised you've had a bad experience with the camera. I've heard nothing but good things about the BM cameras. My main attraction to them was the cinematic look of the footage. How've you found the Inspire Pro?

That camera is not even in the same league as black magic

Well I've just had a quote from a company for a custom build. Including the full setup (RC, monitor, batteries etc) it's coming in at £2400/$3000. That's including a custom built gimbal. Pretty good actually. The frame is a carbon tarot T810 sport hex. Looks pretty nice actually.

Thanks for that. I'm surprised you've had a bad experience with the camera. I've heard nothing but good things about the BM cameras. My main attraction to them was the cinematic look of the footage. How've you found the Inspire Pro?

I have no experience with the Inspire Pro or RAW. I have loads of experience with 4K, I've been shooting it since early 2014 - GoPro excluded.

You can see some of my side by side comparisons here

There are other comparison shots, there is also some amazing stuff from the GoPro if you know how to process it. This is my favourite example

Hope this helps

Care to share your recipe for a 20min X8? I am looking to build one myself.

Rusty

I have no experience with the Inspire Pro or RAW. I have loads of experience with 4K, I've been shooting it since early 2014 - GoPro excluded.

You can see some of my side by side comparisons here

There are other comparison shots, there is also some amazing stuff from the GoPro if you know how to process it. This is my favourite example

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. That GoPro footage looks great. Much better than I ever manage to get. How do you process it?

Rusty I am going down to 630kv motors with 13 inch props on a 4s 10000, don't know if I will make the 20 minutes not much of a wiz at this stuff. Still pretty much learning

Evening all. So I currently own a Solo and I love it. I think it's fantastic (although not without its issues). My biggest issue with the solo is the GoPro. It just wasn't designed for this sort of thing and I'm frustrated with the footage I'm getting. I'm therefore looking at a new rig that will allow me to lift an BMMCC or BMPCC and gimbal. I've seen a video online of the BMMCC being attached to an X8 which looked fantastic. The additional payload of the camera, gimbal and lens is 1.3kg so it would need to be something that could lift that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Here is my S1000 modified with a Pixhawk and BMD 4K MicroCC

Attachments

• BlackMagicSession2.jpg
    BlackMagicSession2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics