Peau camera/lenses on sale ever? -- got a knock off, testing it out

P-eeew lenses are absurdly high $$$$$. I have a cynical feeling that these guys came up with that name when they thought how their hugely marked up priced lenses stunk. What a joke. I have been playing with a slew of FPV and mini cams for a couple of years and have bought MANY different size lenses for these small FPV cameras for $5 to $10 a piece. Recently, I bought a gopro 3 black for $50 on ebay. It had a scratched lens. I found a chinese lens that had a tighter FOV on Ebay that would fit the gopro for $20 Ebay listing:"4.35MM Lens With Printing 1/2.3 Inch 10MP IR 72D NON FISHEYE for Gopro 4 Camera." It works great! Superb focus and color; no aberrations; fits and adjusts just like the factory gopro lens. Additionally, I bought a skylight filter on Ebay as well; and NOT for $30 like on that despicable ripoff Amazon site. I paid 99 cents WITH shipping for that filter. It fits and WORKS perfectly AND is light enough to not stress the gimbal and balance. I suspect that these rippoffs with fancy shmancy names are buying the SAME lens and filters and JACKING the price to you guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDan
I ordered one of those lenses for $10.50. It ships from NY so I should have it in a few days. We'll see how it works. My main concern is that the narrower FOV will make the micro-vibrations of the Gimbal show up more in the video. Both of my Solos have the problem that I'm sure is caused by the stiff original HDMI cable. 3DR really dropped the ball on that one. I know there is an aftermarket HDMI ribbon cable for $30 or $40, but this is just one more example of an overpriced aftermarket solution.
A thinner and more flexible generic HDMI cable should not cost more than $5.

Last edited:
On mine, the lens fits

Which lens are you using?
It's all good. I got the exterior lens cap to snap on yesterday.

I bought the cheap lens that others are talking about. It had a long estimated ship time to me, but it was quicker than expected.

If I get some time I'll try it out today. As you can see from this long drawn out thread, I haven't had much time to get out with the solo.

I hooked the go pro to the tv and focused the new lens as best as I could. There's a lot of play in the thread in that "in focus" area, so I'm hoping I have it at it's crispest. I tried to focus on font from a distance. Like an eye test. We'll see.

Will post video in the next couple of months lol.

It's all good. I got the exterior lens cap to snap on yesterday.

I bought the cheap lens that others are talking about. It had a long estimated ship time to me, but it was quicker than expected.

If I get some time I'll try it out today. As you can see from this long drawn out thread, I haven't had much time to get out with the solo.

I hooked the go pro to the tv and focused the new lens as best as I could. There's a lot of play in the thread in that "in focus" area, so I'm hoping I have it at it's crispest. I tried to focus on font from a distance. Like an eye test. We'll see.

Will post video in the next couple of months lol.
Put some teflon plumbers tape on the threads to keep it in place once you get it in focus. See you around Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the teflon tape tip, that really snugged it up.

So I'm actually a little ahead of schedule and went out for a fly today. There's a crew painting the local water tower so I stopped to chat with them and they were happy to let me fly around them and send them some still frames.

The lens looks pretty damn good - except for the left side of the frame. For some reason it seems a little out of focus. Is this the risk of buying a cheap lens or can I actually slightly adjust only one side of a lens??.

Here's a still of the 3.8mm knock off. No filters on quick out and fly with GP4.

FPSN2P.jpg

Thanks for the teflon tape tip, that really snugged it up.

So I'm actually a little ahead of schedule and went out for a fly today. There's a crew painting the local water tower so I stopped to chat with them and they were happy to let me fly around them and send them some still frames.

The lens looks pretty damn good - except for the left side of the frame. For some reason it seems a little out of focus. Is this the risk of buying a cheap lens or can I actually slightly adjust only one side of a lens??.

Here's a still of the 3.8mm knock off. No filters on quick out and fly with GP4.

FPSN2P.jpg
Awesome shot! Yeah, that is one of the risk but you could always exchange it.

Since the company is cheap and off-shore, I didn't expect much service. So I just sent an email and sent the order number and a sample photo of the left side blur. We'll see if I hear anything back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela