Parks and Recreation

this is not the first video I have seen of parks if county state and federal parks are no fly zones how is everyone taken them or are they only flying in city parks that the only ones I can fly in is owned by the town or are you all flying illegal my very first flight was at a county park and the guy came out of no where in like 2 minutes

County Parks in Florida are not off limits as far as I know. I fly at one all the time.
Depends on the county. Broward county only allows RC at two designated parks, Vista View and Markham. It is stated on their website.
Palm Beach county does not have any restrictions noted on their website.

Reactions: twk01
Rules are changing quickly. I just noticed no fly signs in a county park near me. None were there last year. Stay informed.

Rules are changing quickly. I just noticed no fly signs in a county park near me. None were there last year. Stay informed.

Is it not true that FAA has said none of these state and local laws, regulations are valid because they are superseded by federal control of the National Airspace?

Is it not true that FAA has said none of these state and local laws, regulations are valid because they are superseded by federal control of the National Airspace?
are you saying that you can fly from these parks even if the park rangers say you can not or you saying you can fly over the park from a spot outside the park like a ranger told me that once im out side the gate he has no control over where I fly

are you saying that you can fly from these parks even if the park rangers say you can not or you saying you can fly over the park from a spot outside the park like a ranger told me that once im out side the gate he has no control over where I fly

I believe FAA has ruled that National Parks, Airports (with some caveats),and some other FAA designated places such as forest fires or temporary emergency areas are FAA ‘no fly zones’. However local and state laws do not control National Airspace and may not take precedence over federal law.

Local parks have the right to deny you launching or landing in their parks, but they do not own the actual airspace.

Reactions: twk01
I believe FAA has ruled that National Parks, Airports (with some caveats),and some other FAA designated places such as forest fires or temporary emergency areas are FAA ‘no fly zones’. However local and state laws do not control National Airspace and may not take precedence over federal law.

This is not entirely correct. Emergencies like hurricane, tornado, and flood disaster areas often have TFRs issued covering their areas - BUT it is quite possible to receive permission to fly in them. They become Temporary Controlled Airspace. So in layman's terms they do essentially become NFZ for the hobbyist flyer.

BUT, the National Parks are *not* by default controlled airspace. Each Superintendent of a NP has the right to decide whether launching/landing/operation are allowed in the park and if so, when and where. Overflight is still allowed but must follow all other FAA rules regarding usage.

See Unmanned Aircraft in the National Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

Reactions: Coastwise and twk01
This is not entirely correct. Emergencies like hurricane, tornado, and flood disaster areas often have TFRs issued covering their areas - BUT it is quite possible to receive permission to fly in them. They become Temporary Controlled Airspace. So in layman's terms they do essentially become NFZ for the hobbyist flyer.

BUT, the National Parks are *not* by default controlled airspace. Each Superintendent of a NP has the right to decide whether launching/landing/operation are allowed in the park and if so, when and where. Overflight is still allowed but must follow all other FAA rules regarding usage.

good read when I was in new Mexico the way they stop me from flying over a national area was a restricted are space from the ground to 500 AGL so that leaves a fly over illegal another one told once out side the gate he could not stop a flyover if that's what I wanted to do but the fort I wanted to fly over would be past line of sight :(

Just_Bruce,

I stand corrected. Thank you. You did a much better job at stating that which I was trying to say.

Joe Homer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40