Parachute Deployment Mode?

Reaction score
Arducopter can detect a crash. How quickly can it detect a free fall condition?

Is there a parameter setting in Arducopter to cut the motors quickly enough so that a parachute would not be sliced after deployment?

Let me elaborate... When describing how Arducopter senses landings in the sticky, Pedals said that "It will essentially be disoriented and think it's still in the air. Since it isn't suicidal, it will not disarm if it thinks it's still in the air."

Is there a way to change this and let it trust the chute when it senses disorientation, say at a roll or pitch of >80 degrees from horizontal?

Last edited:
Let me elaborate... When describing how Arducopter senses landings in the sticky, Pedals said that "It will essentially be disoriented and think it's still in the air. Since it isn't suicidal, it will not disarm if it thinks it's still in the air."

Is there a way to change this and let it trust the chute when it senses disorientation, say at a roll or pitch of >80 degrees from horizontal?
Straight from the Ardupilot/Copter docs >> Parachute — Copter documentation

When will the parachute deploy?
When the “Crash Check” feature determines that the vehicle has lost attitude control and has begun falling, the motors will be stopped and the parachute will deploy automatically. The following must all be true for a full 2 seconds for the crash checker to trigger the parachute release:

• The motors are armed
  • The vehicle is not “landed” (the vehicle will consider itself landed if the output throttle is less than 25%, the motors have hit their lower limit, the vehicle is not rotating by more than 20deg/sec and the pilot is not requesting a climb. All this must be true for 1 second for the vehicle to consider itself landed)
  • The vehicle is not in FLIP or ACRO flight mode
  • the roll and/or pitch angle of the vehicle is 20 degrees off from the target lean angle
  • the barometer shows the vehicle is not climbing
  • the vehicle is above the CHUTE_ALT_MIN altitude

Reactions: Wetstone
Thanks. I need to read up on this. I have a Hubsan chute with its own fall detection mechanism and servo. Just wanted to make sure Solo shuts off.

Thanks again!

Reactions: DJMc and XevetS
Bonjour,

I am building an extended Solo model (Hexa X) with a MTOW around 7Kg ; and I am now installing a parachute.
I have covered the manual mode setting with remote control which arms a sequence to cut-off motors, activate a buzzer, and with a short delay to deply the parachute (servo actuation), all works fine.
Concerning automatic modes, this topic Parachute — Copter documentation is OK for rapid pitch & roll angle variation, but I wonder if it works also for rapid vertical dive (above a given vertical speed down threshold) with no attitude change (lower that the ANGLE_MAX value) .
So, my question :
- If this is not covered by the above, does it exist a way to deploy parachute when a sudden vertical dive ?

By the way, I have a second one:
- Does the command A+B+Pause deploys also parachute ?

Thanks for support.

That's a great question. If perchance the copter were to fall vertically without pitch or roll, my chute would not deploy.

As far as I know, the A+B+pause only shuts off the motors.

That's a great question. If perchance the copter were to fall vertically without pitch or roll, my chute would not deploy.

As far as I know, the A+B+pause only shuts off the motors.
Thanks. Still possible to actuate it manually, but more stressfull...

Anyone with more input ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc