Panning speed control

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I know you can control the speed of the gimbal rotation by adjusting the roller on the right front of the controller but is there a way to control (slow down) the panning/rotation speed of the SOLO itself, beyond the obvious of using the left controller stick? Is there maybe a setting in TOWER that you can adjust to slow rotation down? That's been one of my biggest challenges to create a slow smooth pan without making yourself dizzy watching the video afterwards.

I'm unclear to me if you are using Tower and trying to slow thing down within Tower or wondering if there is a setting in tower you can change to affect the behavior when using the regular app?

Have you changed the speed settings in the main app itself? Go into the app, go to settings, click on solo. There are a few places to adjust the speed.

I'm unclear to me if you are using Tower and trying to slow thing down within Tower or wondering if there is a setting in tower you can change to affect the behavior when using the regular app?

Have you changed the speed settings in the main app itself? Go into the app, go to settings, click on solo. There are a few places to adjust the speed.
Solo and controller must be on and connected to access these selections. There are settings for Solo speed and Yaw speed under "performance".

This is covered in section 8.5, page 66 of the owners manual which I'm sure everybody has read.:D

Last edited:
Solo and controller must be on and connected to access these selections. There are settings for Solo speed and Yaw speed under "performance".

What's the difference between the software settings, and the roller on the controller?

Hang on I think you're confusing the directions of movement here.

• The roller on the right side of the controller, controls the speed of the gimbal TILT (up/down) when it's moving between the preset 1 and 2 buttons. That roller has absolutely no affect on any other aspect of movement other than up/down tilting between the preset buttons.

• The manual TILT (up/down) of the gimbal using the paddle on the left, which does not have a user adjustable rate. It varies up/down speed with you far you push the paddle. There is a hack to adjust the proportional rate, but it isn't a setting somewhere you can just change.

• PAN is turning the nose of the solo left and right (yaw movement). This is controlled by the left stick moving left and right. Push the stick left, the solo rotates left. The further you push the stick, the faster it turns.

• The camera pan turtle/rabbitt slider in the settings section of the app controls the maximum rate or turn, and how fast it accelerates the turn. This basically adjusts the proportional output of the left stick. So you can put it on turtle to prevent you from making super abrupt yaw movements. Or you can put it on rabbit if you want to be able to make really quick turns.

• During smart shots, it is really independent of all of the above. The onboard computer in the controller and solo is doing all the thinking and work, making nice smooth movements all by itself.
If I'm reading @Mr GruntHunter's post correctly, I think he wants to slow the yaw movement down. So first thing is to make sure the camera pan slider is on full turtle. If that's not slow enough, there are some options, but none are easy user settings designed to be changed. You can further manually reduce the yaw parameters in tower. But those settings will be overwritten in short order every time you change something on the solo controller/app or reboot. The other option is changing the proportional output of the stick using SSH commands.

Hang on I think you're confusing the directions of movement here.

• The roller on the right side of the controller, controls the speed of the gimbal TILT (up/down) when it's moving between the preset 1 and 2 buttons. That roller has absolutely no affect on any other aspect of movement other than up/down tilting between the preset buttons.

• The manual TILT (up/down) of the gimbal using the paddle on the left, which does not have a user adjustable rate. It varies up/down speed with you far you push the paddle. There is a hack to adjust the proportional rate, but it isn't a setting somewhere you can just change.

• PAN is turning the nose of the solo left and right (yaw movement). This is controlled by the left stick moving left and right. Push the stick left, the solo rotates left. The further you push the stick, the faster it turns.

• The camera pan turtle/rabbitt slider in the settings section of the app controls the maximum rate or turn, and how fast it accelerates the turn. This basically adjusts the proportional output of the left stick. So you can put it on turtle to prevent you from making super abrupt yaw movements. Or you can put it on rabbit if you want to be able to make really quick turns.

• During smart shots, it is really independent of all of the above. The onboard computer in the controller and solo is doing all the thinking and work, making nice smooth movements all by itself.
If I'm reading @Mr GruntHunter's post correctly, I think he wants to slow the yaw movement down. So first thing is to make sure the camera pan slider is on full turtle. If that's not slow enough, there are some options, but none are easy user settings designed to be changed. You can further manually reduce the yaw parameters in tower. But those settings will be overwritten in short order every time you change something on the solo controller/app or reboot. The other option is changing the proportional output of the stick using SSH commands.
Thanks P2P,
Now I'm confused by something else, specifically your first two bullets. I thought the roller on the right side of the controller adjusted the tilt speed for when you used the manual tilt lever on the left side of the controller because I thought that was the only way you moved the camera/gimbal up and down.
OK on bullet #3. That appears to be what I was looking for. Once you change the setting does it stay there until you change it again or does it default to the original setting everytime you power SOLO back up?

The wheel on the right side of the controller controls how quickly the gimbal will pan up and down between the angle presets defined by buttons 1 and 2.

The paddle on the left side of the controller is manual so I think there aren't really settings you can change unless the "camera movement" slider in the performance settings things affects it.

The wheel on the right side of the controller controls how quickly the gimbal will pan up and down between the angle presets defined by buttons 1 and 2.

The paddle on the left side of the controller is manual so I think there aren't really settings you can change unless the "camera movement" slider in the performance settings things affects it.
Thanks for the reply and clarification. Here I was rolling that speed adjustment all over the place thinking I was adjusting the tilt speed. I'm starting to get a little feel, and lighter touch, of the manual control lever but I now know I need to go back and look at the performance settings and see what I can do with them.

A side note: I'm not sure how you're holding the controller but if you're a stick pincher rather than a stick thumber try using your thumbs. It also helps some people to use neck straps for the controller so they're thinking less about holding the controller with their hands and they have more finger freedom.

Hmmmm never heard of a 'stick pincher' :) I use my thumbs. Say, speaking of neck straps, I thought one was supposed to come with the SOLO. When I was trying to register I ended up in a chat mode and asked that question and was told that I should be receiving a neck strap as well as leg extenders. That was two weeks ago. I haven't received anything yet. Has anyone else received anything from 3DR after registering their SOLO ?

Where did you hear that?? Sign me up! (Sorry for the huge image)
graphic1.jpg

I guess that's what the neck straps are for? I use a little phone so I usually don't have that problem.

Some day I want to try using the HDMI out on my tablet for a real monitor but that's a lot of stuff to haul around.

Thanks for the reply and clarification. Here I was rolling that speed adjustment all over the place thinking I was adjusting the tilt speed. I'm starting to get a little feel, and lighter touch, of the manual control lever but I now know I need to go back and look at the performance settings and see what I can do with them.
I still can't use the tilt paddle smoothly so I rely heavily on the presets.

Where did you hear that?? Sign me up! (Sorry for the huge image)
graphic1.jpg
After I registered it took a long time to get them. They weren't worth the wait- I quit waiting and got the folding feet from 3DRelish and used a strap I had left over from work. Lots of them on eBay.

You can't use a strap with the stock anchor point on the controller because it will tip forward. I added an anchor which works for me.
View media item 327View media item 326You can see it below the hinge.

Do you just leave your presets at 0 and 90 degrees then? I had been thinking about posting a query as to what the most popular, and useful, presets are. :)
I use 85 and 45. I usually shoot at 85 to make sure the props don't show up. 45 is just a general compromise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc