P3Pro owner - Just ordered a Solo

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I own a Phantom 3 Professional which I have been quite happy with. I recently sold my Phantom 2 to fund the purchase of a Solo, because I've been intrigued by it ever since it launched.

Ever since purchasing the Phantom 3, my Phantom 2 has been collecting dust, so I figured I would get a lot more use out of a Solo. Looking forward to being able to purchase the gimbal and extra batteries eventually.

Can of worms = opened. :)

Actually, you might want to read through some of the discussions on this board. I'm a new Solo owner (and a newb to multi-rotors), and I frequented many of the multi-rotor sites before making my decision. This board seems to be the best in terms of honest, civil discourse. I regard rrmccabe highly. Hopefully, it doesn't change your mind on your purchase, though...

Oh believe me, I've read through many of the threads regarding the particular issues this quad has been experiencing. I took a leap of faith when I ordered it, so I hope it all works out in the end.

Thanks for the welcome. May I ask why you're an ex solo owner?
Just not what I expected. Buying a P3P was final nail in its coffin.

I think they are a pretty good company. It's just not going to be as polished as what you are flying now.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Just not what I expected. Buying a P3P was final nail in its coffin.

I think they are a pretty good company. It's just not going to be as polished as what you are flying now.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Based on what i've read, I agree with it not being a fully-baked product at current moment. Once the bugs are worked out, I do believe it has a lot of potential, due to it's modular and open source background.

Reactions: Jubalr and Raybro
Based on what i've read, I agree with it not being a fully-baked product at current moment. Once the bugs are worked out, I do believe it has a lot of potential, due to it's modular and open source background.
I like your attitude.....we need more of that here!
Welcome!

Well my Solo arrived today and I had a chance to take it up on its maiden flight.

Here are my first impressions:
  • It holds position VERY well
  • Video feed is laggy and inconsistent as compared to light bridge on a P3. When changing settings while the bird is flying, the video feed freezes. I can get it going again by clicking "home" and "fly solo" again. Overall i'm pretty disappointed with the live video feed. I guess i'm just spoiled with how well the P3 performs
  • The app, although intuitive, does not seem to be as polished as what i'm used to with the P3
  • Auto land is great
  • The bird doesn't seem to be as spry/agile as the P3 so far. I only flew in GPS mode, and this comparison is made based on how the P3 flies in GPS mode.

Hopefully it isn't raining tomorrow so I can fly it again.

Reactions: Raybro
Well my Solo arrived today and I had a chance to take it up on its maiden flight.

Here are my first impressions:
  • It holds position VERY well
  • Video feed is laggy and inconsistent as compared to light bridge on a P3. When changing settings while the bird is flying, the video feed freezes. I can get it going again by clicking "home" and "fly solo" again. Overall i'm pretty disappointed with the live video feed. I guess i'm just spoiled with how well the P3 performs
  • The app, although intuitive, does not seem to be as polished as what i'm used to with the P3
  • Auto land is great
  • The bird doesn't seem to be as spry/agile as the P3 so far. I only flew in GPS mode, and this comparison is made based on how the P3 flies in GPS mode.

Hopefully it isn't raining tomorrow so I can fly it again.
Welcome Sean! Not sure what you are using to display the feed and app, but the quality and smoothness of the feed is very device dependant. Some have had your experience, but most here get a good feed. I personally use the NExus 7 2013 model, and have not had an app freeze and the feed is smooth.
Remember to DL tower and set your RTH a little higher (stock 49') unless you don't need it where you fly. Since you already know how to fly you will probably want to crank up the performance sliders in 'settings'. Then assign A or B to Manual and try that. I think you will see a big difference. Manual is only Alt hold so very easy to fly.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Welcome Sean! Not sure what you are using to display the feed and app, but the quality and smoothness of the feed is very device dependant. Some have had your experience, but most here get a good feed. I personally use the NExus 7 2013 model, and have not had an app freeze and the feed is smooth.
Remember to DL tower and set your RTH a little higher (stock 49') unless you don't need it where you fly. Since you already know how to fly you will probably want to crank up the performance sliders in 'settings'. Then assign A or B to Manual and try that. I think you will see a big difference. Manual is only Alt hold so very easy to fly.

Fly Safe..
Jubal

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 on Lollipop 5.0.1, so I've got plenty of processing power. I'll try it again when I get home from work and record my screen.

I have a couple of other tablets I can use including a Nexus 7 2013 and a Note 10.1 2014 edition. I just need to find a good source for the 3DR Solo APK so I can sideload it onto my Note 10.1. My quick google search yielded multiple links from less than trustworthy websites.

Perhaps my expectations are just unreasonably high based on my experience with the lightbridge transmission system on the P3. The video feed on my P3 using an Ipad Air or my Note 4 is SILKY smooth.

As I gaze into the can of said worms ...

I am sorry ... In my opinion Solo is not finished and was released prematurely.

Ain't nobody got time for this o_O

I would have spent more money if provided with the product described in the marketing pitch.

My Solo flies and for the most part does what it was designed to do, however with limitations. The limitations have been mentioned on this forum and require time, effort and patience to manage.

I allocated $2500 for a product that was supposed to effectively automate my videography and eliminate the need to fire up a Robinson 44 to take a picture of a structure from 100 feet.

Solo has turned out to be a very expensive FPV toy.

If you have no use for Solo beyond having a cool toy that you will use to film jittery GoPro footage then you will be pleased with Solo.

If you have a specific purpose - for example you want to shoot 4K and produce something you can present on a commercial website then you may be disappointed.

That said, I am very disappointed. Solo is boxed and I am waiting for someone to post something that makes me feel better about my decision to support 3DR. I am hoping that post will come before my gimbal is released for production.

Last edited:
I owned a P3P for a week. In that time I flew 14 times before I returned it. I now own a Solo and I'm much happier even without the gimbal...there was a brief stint with a Parrot BeBop but that lasted all of 1 horrible flight before I slapped it back into the box and returned it.

- The Solo seems to be of a higher-quality materials and construction build. The P3P always felt just a bit cheap to me. I wasn't surprised when the stories of shells cracking started to appear. The Solo just feels more solid and, in my opinion, a better looking piece of equipment.

- I never really saw the range that Lightbridge was supposed to offer. The video feed on my iPad Mini 2 was always choppy although it was smoother on my iPhone 6 plus. I had trouble getting video past 3000 feet with the P3P. On the Solo my Mini works fine and I've only seen video issues at the far end of it's range. I have added $10 after-market antennas to the Solo and instead of 800'-1200' I'm seeing 2200'-2500' range over heavy wifi areas like my subdivision. the furthest I've been able to go was 5280' over flat farmland at 400' altitude and I still had one bar of signal. Also, the video feed on that run was perfect...no jitter or lag even a mile out.

- The firmware update process on the P3P is terrible...took 3 hours to do due to poor documentation on DJIs side. The Solo updated in a minute and was good to go.

- The CSC stick commands that could shut down the P3P motors mid-flight always made me hesitant to make any sudden stick moves or course corrections...there were just too many horror stories of it happening to make me feel comfortable when I took the P3P out. Would it have ever happened? Probably not, but it was always on my mind when I flew.

- The P3P can very easily tip on landing. If you don't immediately cut the motors there is an excellent chance of a tip or drift and boom, your buying props. I much prefer the landing on the Solo. the P3P also seems very "hoppy" when trying to land, I'm not sure if this was from the ground vision system kicking in or what but it would frequently jump 1'-2' a few times unless I brought it in very slowly.

- the P3P is excellent out of the box but can be a bit intimidating when going into the deeper functions of the app and the drone itself...there is very little information or documentation on the more advanced functions of the app and for a relative novice like myself this was an issue. I found the Solo Flight School vids answered almost all the questions I had before flying.

- The flexibility of the GoPro camera and the ability to use it in multiple ways, to me, justifies the added camera expense.

These are just my opinions, I purchased the P3P and the Solo as a "next step" product in my drone\quad experience so I'm not qualified to speak on the cameras or photo quality as such...I'll leave that to the photo\video experts.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait to see what comes next :)

Reactions: Flying Squirrel

These are just my opinions, I purchased the P3P and the Solo as a "next step" product in my drone\quad experience so I'm not qualified to speak on the cameras or photo quality as such...I'll leave that to the photo\video experts.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase and can't wait to see what comes next :)

I feel a little better now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela