Orbit sequences using DJI Active Track

Reaction score
ORBIT SEQUENCES USING ACTIVE TRACK.

Directly from Bali Indonesia, I figured I would provide you with some test sequences of the expanded capabilities of the Active Track system. Having the drone follow you is one thing, but using the function to orbit around a moving target is something even the most experienced pilots will recognise as a difficult shot.

The below video has 3 separate sequences where the active track function was used to orbit around moving targets.

My impressions overall is that the tool is amazing. While in Active Track, we can orbit all while changing the altitude and the camera locks in on the subject. Playing with altitude allows for beautiful reveal shots as the camera tilts upwards to reveal the background scenery.

These were low speed moving targets, and I will be testing on something that moves faster and will update.

Having been an avid Inspire 1 user, this function alone makes the purchase of the P4 justifiable as it minimises the time required to get the shots you need. This translates into more battery time to collect even more footage.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Patrice Gaucher LL.B.
CEO, Aerial Entertainment Studios
Hong Kong

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems like the testing is going well can't argue with results. Excited to see what 3drs response to these new features will be at NAB. Some of the comments in the webinar sounded promising, hope these companies keep pushing each other forward and benefit us all.

Thanks for sharing your trip.

ORBIT SEQUENCES USING ACTIVE TRACK.

Directly from Bali Indonesia, I figured I would provide you with some test sequences of the expanded capabilities of the Active Track system. Having the drone follow you is one thing, but using the function to orbit around a moving target is something even the most experienced pilots will recognise as a difficult shot.

The below video has 3 separate sequences where the active track function was used to orbit around moving targets.

My impressions overall is that the tool is amazing. While in Active Track, we can orbit all while changing the altitude and the camera locks in on the subject. Playing with altitude allows for beautiful reveal shots as the camera tilts upwards to reveal the background scenery.

These were low speed moving targets, and I will be testing on something that moves faster and will update.

Having been an avid Inspire 1 user, this function alone makes the purchase of the P4 justifiable as it minimises the time required to get the shots you need. This translates into more battery time to collect even more footage.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Patrice Gaucher LL.B.
CEO, Aerial Entertainment Studios
Hong Kong

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
You do know that the Solo Follow function allows orbit while following and altitude changes?

Reactions: Solo Keith
I di
You do know that the Solo Follow function allows orbit while following and altitude changes?
No I didn't know that. I'm not talking about a 'follow me' function that relies on GPS and the remote. This is completely different as it is tracking a moving target. I have not seen this on the Solo. I may be wrong but it seems to me like these are 2 different functions entirely. Am I wrong?

I wouldn't say 'entirely' different as the video you posted could have been done with a solo. Plus, the Solo would also allow for full free camera control as it is executing. The difference would be if you wanted to 'follow' an object that is not or could not carry the GPS device with them. That is what Active Track allows. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3DR announce this feature soon, maybe even at NAB in a couple of weeks, as it is only software.

one thing i notice with the camera is that the movement is still not smooth. the best way to describe it would be 'mechanical'. also you can see what i would call 'erratic yaw'. i don't know if that was induced by the pilot or by active track.

I wouldn't say 'entirely' different as the video you posted could have been done with a solo. Plus, the Solo would also allow for full free camera control as it is executing. The difference would be if you wanted to 'follow' an object that is not or could not carry the GPS device with them. That is what Active Track allows. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3DR announce this feature soon, maybe even at NAB in a couple of weeks, as it is only software.
That's correct, but it is a significant difference. None of this could have been shot autonomously with the Solo. Orbiting is no problem, but orbiting around a moving target all while the camera locks in in your subject, that is some pretty cool stuff that opens up to a whole new wave of possibilities. Let's hope 3DR comes up with an even improved version of this, keeping the innovation race going.
Cheers.

one thing i notice with the camera is that the movement is still not smooth. the best way to describe it would be 'mechanical'. also you can see what i would call 'erratic yaw'. i don't know if that was induced by the pilot or by active track.
The erratic yaw is pilot induced. In order for the active track system to lock on, we need to get really close to the subject. Once locked in, you can play with the radius and altitude all while the camera stays on the subject, regardless of movement.

None of this could have been shot autonomously with the Solo. Orbiting is no problem, but orbiting around a moving target all while the camera locks in in your subject, that is some pretty cool stuff that opens up to a whole new wave of possibilities. Let's hope 3DR comes up with an even improved version of this, keeping the innovation race going.
Cheers.
Actually, that is exactly what the Solo does when you use Follow With Orbit. Check here at 3:05 in... Again, how the 'Follow' is implemented is different, but the 'shot' is the same. Follow while orbiting, keeping the camera pointed at a subject and orbit all at the same time.

That's correct, but it is a significant difference. None of this could have been shot autonomously with the Solo. Orbiting is no problem, but orbiting around a moving target all while the camera locks in in your subject, that is some pretty cool stuff that opens up to a whole new wave of possibilities. Let's hope 3DR comes up with an even improved version of this, keeping the innovation race going.
Cheers.
Either you're a troll or never use solo. Bcs thats excactly what solo do

Please share a video of the Solo orbiting automatically around a moving target that is NOT holding the remote.
You can post here thats mean you have an internet connection. Fyi there is a technology named "google". You can search for information there, you just have to type it. Its not that hard, even for dji user

You can post here thats mean you have an internet connection. Fyi there is a technology named "google". You can search for information there, you just have to type it. Its not that hard, even for dji user
Clearly you are not getting my point. The 3DR Solo follow + orbit requires the operator to have the RC on him. You cannot follow an object or person unless the remote is on them.
Solo Smart Drone | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology

You win. Clearly the P4 is a much superior drone, in every way. That's not hard to have a new feature when you release something newer than something else. Most people kinda expect that sort of thing. Whoop whoop. That feature certainly isn't a show stopper and would not be used by a vast minority of flyers - even those who have the bird. But still, you win. Have a coke and a smile. Nice videos!

Please share a video of the Solo orbiting automatically around a moving target that is NOT holding the remote.

in follow mode solo can orbit. follow uses the gps from the mobile device and the mobile device is connected to the controller via wifi. so of course you don't have to hold the remote for solo to follow you. you just need a mobile device that is within range of the controller.

Again, her point is that the subject does not have to have any device at all to be followed. That's it. She's not concerned about smooth following or cinematic effect, just that a subject that has not been pre-planned can be automatically followed and orbited.

Point made. Why, though?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela