Open solo 3.0.0

Reaction score
Ok so I installed open solo on my 3dr last night. I'm running a much older version of solex (1.0.9) I believe so I wasn't able to install open solo thru the app. Also I'm not super familiar with ssh/sftp at least not as far as pushing to the solo anyway. So that left me with the hard way getting my hands dirty pulling memory cards. The install all went well. In up and running on both ratio and imx6 onboard easy peasy. Ok so now here's my problem. In the process of getting the onboard imx6 out I think I broke of the connections to the compass leg on the motherboard. Upon checking this morning i find the connecter lose and it came off completely when i tried to remove the wiring My question is will I be able to simply solder the connection back to the board and reconnect compass the calibrate so that I'll be working fine. That's a silly question and I assume the answer to that is of course yes. Now moving on to my second problem I find this morning. The on screen display seems to have turned very green and glitchy jumping around a lot or only showing a portion of the shot. If I need to video it to give a better idea of whats happening I can. For this problem I have no clue how to fix. Pedals2paddles, Hugh E, David B... or one of the other brilliant people that hang out here I could use a little help here. Here all of the version info I have /controller 3.0.0/ controller fw 3.0.0/ autopilot 1.5.3/ Solo 3.0.0/ go pro hero4 silver I'm not sure what firmware version I'm running on it.

Autocorrect fixed some things for me. That one should read " I'm up and running on both artoo and imx6 onboard

My question is will I be able to simply solder the connection back to the board and reconnect compass
If the connector is broken or your not able to solder it, you might be able to solder the leg compass wires directly to the Main-board? I omitted the leg compass on one of my Solo's with a HERE GPS-Compass...Still needed the connector though.

Last edited:
If the connector is broken or your not able to solder it, you might be able to solder the leg compass wires directly to the Main-board? I omitted the leg compass on one of my Solo's with a HERE GPS-Compass...
Yeah I had kinda thought that as well. The compass isn't my huge concern I'm pretty sure I can fix that. The camera issue on the other hand I'm at a complete loss as to what I need to do.

The Mainboard HDMI connector or the actual Gimbal HDMI connector has been known to come loose (cold solder joint) Check those first start with the one on the Gimbal.

see this>> Gimbal HDMI Port
I think I have fixed my issue I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking maybe I stopped the update before it was done. As a last ditch effort I disconnected everything ran the 3.0.0 update again giving myself about 20 minutes to be sure it was done rebooted and paired up everything seems to be working fine now. I haven't put the gimble back on yet but test running the static HDMI straight to the camera seems to be working. Thank you guys for the help. This forum is nothing short of AWESOME

Reactions: XevetS
I think I have fixed my issue I'm not sure yet. I'm thinking maybe I stopped the update before it was done. As a last ditch effort I disconnected everything ran the 3.0.0 update again giving myself about 20 minutes to be sure it was done rebooted and paired up everything seems to be working fine now. I haven't put the gimble back on yet but test running the static HDMI straight to the camera seems to be working. Thank you guys for the help. This forum is nothing short of AWESOME
No good. Camera works fine until I reinstalled the gimble then back to glitches

Check the Gimbal connections..
I had the gimble removed both times I installed the update. Would that effect it? Connections both to gimble and Wi-Fi card all seem to be fine as far as I can tell

I had the gimble removed both times I installed the update. Would that effect it? Connections both to gimble and Wi-Fi card all seem to be fine as far as I can tell
if it works with a direct connection to the camera that rules out the HDMI port on the card, inspect the gimbal HDMI connection closely maybe a bent pin,
also open the solo app and post the firmware specifics..

if it works with a direct connection to the camera that rules out the HDMI port on the card, inspect the gimbal HDMI connection closely maybe a bent pin,
also open the solo app and post the firmware specifics..
Ok I'm charging both my phone and controller currently. As soon as I can I'll get some screenshots of what exactly is going on

Reactions: XevetS
My broken compass , compass error message, gimble HDMI, shots of camera view with gimble attached. And firmware versions20180516_141500.jpg20180516_142449.jpg20180516_141721.jpgScreenshot_20180516-142651.jpgScreenshot_20180516-142650.jpgScreenshot_20180516-142706.jpgScreenshot_20180516-142709.jpgScreenshot_20180516-143129.jpgScreenshot_20180516-143134.jpg

Firmware looks good if you have mission planner you can omit the leg compass and try to calibrate to get beyond that error. But as far as the gimbal issue sounds like a bad connection check the plug end on the gimbal for any defects (the plug that goes into the camera)...And make sure the gimbal has a green breathing status LED.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikell2
Firmware looks good if you have mission planner you can omit the leg compass and try to calibrate to get beyond that error. But as far as the gimbal issue sounds like a bad connection check the plug end on the gimbal for any defects (the plug that goes into the camera)...
I'm am very scared to run mission planner I experienced the 5v vs 3.3v motor shutdown thing one day on my first solo. Thing crashed in the river never seen it again lol I'm not sure if the fact I was running mission planner at the time had anything to do with it but I've been better safe than sorry with my second bird. No more over water flights for me. I was timid about doing the video in the first place because of how very flooded the river I was over had been. Watching my baby fall 150 ft into the water fixed any chance of me ever flying over water again.

Reactions: TonySloth
I'm am very scared to run mission planner I experienced the 5v vs 3.3v motor shutdown thing one day on my first solo. Thing crashed in the river never seen it again lol I'm not sure if the fact I was running mission planner at the time had anything to do with it but I've been better safe than sorry with my second bird. No more over water flights for me. I was timid about doing the video in the first place because of how very flooded the river I was over had been. Watching my baby fall 150 ft into the water fixed any chance of me ever flying over water again.
Oh man thats sucks, just try to reflow that connector back on the board or just solder the leads to it..Mission planner is very unforgiving if you just go poking around clicking buttons but can be a great tool when needed, Don't fear using it as it does come in handy....

Reactions: Mikell2
If I'm not mistaken there two compasses on the solo. One in the leg and one on the GPS? Would it be safe to run with just one? Effects on RTH or overall performance? I'm going to assume it wouldn't be as safe as running both. I know some of solo' s features are there for redundancy

There is one in the leg and one or two (can't remember) in the pixhawk you can turn the leg compass off in mission planner but you are at risk of a fly away..Too much electrical noise inside the Solo although I'm pretty sure the solo will just land if there is a compass failure/issue I know it will throw an EFK error and trigger a specific response not sure what it would do to be honest?

Last edited:
There is one in the leg and one or two (can't remember) in the pixhawk you can turn the leg compass off in mission planner but you are at risk of a fly away..
Yeah no thank I've been down that road twice with promark's pr70 they are very prone to fly away. I'll be fixing that compass before my next flight. I don't want my solo to end up like the promarks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo