Open Solo 2.5-RC3 released!

Reaction score
(Releases · OpenSolo/documentation · GitHub)
Happy Thanksgiving! Open Solo 2.5-RC3 is ready for consumption. It is up in Solex now. And I just messaged Tom to let him know for Side Pilot, which I'm sure he'll get in shortly. Please check out the release notes for all the details. It is too long to copy and paste here, so just click and read.

I think we're getting very close to completing the beta period. A few things on my hit list to call the beta done are:
  • A thorough blessing of all smart shots on both stock solos and green cube solos. I continue to see random reports here and there of odd behavior, but it isn't consistent. Example being orbit altitude.
  • ArduCopter 3.5.5, which I believe will have the mavlink landing gear that I really want to integrate into this before release.
  • Me to organize all the commits on github and PR them into master once all the above is done.

Remember, the best location for for support on Open Solo is the Solo Beta Test group! Security Check Required. But as always, I and other will help out here too for those who refuse to conform :)

I just tried it, using Solex: (on a Solo with 3DR IMX Python scripts, never upgraded before beyond what 3DR and AC3.5.0 for the 2.1 cube)
Installed OpenSolo 2.5-RC3 on Solo, then controller.
Rebooted both.
Controller took a loong time, but Solo rebooted at least 3 times during that time.

All config were lost, including Wifi names and pairing

Feedback1: The time it takes to upload to Solo/Controller, makes it easy to be not sure which step was performed.
I suggest the controller script ends with "Controller is updated , reboot when Solo & Controller are updated" (and same for Solo)
Currently update script ends with something more generic, not "reminding" which is just done.

Feedback2: During compass calibration, I hear a sad tone at about 90%, then a happy ending when the process is done, then I get the fail-message (with design errors) from Solex - I have never had trouble calibrating this Solo before, and this is crazy, but I failed it 4 times in a row. (and gave up due to cold wind)

- I DO NOT say it's related to opensolo (it could not) or AC3.5.4 (as I don't know any related changes there since AC3.5.0) - just mentioning it in case other people experience that...

Very nice job Matt,
Just updated Solo_1 to RC-3 and 3.5.4. No real issues. Since this Solo has a PH2.0 +5V mod OpenSolo flashed the PH with 1.5.4. (This Solo was at RC-2 and 3.5.3) I had to reflash with 3.5.4. I wiped the PH first with 3.8.0 (ArduPlane), not sure it was necessay but did it anyway, then flashed with 3.5.4, reset to default parameters then loaded Solo parameters. Did a Level then Compass cal.
Went out and flew... It was again very stable and responsive.
Will get the rest of the fleet updated over the next few days.

I just tried it, using Solex: (on a Solo with 3DR IMX Python scripts, never upgraded before beyond what 3DR and AC3.5.0 for the 2.1 cube). Installed OpenSolo 2.5-RC3 on Solo, then controller. Rebooted both. Controller took a loong time, but Solo rebooted at least 3 times during that time. All config were lost, including Wifi names and pairing
The factory reset wipes out everything. So that is normal. It should take approx 10 minutes given everything it has to do.

Feedback1: The time it takes to upload to Solo/Controller, makes it easy to be not sure which step was performed. I suggest the controller script ends with "Controller is updated , reboot when Solo & Controller are updated" (and same for Solo). Currently update script ends with something more generic, not "reminding" which is just done.
Doesn't each one already popup with "Reboot Solo and controller once both packages are installed"?

Feedback2: During compass calibration, I hear a sad tone at about 90%, then a happy ending when the process is done, then I get the fail-message (with design errors) from Solex - I have never had trouble calibrating this Solo before, and this is crazy, but I failed it 4 times in a row. (and gave up due to cold wind)
You're the third person this has happened to since yesterday. In both other times, it was because the parameter package seemingly didn't load completely. If the compass and IMU parameters are not right, you'll never get it to calibrate. Redo as follows and you'll probably be good to go:
  • Hit the reset params button in solex and reboot.
  • Load the ArduCopter 3.5.x parameters package in Solex and reboot.
  • Load the HERE and/or landing gear packages in Solex and reboot if you have those mods on your solo, otherwise skip them.
  • Level calibration and reboot.
  • Compass calibration and reboot.
Seeing that a few people have had this happen, I just updated the parameter package to do the whole list twice. It will take longer, but it will catch any that may have been missed. I'm also going to mention to Kelly that he may need to add a few more milliseconds between each parameter the app sends.

Reactions: DJMc
Very nice job Matt,
Just updated Solo_1 to RC-3 and 3.5.4. No real issues. Since this Solo has a PH2.0 +5V mod OpenSolo flashed the PH with 1.5.4. (This Solo was at RC-2 and 3.5.3) I had to reflash with 3.5.4. I wiped the PH first with 3.8.0 (ArduPlane), not sure it was necessay but did it anyway, then flashed with 3.5.4, reset to default parameters then loaded Solo parameters. Did a Level then Compass cal.
Went out and flew... It was again very stable and responsive.
Will get the rest of the fleet updated over the next few days.
Nice! It is looking at the device ID of the IMU to determine which cube you have installed. So you certainly did it right.

I just did the 2.5RC3 thing today. Pretty easy. Only thing I've noticed so far, with just a couple of flights, is that the button assignment does not seem to hold what I select, and the measurements are stuck on metric, even though I selected imperial. I will play more tomorrow.

Doesn't each one already popup with "Reboot Solo and controller once both packages are installed"?

Yes, and reading that may confuse the user, "what did I flash, Solo, or Controller" ?
if flashing solo said: "Solo is updated, Reboot Solo and controller once both packages are installed"
- it would be foolproof.

• Hit the reset params button in solex and reboot.
  • Load the ArduCopter 3.5.x parameters package in Solex and reboot.

isn't at least one of those redundant ?

Yes, and reading that may confuse the user, "what did I flash, Solo, or Controller" ?
if flashing solo said: "Solo is updated, Reboot Solo and controller once both packages are installed"
- it would be foolproof.
But the headline of the popup says "Update Complete", doesn't it??

isn't at least one of those redundant ?
Nope. Resetting puts them all back to ArduCopter defaults. Loading the parameters changes them to the required Solo parameter values.

I just did the 2.5RC3 thing today. Pretty easy. Only thing I've noticed so far, with just a couple of flights, is that the button assignment does not seem to hold what I select, and the measurements are stuck on metric, even though I selected imperial. I will play more tomorrow.
Use the app to change the units to metric and back to standard.

What buttons aren't staying set for what?

But the headline of the popup says "Update Complete", doesn't it??

yes, but it does not say what update, my point is that by the time one of the devices is updated, the user may no longer be sure which one he started with. (and which to do next)

Nope. Resetting puts them all back to ArduCopter defaults. Loading the parameters changes them to the required Solo parameter values.

ok So then the Solo param file is not a complete parameter list, I thought it was..

yes, but it does not say what update, my point is that by the time one of the devices is updated, the user may no longer be sure which one he started with. (and which to do next)
How could you not know which one you're doing?? You had to have just clicked on the thing that said copter or controller.

ok So then the Solo param file is not a complete parameter list, I thought it was..
It is only the parameters required by the Solo that differ from the ArduCopter defaults.

I was able to get one short flight in todayt due to rain, but plan on at least one more tomorrow.

Agree with you on the partial parameter load problem noted above in VCD's post. Happened to me as well, but one look at the compass parameters in Mit thP after a few failures and I knew something was up. It had no offsets or declination. Second time I reloaded everything was fine.

One thing I noticed is that on Power up, if Solo gets fully before the wifi network comes up, the gimbal pitches 90 straight down. If I boot up Solo without ever booting the controller, gimbal pitches down 90 degress and recovers "most" of the time. On two occasions (over about 20 reboots) the gimbal failed to right itself until I established a connection. It levels once wifi connects, but I thought it strange. Did see it with RC2 on a pre-ordered gimbal that has acted schizo and over-currented on a few occasions, I'll have to try with a newer gimbal

And just as in the other OpenSolo releases, my test subect is far steadier under OpenSolo and AC3.5 than it ever was on stock Solo code.

Thanks P2P

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
P2P I had set my "A" button to manual, but it activates "stabilize" instead, and then I start getting messages on the controller, that the throttle is too high. If I take off without hitting any buttons, it's fine, but hit "A" and it shoots straight up. I'll tinker some more today. After changing something in Solex, do you have to shut the program down, and re-start it?

How could you not know which one you're doing?? You had to have just clicked on the thing that said copter or controller.

Yes, clicked it, not stared like crazy at it, maybe reading on upgrading them, then one may be "not so sure" after reading the last text. Anyway, that was only a friendly suggestion to avoid mess when user upgrade controller two times and copter none...

Attaching parameters I had after OpenSolo installation (AC defaults, AHI were inverted), then parameters after parameter reset, then the final parameters after loading Solo 3.5.x parameters.

Needless to say, it calibrated just fine now.

Have not flown it yet, are there some special things/features you would like to have tested ?

Attachments

• OpenSoloparams.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
P2P, thank you for having patience with us less understanding people. I just re-read, and saw about the long and short press thing on the buttons. A quick press on "A" does go to manual, and says hold fly to start motors, but they do not start. This is while inside, with no satellites being detected. Do I now have to have a GPS lock to start motors? I live under a tree forest, and used to use manual to take off, and fly out from under all the trees, and could then get GPS lock.

Reactions: Wetstone
P2P, thank you for having patience with us less understanding people. I just re-read, and saw about the long and short press thing on the buttons. A quick press on "A" does go to manual, and says hold fly to start motors, but they do not start. This is while inside, with no satellites being detected. Do I now have to have a GPS lock to start motors? I live under a tree forest, and used to use manual to take off, and fly out from under all the trees, and could then get GPS lock.
Are you using Solex? It will tell you in an error message across the top what is preventing it from arming. I'm guessing you missed a step or calibration. Or you have the distance limit on, which requires GPS.

Yes, using Solex. When I go into vehicle settings, if I slide the distance slider all the way to the left, it still shows 98.43 ft Also a red banner across top of screen says "unready for arming" I'll go outside, and re-calibrate and see what happens.
???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela