Open Awesomeness

Reaction score
If you have been on the fence about green cube open solo time to hop off that fence, That new Open Solo package is smooth going on. Just pop open the video by matt and grab solex and cut the 3DR cord.
Even if you don't have the green cube, there are goodies in there for stock folks too

I hope to soon, once I have manual update instructions for doing it from Windows

what is the recommended sequence:

to update to open solo and than to the GC ?
or the other way around ?

Hey Pyrate, just downloaded this in Solex but I'm not sure I should install. I just have a stock solo except for m8n with compass. So could you expand on why I should do this? I'm guessing I can run the hero script for my compass. Is there any advantage to having this firmware? Thanks, and thanks to p2p for the excellent video.

what is the recommended sequence:

to update to open solo and than to the GC ?
or the other way around ?
the new build recognizes what flight controller you have and will either load 1.5 something stock solo, or 3.5.2 master on the green cube. If you ever upgrade you can just run it again

Hey Pyrate, just downloaded this in Solex but I'm not sure I should install. I just have a stock solo except for m8n with compass. So could you expand on why I should do this? I'm guessing I can run the hero script for my compass. Is there any advantage to having this firmware? Thanks, and thanks to p2p for the excellent video.
I would not run the here parameters unless you actually have a here GPS. you can install open solo on a stock bird just fine. I loads an unreleased version of solo ardu that was released for commercial.

So is there something in the Here parameters that's different then the 38 to 0 change that was previously done in mission planner? I realize it's a new version of firmware and it will cut the cord with 3dr but I'm wondering if it's worth the risk of having something go wrong if there's no real benefit from doing it. Does it run the solo better. I'm guessing there's a real reason to do it otherwise Kelly wouldn't have put it in Solex, just wondering what that reason is....

I also would like to understand better what the enhancements are over stock firmware before upgrading g.... I've been reading about it the past week and still don't really understand what your gaining on a stock solo...

Also what about the speed control issue..I was reading that there was some voltage issue w/ escs that was not properly addressed in (earlier versions) of open solo. Is that now fixed?

I also would like to understand better what the enhancements are over stock firmware before upgrading g.... I've been reading about it the past week and still don't really understand what your gaining on a stock solo...

Also what about the speed control issue..I was reading that there was some voltage issue w/ escs that was not properly addressed in (earlier versions) of open solo. Is that now fixed?

the main goal for this first RC version is to cut the cord to 3DR, because you don´t have to download firmware from 3DR with this when you are doin a factory reset. (this is very useful if you have the Green Cube)

the voltage issue you know of is NOT an Open Solo issue, it is an issue with the stock flight controller/esc combination.

the main goal for this first RC version is to cut the cord to 3DR, because you don´t have to download firmware from 3DR with this when you are doin a factory reset. (this is very useful if you have the Green Cube)

the voltage issue you know of is NOT an Open Solo issue, it is an issue with the stock flight controller/esc combination.

So the only real advantage to this is if one plans on installing the Green Cube and moving to AC, which for me is desirable but I don't want to spend that much money on a <15 min flight time vehicle. That's just me though. I have two Solo's and still very much like them.

Edit: I did do the install BTW

I'm a green cuber. Ran OS update via Solex. All good with my controller. It boots up with OS window. Solo not so much. Goes about 10 seconds into a boot and freezes. Won't pair with controller. I did rewrite the SD card per P2P's Problem Recovery Procedure to no avail. So now I have a Controller in OS and a Solo in some sort of purgatory.
(I also botched my CG install forgetting to run the IMX Python before swapping out the cube so by all means take this with a grain of salt.)

I got some advice from the FB Groups and thankfully an offer to bring my sick bird to one of the Gurus for some hands on help which I will take him up on. That said, and I guess more out of curiosity as I have been toiling with this all week in total frustration to my distinct ineptitude, If the Controller will not pair with the Solo (I cannot link to the Controller in MP but was able to with winSCP) and I have to assume the Solo failed to complete the Copter OS Clean Install package what exactly are my options?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dude
really, you have been offered the best help available. Go see Paul and sort it out.
More than likely something did not finish in the process. Just needs to start fresh.

I even tried (unconciously) to mess this up. Forgot to load the parameter file. And mine still worked.
It is no big deal to have and issue, but most people would be extremely happy if they could get to Paul and he is willing to help

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Dude
really, you have been offered the best help available. Go see Paul and sort it out.
More than likely something did not finish in the process. Just needs to start fresh.

I even tried (unconsciously) to mess this up. Forgot to load the parameter file. And mine still worked.
It is no big deal to have and issue, but most people would be extremely happy if they could get to Paul and he is willing to help

I am SO going to take Paul up on his offer. He's 3-1/2 hours away so it might not be right away. My post here was more to try to wrap my head around what went wrong before I get there is all. That said, even if someone did explain how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again I most likely wouldn't understand the process.

Obviously by merit of the fact that the Controller and Solo can't (won't) pair a factory reset is out of the question. Rewriting the IMAX6 SD Card also didn't resolve the problem as it has for others. Because of my shaky past I can promise you that I followed along Matt's vid on one screen and had the written documentation up on another just like Matt did. When he pressed OK so did I and so on. Everything on the controller side went exactly as it did in the vid event by event. The Copter files loaded I got the Update Complete dialog box on Solex but I never detected either of the two reboots (no flashing lights, no sounds, no gimbal engagement) is all I can say. After 20 minutes of waiting I did a manual reboot and got what I show in my 10 second vid.

I've learned a tremendous amount in the past week. Having the extraordinary opportunity to watch Paul hands on untangle my mess is going to be a much more valuable experience then just getting my Solo to fly again. I'm at that stage of knowledge development to begin to understand just how much I don't know if that makes any sense.

I dug a pretty deep hole with my GC fail and vowed NOT to add insult to the injury I have already done. I jumped into this only AFTER others had posted what I interpreted as the same experience that I did thinking my details would help the process. It's now very apparent that their issues were not the same as mine as they are back in the air. You guys have been amazing putting up with me and I can't begin to convey how much I appreciate it. Now I really have to zip it else Paul might have a PFA issued on my sorry ass and THAT would be catastrophic!

Last edited:
Paul will get you sorted, I messed up my original 2.1 doing the factory recall on it. He sent me another one no questions asked

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377