On the water Video with Gimbal

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I shot this video yesterday using GoPro 3+ Black Edition in 1080P Medium view @ 60fps. It was mounted in Solo' gimbal and was put together in iMovie. There was 10 minutes of filming in 2 cuts. My two daughters are on the Our Lady of Mercy Crew Team and have been invited to compete at The Head of The Charles Regatta in Boston this weekend. This was there last on the water practice in Oyster Bay, NY before heading up to Boston. The Solo gives a whole new perspective to video recording, and makes it quite simple. I was on the shore line shooting and had direct line of site however they were 1200' to 2000' away at the time. I framed everything through my iPhone 6, and my Solo is stock. The YouTube video is not as clear as the QuickTime video on my computer and I would love to get a suggestion of how to convert it so it is viewable in its highest quality, and directions to do so. Thanks.
Robert

Awesome man. I used to row in high school and college. This kind of footage would have been amazing for analyzing individual technique. I liked that moving orbit around the boat. Was it all manual?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Awesome man. I used to row in high school and college. This kind of footage would have been amazing for analyzing individual technique. I liked that moving orbit around the boat. Was it all manual?

Thanks. There was a lot of talk about the coaches using footage to analyze technique. They are videoing from the boat, and we mount GoPro's as well. This takes it to a new level. I like the Orbit shot the best too. All manual, and 1 take. Solo does make it relatively easy.

I could instantly tell who was rushing to the catch. Really cool. Maybe grab a 333 and make this a business.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I shot this video yesterday using GoPro 3+ Black Edition in 1080P Medium view @ 60fps. It was mounted in Solo' gimbal and was put together in iMovie. There was 10 minutes of filming in 2 cuts. My two daughters are on the Our Lady of Mercy Crew Team and have been invited to compete at The Head of The Charles Regatta in Boston this weekend. This was there last on the water practice in Oyster Bay, NY before heading up to Boston. The Solo gives a whole new perspective to video recording, and makes it quite simple. I was on the shore line shooting and had direct line of site however they were 1200' to 2000' away at the time. I framed everything through my iPhone 6, and my Solo is stock. The YouTube video is not as clear as the QuickTime video on my computer and I would love to get a suggestion of how to convert it so it is viewable in its highest quality, and directions to do so. Thanks.
Robert
Very nicely done!

And so, let me ask you: have you run into any problems using the gimbal with the Hero3+ Black? Any issues controlling it, starting/stopping recording, etc.

Well Done Robert and great job of hand flying! Regarding the resolution, it appears that it was uploaded to YT as a 480p video. When you did your final output in Imovie, do you remember what resolution you saved it as and what profile? It looks like you may have saved it in 480..

Great job.
One thing ... and not sure if iMovie has a color board, but if so - shoot in PT (pro tune?)
(flat) and manually do your color in post - plenty of tutorials on color processing on the web..

Great eye- great perspective, application etc..

It's a great new world. Thanks for sharing.

Robert where were you and the controller? How far away where you standing? Any range issues?

Very nicely done!

And so, let me ask you: have you run into any problems using the gimbal with the Hero3+ Black? Any issues controlling it, starting/stopping recording, etc.

Issues with the Gimbal and the connection, yes. Lets just deal with the latest update. Sometimes, I get no image on my iphone and correct that by closing/opening the App. When using with my iphone and an email or text comes in, it will also lose the video, but not communication. No other real problems since the last update. Thanks

@Jubalr I believe it was in 480p. I will look to change it.
@Mitten I will try your suggestion. I shot some other video the same day in PT

Robert where were you and the controller? How far away where you standing? Any range issues?

Hey Ron,
I was on shore anywhere from 1200' to 2000' with no loss of reception except on Return to Home at the end when an email came in. Just before the 2 minute mark in the video, you can see the shore line. There is a House on the water with some boats in front of it, center screen. That's me. No visual of the Solo. Too small to see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421