Ohhh Fuuddgge...

Reaction score
It finally happened.

Solo fell from the sky.

I was testing out the Solo after installing Open Solo 2.0 (stock cube). Putting it through her paces. Forward and reverse pitch pretty hard. Flew it full pitch across a lake, then it takes a complete end over end tumble from 160 ft down into the grass. Thankfully, it didn't land in the lake. I was watching it on the screen when the video flipped out, then looked up and saw it tumbling.

Walked over to the area where it fell. GPS cover flew off. Body had a large crack on the right side. Fixed mount detached, but the GoPro didn't break (thank God I didn't have the gimbal on this one). One prop broken.

I walked it back to my car. Wiped off most of the sandy silt. The battery was intact, and I was able to re-insert it. I started it up without the props. All motors spun except #4, which led to the downfall. Looks like I lost motor #4 in flight.

When I got home, I took it apart, and I saw this at motor #4:

Solo 1.jpg

Looks like the power feed detached during flight.

A bit of backstory here. This quad (Solo #1) 'bumped' into a tower crane last month. It kept flying, so I landed it. My guess is that the impact ended up afffecting that wire connection, making it loose. That,.and possibly the crop field crash and tumble back on July 4 weekend, probably damaged this wire connection. I checked everything after the crane bump, and everything looked intact. Although, I did not check the esc connections. A couple of test flights showed intermittent loss of video feed, however. After the crane bump, I put this quad to bed for a while and starting using my 'Ebay For Parts or Not Working' quad (Solo #2), which actually was a fully functioning quad once I installed the battery and paired it (I got it for $70 on Ebay). Yesterday, I wanted to test Solo #1 to see if it still worked and had a working video feed. The Green Cube is on the way, and I wanted to install the Green Cube in Solo #1 rather than Solo #2 because Solo #1 was my baby. The video feed issues were occurring again in Solo #1 during testing yesterday, so I was pushing it hard in all directions to see if I could diagnose what may be contributing to the loss of video feed. Right before it fell, video was looking pretty good. Then, it happened.

At least I learned how to completely disassemble the Solo all the way. Now, except for the shell and the tray (it is bent on one corner), I have a stockpile of parts for Solo #2 (which is now Solo #1).

Solo 2.jpg

I might even be able to re-use motor #4 if I learn soldering skills.

I’m not a rocket scientist, however; I think you may need Solo #3!
I’m just saying. There is no shame and you are safe on this forum.... some of us have Solo# 12, Solo #13 and Solo #14. And all along our Solo#1 is flying perfectly. You can never have too many; and though they hide.... there are many on this forum who have even more!!

Reactions: Freebird32
some of us have Solo# 12, Solo #13 and Solo #14. And all along our Solo#1 is flying perfectly. You can never have too many;
Hoo Hoo! Thanks for that! I was just thinking I was becoming a drone hoarder, now I know there are others worse off than me ;) I agree you can't have too many. @hardhat068 - I saw your video on youtube. When I saw this post I was thinking 'wow another number 4 motor disconnect', but then recognized your autopsy photo. You can still get parts birds and parts on eBay, i.e., motors, bodies etc. You could bring that one back to life. I also got a few of the $59 'for parts' solos on eBay and they all fly just fine.

I’m not a rocket scientist, however; I think you may need Solo #3!
I’m just saying. There is no shame and you are safe on this forum.... some of us have Solo# 12, Solo #13 and Solo #14. And all along our Solo#1 is flying perfectly. You can never have too many; and though they hide.... there are many on this forum who have even more!!
I don't know what you're talking about. I can quit any time I'd like.

NO!!! Don't open that doo............#*% (@)

...hrlp?

I was waiting for Bruce to chime in.... Bruce and his little 3DR Solo airport!!

The size of the force is classified Top Secret -Burn After Reading. Suffice to say I have been ordered by powers above to reduce the size so it stays in one room....

Can that red wire be re-soldered to the esc so I can re-use motor #4? I don't have any soldering skills, but I might know someone.

Since you will be reusing those parts, I would think you that you would want to look at your logs to confirm that motorpod 4 lost thrust midflight. There's always a chance that the broken cable occurred as a result of the crash and one of the parts you intend to reuse is at fault.

Reactions: carpy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela