Off Grid and loving it!

Reaction score
This is part of our 65 acres we own. Had a great weekend, only wish I'd planned more shots with the solo. I'll head back shortly but next time, I want to try mission planning! It's great having that much space to fly in and not have to worry about landing on someone or something! Total drone freedom!

drone1.jpg

Oh man, music to my ears! Next time I want to do a follow me mode with a drone in front of me as we drive to the property and have another drone doing a followed orbit shot. Also need to learn about mapping too. Would be awesome if I could map the whole property with the drones (all on a budget of course). So you going to give us any hints on what to expect with that mod or just make us wait?

Solo can do your mapping too! It is most effective with a non-fisheye lens on the GoPro, but most orthomosaic software can handle the fisheye ok. Just bear in mind the flight time.

Oh man, music to my ears! Next time I want to do a follow me mode with a drone in front of me as we drive to the property and have another drone doing a followed orbit shot. Also need to learn about mapping too. Would be awesome if I could map the whole property with the drones (all on a budget of course). So you going to give us any hints on what to expect with that mod or just make us wait?
Making factory reset great again :)

Updating the recovery partition (golden image) so it is the current 2.4.2 firmware on the controller and solo's IMX. And to include the latest Solo ArduCopter (stock) or ArduCopter 3.5 with Solo defaults for green cubes. Which means a few things:
1) No need for the internet on a new Solo or after doing a factory reset.
2) No need for 3DR's servers that will eventually go away some day.
2) No need to immediately do an update of any kind after a factory reset. Immediately flyable.
3) Green Cube upgrade becomes "Push one button in Solex, drink beer."
4) Green Cube factory reset includes all needed python files and ArduCopter 3.5
5) Stock solo factory reset includes latest stock 3DR firmware
5) This recovery update probably going to be one-button flashable with solex or one batch file on a PC

Holy crap that would be nice. Any chance it'll be an open mechanism so if I've compiled a new kernel and I'm sure I trust it, I can make it come back if I screw up when developing further down the line?

Yep. The recovery file system is a squashfs. Then there are files for the Linux kernel, STM32 and something else that we're leaving as is for now. But it's all there and can be screwed with :)

I suppose this means I now have no excuse not to start compiling kernels and modules in pursuit of accessory bay goodness....

Except time. Why are there not 32 hours in a day?

LOL…Speed control for the earth spin. Pedals you going to need a lot of luck with that, you would have to take into account your height elevation increase speed in relation to the height to earth spin speed as the speed would change then plot that according to your exact spot on the ball earth as these would change the further away you are from the equator and then compounded to this the data would change going south past the equator, apparently stuff spins in the opposite direction down the toilet just one example . Strange thing is I don’t have to take any of these factors into account when flying my solo…What happened to “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”? Stuff just don’t addup.

Solo can do your mapping too! It is most effective with a non-fisheye lens on the GoPro, but most orthomosaic software can handle the fisheye ok. Just bear in mind the flight time.

Making factory reset great again :)

Updating the recovery partition (golden image) so it is the current 2.4.2 firmware on the controller and solo's IMX. And to include the latest Solo ArduCopter (stock) or ArduCopter 3.5 with Solo defaults for green cubes. Which means a few things:
1) No need for the internet on a new Solo or after doing a factory reset.
2) No need for 3DR's servers that will eventually go away some day.
2) No need to immediately do an update of any kind after a factory reset. Immediately flyable.
3) Green Cube upgrade becomes "Push one button in Solex, drink beer."
4) Green Cube factory reset includes all needed python files and ArduCopter 3.5
5) Stock solo factory reset includes latest stock 3DR firmware
5) This recovery update probably going to be one-button flashable with solex or one batch file on a PC

So I gotta ask (just to be annoying of course), but where are we on the above? I've ordered a 2nd green cube and to be honest, I'm really looking forward to drinking beer......... :)

Cool! I like the notes, seems fairly straight forward. Best of luck on the test flight, I'm going to choose beers now....

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela