Nokia 808 41mp camera works

Reaction score
The hdmi video out works with solos live feed. Then I set the camera app to take a 8 second time lapse shot and go flying. It's nice having such a high quality camera for still shots. Sadly the gimbal will not work for it. .......yet......lol! But if your taking stills then you really don't need it anyway. Each file is like 17MB-22MB big. Symbian OS still has some use! ! On a side note, this phone also had Mirrorlink, which basically made your mirrorlink ready head unit display in your car a big screen of your phone that you can touch just like your phone. The head units are all Android based......... could be some possibilities there but it connected thru USB.

Reactions: Hassentassen
The hdmi video out works with solos live feed. Then I set the camera app to take a 8 second time lapse shot and go flying. It's nice having such a high quality camera for still shots. Sadly the gimbal will not work for it. .......yet......lol! But if your taking stills then you really don't need it anyway. Each file is like 17MB-22MB big. Symbian OS still has some use! ! On a side note, this phone also had Mirrorlink, which basically made your mirrorlink ready head unit display in your car a big screen of your phone that you can touch just like your phone. The head units are all Android based......... could be some possibilities there but it connected thru USB.
Pretty cool. Got any sample high res. pics? How did you mount it, is clearance underneath an issue?

I'm working on a better mount right now. I made a very very crude mount that I'm embarrassed to even post. The single picture is 17.74MB big so I don't know how to post it in here without it being resized

I'm working on a better mount right now. I made a very very crude mount that I'm embarrassed to even post. The single picture is 17.74MB big so I don't know how to post it in here without it being resized
I don't know what the media bin limits here are. Sometimes people post a link to a Dropbox, Google Drive, or Onedrive. Or even their own server. If you can't you can't, nonetheless would be interesting to see. :)

I'm sure I could tweek the settings and get it a lot better. It does have a app to control the camera remotely over wifi or bluetooth. ......so that plus some kind of gimbal and it records video at 1080p30fps and has 4x lossless zoom......remember, this phone came out like 5 years ago, its a shame they didn't make a bigger one since then and yes my current phone is a Lumia 1020 (Windows 41megapixel phone) but no video out on this one, but the 1020 will shoot raw and has optical image stabilization (mechanical)

That is impressive. As you keep up with this type of set up, you will really get to know your equipment well. Nice definition.

I have been doing drone photography with the Nokia 808 and a modified Nokia CR-122 mount attached to the rubber bumpers of an old Gimbal base for about 1 year now. While guaranteeing good, maybe unreached photo quality (resolution-wise and staying into a certain budget), there are many downsides which make me think to switch to a Mavic Pro, also for it's tiny size.

First of all, the lack of a live-view image makes it difficult to get the subject right and even after sorting out hundreds of photos shot in Time Lapse mode you might end in not being happy with the result. But as the Nokia 808 does have both HDMI and RGB-Video out (through the audio-jack), it might be not too hard to fix that issue with a budget video-transmitter (I just didn't start to do it).

The second, big issue is that without a Gimbal you have no image stabilization. The rubber bumpers might absorb the vibrations of the drone a little, but in certain light conditions that's still not good enough, particularly when photographing with ISO 50 (for low noise), not speaking about videos... at the full resolution of 41,5 Megapixels every single movement can be seen (usually for exposition times < 1/300 seconds) when you zoom in and it's quite hard to get crisp photos except for really bright, sunny days.

Also, sometimes I'd prefer to shot the photos manually in order to spend less time later, sorting out. While that would be achievable somehow through the remote control feature of the Camera Pro app (which also allows for the full 41,5 MP resolution and many other settings), at the end you will hardly reach the easy of use of consumer drone packages.

Still, the photo quality of the Nokia 808 remains impressive even in 2017 (particularly in good lighting situations and where very high resolution is required) and I'm really wondering why that Nokia sensor hasn't been used in other cameras and drones already. DJI now uses 1 inch (Sony?) sensors in their Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced models but while they're for sure great, they still can't top the Nokia sensor in detail resolution.

As regards the missing Gimbal, I'm not sure if the Lumia 1020 would perform better with low or medium light with it's optical image stabilization.

I forgot to mention that I'm using the Blade 350 QX3 drone and that I found this topic via Google. I didn't know that the 3DR solo features an integrated HDMI video transmission. That makes things much easier, of course!

I have both the Nokia 808 and the Nokia 1020. I have live view with the Nokia 808, but not with the 1020. My Solo is having some connection issues so I haven't flown it in a while

I'm now going to buy an used 3DR Solo and sell my Blade 350 QX3. Live view is crucial for drone photography, but so is image quality and I feel that the 3DR Solo will work even better with my Nokia 808 :) Maybe also with other cameras in future.

Up to now, I used my Blade quad mainly with the Nokia 808 despite the lack of live view and only very rarely with the CGO2 Gimbal cam (for videos only or as a backup for photos in order to get the motif right).

While the photo quality is nowhere close to the Nokia 808 (despite the Gimbal), I'm not really happy with the videos either, so that I stopped doing them quite at the beginning. Nicely stabilized, but with fisheye effect and horribly oversaturated colours and also the resolution doesn't look like "real" FullHD.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
if you wanna watch. I'm wondering whether a GoPro 4 Black gets better than that. I might consider getting one, for videos... or maybe I'll just buy a Mavic Pro in addition to the 3DR, the 3DRs are inexpensive now (and Mavic starts getting a little cheaper) :cool: I really love the HDMI live feed functionality, it will make things so much easier!

What about a Gimbal for the Nokia 808, did you already move forward in that direction?

Last edited:
Reactions: jerryn
Here's one of my Nokia 808 shots (still on Blade 350), with quite a lot of detail. This one got quite sharp, even with ISO 50 - but you have to be kind of lucky without OIS and Gimbal! I try to upload some crops here and link the original 41,5 MP picture. No post processing, except cropping for the attachments. So no colour correction, no sharpening...

20170808_113808(1).jpg 20170808_113808(2).jpg 20170808_113808(3).jpg

Original: 20170808_113808.jpg

Btw, even the largest crop is only about 1/3rd of the resolution of the original.

Last edited:
The last crop portion on the original shot:

Nokia 808_drone aerial photography_41 MP_crop detail.jpg

The Nokia 808's detail resolution is just insane in my eyes, for a more than 5 years old phone. Of course, speaking of good lighting conditions and few or no movement. APS-C solutions will not necessarily offer a greater detail, at least as long as they stay within a maximum of 20 MP.

I don't get the point, why do people say that the lenses in the APS-C class simply don't allow for a higher resolution, when the Nokia/Carl Zeiss "micro" lenses apparently do?

I do ofc know that a APS-C sensor and lens will outperform a Nokia 808 in many circumstances, such as low light, night shots or a "shaky" platform... btw, does anybody use a Sony QX1 on a 3DR Solo, with or without a Gimbal (such as https://copterlab.com/2-axis-agrowi...1-alpha-5000-alpha-6000-gimbal-for-3dr-solo)?

Also, what about the new, inexpensive Rollei Traveler smartphone gimbal, will it be viable for the Nokia 808 (https
s://www.camforpro.com/rollei-smartphone-gimbal-traveler/)? Is there anything better at a reasonable price?

I'm now going to buy an used 3DR Solo and sell my Blade 350 QX3. Live view is crucial for drone photography, but so is image quality and I feel that the 3DR Solo will work even better with my Nokia 808 :) Maybe also with other cameras in future.

Up to now, I used my Blade quad mainly with the Nokia 808 despite the lack of live view and only very rarely with the CGO2 Gimbal cam (for videos only or as a backup for photos in order to get the motif right).

While the photo quality is nowhere close to the Nokia 808 (despite the Gimbal), I'm not really happy with the videos either, so that I stopped doing them quite at the beginning. Nicely stabilized, but with fisheye effect and horribly oversaturated colours and also the resolution doesn't look like "real" FullHD.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
if you wanna watch. I'm wondering whether a GoPro 4 Black gets better than that. I might consider getting one, for videos... or maybe I'll just buy a Mavic Pro in addition to the 3DR, the 3DRs are inexpensive now (and Mavic starts getting a little cheaper) :cool: I really love the HDMI live feed functionality, it will make things so much easier!

What about a Gimbal for the Nokia 808, did you already move forward in that direction?
Nice video! I will lookup the dimensions of a Nokia 808. I wonder if we can machine a cradle that would fit in the existing gimble. Next we need to weigh the camera, maybe we can add some weight to get it to stabilize in the cradle with the existing firmware.
Once OpenSolo is stable then we can think about designing a universal gimbal.

Nice video! I will lookup the dimensions of a Nokia 808. I wonder if we can machine a cradle that would fit in the existing gimble. Next we need to weigh the camera, maybe we can add some weight to get it to stabilize in the cradle with the existing firmware.
Once OpenSolo is stable then we can think about designing a universal gimbal.

Just to avoid misunderstanding: The video I posted is from the Blade 350 QX3 AP Combo 16 MP camera (CGO2 with gimbal) - the first video I took actually, so it's basically just flying around at a fix height. I got tired taking videos quite early, as the Blade is a little limited here and as I don't like the fisheye effect a lot. Maybe the Nokia would perform better for videos as well, but only if combined with a working gimbal.

The photo (and the crops out of the original photo I posted) has recently been taken with my Nokia 808 in timelapse mode attached to the same Blade copter, but without a gimbal (just rubber bumpers). It's one of the crispier photos out of a series (1 photo every 5 sec.) on a windy day.

I have been using the "hot-swap" mount at the bottom of the Blade to quickly change between the CGO2 camera and the Nokia 808, but now I will replace my Blade drone with a 3DR Solo in order to have live feed from the Nokia - which will make everything much easier. Even though I could have used the CGO2 cam for photos as well, I always preferred to take the Nokia 808 (flying blind).

If I could make the original Solo gimbal work for the Nokia 808 somehow, even better! This would allow for crispier photos at low(er) light.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea