No-fly zones? No way!

Reaction score
I have a Solo (yes, it is cool) and looking to buy a drone better suited for First Person View (FPV). Of course the DJI drones are attractive. But there is no way I am going to buy a drone with firmware that prohibits flying 50 feet high in my own backyard because I happen to be 4 miles away from an airport. Having such a wonderful drone that you cannot fly in your own backyard would be frustrating, Eh?

I just noticed that both DJI and Yuneec (another NO FLY ZONE drone maker) are headquartered in communist China, what a surprise! In America, companies are not held responsible when customers misuse their products, at least not when customers have been adequately warned.

Last edited:
I have a Solo (yes, it is cool) and looking to buy a drone better suited for First Person View (FPV). Of course the DJI drones are attractive. But there is no way I am going to buy a drone with firmware that prohibits flying 50 feet high in my own backyard because I happen to be 4 miles away from an airport. Having such a wonderful drone that you cannot fly in your own backyard would be frustrating, Eh?
Racing drones have a much better (faster) radio setup for FPV. You might try looking in that direction.

Hi, Maddog , I have not had any problems with using the HDMI but the solo is not a racing drone. LOL

Hi, Maddog , I have not had any problems with using the HDMI but the solo is not a racing drone. LOL
The Solo is a demolition derby drone...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch ALL of the flying parts of that video.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbacon
The Solo is a demolition derby drone...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watch ALL of the flying parts of that video.
Wow- pretty good flying and Solo is tough!
I don't think you could fly it like that with stock video setup.

I tried fpv with my Solo and after getting the right HDMI adapter and cable I got her plugged into my Headplays and although the image was nice you quickly start to get annoyed by the lag and micro interruptions with the stream. Not too noticeable when using a phone or tablet but once I had that big clear image in my face, any little blip made it feel like I was disconnected from reality.

At one point I felt like double sided taping a tiny camera/vtx from one of my micros onto the Solo but that sort of defeats the point but I suppose could be fun in the right scenario.

Reactions: DennisTPfpv
LOL Troy rebranded and trying to fly a solo as a racer.
Folks solo can do a lot of things, but honestly why even try to make it into a racer. There is any number of drones better suited for the job.

My FPV setup works great and I can film using the RunCam2 at the same time. I'm using an all in one its powered by a 1000 Mah 2 cell battery hanging from the gimbal bay door. Controller has a 7 inch monitor attached with the receiver. Total all up cost was 75 bucks minus the Runcam2 IMG_20170723_100814.jpg IMG_20170723_100842.jpg IMG_20170723_100754.jpg IMG_20170723_100732.jpg

There is any number of drones better suited for the job.
Perhaps I should have been clearer. At this stage in FPV droning, I guess the term "FPV" applies most commonly to racing. But I am interested in flight simulation. Flight simulation uses first person view and the majority of flight simmers are not racers. The video is just for fun. Besides being a thrilling flight, I like how that pilot crashed into things and continued flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
interesting application, had not thought of it in that situation. I hear drift mode is good for that for a flying mode

c47b7737511214f94714f77d0d3abe46.jpg

Last edited:
We have to fly responsibly.
Of course we do. And in most places outside of Massachusetts adults are allowed to make their own decisions about what is responsible. A law/regulation prohibiting adult human beings from flying drones less than 50 feet high in their own backyards is illegitimate and would be stricken down by our Supreme Court. Whether a person can fly responsibly in their backyard depends on all sorts of factors the reader is unaware of. There are plenty of aircraft in my area, but none of them fly anywhere near the airspace over my house or anybody else's house. The idea that the FAA controls all airspace from 1 inch above my grass is just ludicrous. Here in America, companies are not responsible for customers misusing their products, at least not after the customers have been properly informed. Only Communist Chinese dictatorship run businesses like DJI and Yuneec would use a dumb computer program to make intelligent human decisions. They are nothing but communist Chinese monopolies running everyone else out of business and exporting their communist Chinese doctrine.

Ironic that DJI is encouraging their users to stick their hands and face in front of a DJI drone, and to hand catch their DJI drone, at the same time DJI is using a computer program to enforce an idiotic all-encompassing regulation of drone flight that poses no threat to aircraft.

I would have little problem with it if they were not regulating-by-monopoly the drone market.

I understand that you are not specifically looking for a racing drone, however it would probably provide the best fpv experience. You might be able to attach a racing drone fpv setup to a solo

I understand that you are not specifically looking for a racing drone, however it would probably provide the best fpv experience. You might be able to attach a racing drone fpv setup to a solo
Besides having the best FPV, I would think that racing drones would have the best battery life too considering the fact they are used for extreme performance, but not sure that is the reality. In the video I posted above, attaching a racing drone FPV to the Solo was done by the video poster.

Thanks to the replies.

Reactions: xman4242

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela