No connection between RTK Base and RTK GPS

Reaction score
I need assistance, and would appreciate if anyone has insight into my problem.

When running MP, I cannot get my Drotek XXL GPS RTK Base to communicate with my RTK NEO M8P GPS.
i.e. In MP, I am not reading the GPS:rtk Float or no GPS:rtk Fixed within the Flight Data page.

I have correctly updated the Arducopter-v2.px4 firmware to my Solo. (Party mode activated).
I have not updated to Arducopter 3.5.* given I read it is not safe with the original Solo Stock cube (Not sure on this, and not yet prepared for the risk).
I have correctly connected and performed Initial setup of the Drotek XXL RTK Base in MP.
The BASE GPS is Valid indicated by green bar & multiple satellites detected.
Through RTK/GPS Inject page in MP, I used a survey coordinate position for the Survey-in method.
I have connected my Solo to MP via the UDP Client. The connection good (as test, I have written a mission into the Solo computer).

Although I proceed to the Flight Data page in MP,
and although I read that onboard GPS is connected (bottom right corner of screen),
But I see no RTK GPS connection (No GPS:rtk Float or no GPS:rtk Fixed)

I suspect there is no telemetry connection between my RTK Base and my RTK onboard GPS.
My question being: Do I need to synchronize the telemetry frequency on the MAVLink so the Base (XXL RTK GPS) is in communication with the on board RTK GPS (NEO M8P GPS)?
Or something else?

Last edited:
With Solo there is no direct communication between the Base and Rover- it is all through SoloLink.

Not sure what firmware the Drotek Solo units ship with, but I upgraded mine to 1.40, and am getting RTK fix and float corrections via Mission Planner. Very slight possibility this could help you?

Reactions: Jonty
I'm very keen to know of your firmware files.
When you say you upgraded 1.40, do you mean the Controller Firmware? (Currently I am running 1.2.1.1 as seen in 3DR App/Settings/System). I mention this as the odd chance.

However I suspect you are referring to the Arducopter firmware.
In using WinSCP software to connect to the Solo computer, I have both ArduCopter-1.3.1.px4 (original firmware) and ArduCopter-v2.px4 (recently updated and as per instructed by Drotek RTK installation procedure) in the root/firmware/loaded folder of my Solo.
It concerns me that I have two Arducopter files within my Loaded folder. (Would one naturally override the other?)
As experiment: I removed the ArduCopter-1.3.1.px4 from the loaded folder, and my Solo booted normally. (I have it stored as backup on my computer).

When you mean 'upgraded 1.40' do you mean you have both ArduCopter-v2.px4 and ArduCopter-1.4.* in your Loaded Folder.
If not, what is contained within your Loaded Folder - Do you have only a single ArduCopter-v2.px4 file, or is there also a secondary ArduCopter-*.*.*.px4 file contained?

No- I am referring to the firmware on the Drotek M8P chip.

General instructions are here.

You download U-center and plug into the USB on the GPS chip.

Frankly I doubt this is your issue. Focus on making sure you have the right 3DR Solo firmware from installed. OpenSolo would be preferred, even if you have the stock Pixhawk.

I followed your advice and installed Open Solo 3.0, both into the controller and copter.
All installed correctly and after a few reboots, recalibrations, change of WiFi password etc,
all appears functional for flight - Open Solo Installed correctly.

However, my RTK is still not working - I do not see RTK GPS Fix on MP Flight Data Page.
I read 'Vibe GPS: 3D Fix'

I installed U-Center software on my computer and successfully connected to both my XXL RTK Base and NEO-M8P Rover.
I was able to change parameters on each as suggested by Drotek (manual configuration of Rover & Base).

I have inserted a photo of my two MP pages, Initial Setup and Flight Data for interest viewing.
Although I have yet to upgrade the firmware on my Rover NEO M8P GPS to 1.4 (as you originally advised),
I reserve that for tomorrow's fun.

Attachments

• Initial Setup.jpg
    Initial Setup.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Flight Data Page.jpg
    Flight Data Page.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
Good luck- everything looks proper in Mission Planner. I was using the same version.

Make sure the rover and base have a good clear view of the sky and give it a solid 10m minimum to connect?

Does Solex or Tower announce your various GPS modes? Maybe it just isn't showing up in Mission Planner?

I have proceeded with firmware update of my NEO 8MP GPS to HPG_1.40 using U-Center software v8.28

I have downloaded the firmware file for NEO M8P GPS - In zip format.
Site search

Unzipped I get two *.BIN files, and PDF file which contains no useful information as to the process of firmware update.
a) DO_EXT_301_HPG_140_REFERENCE.ab799cc302b64f28ba73b55dfa945a04.BIN and
b) DO_EXT_301_HPG_140_ROVER.91bbd17d889e0fe40c2d823991595224.BIN

I have opened U-Center 8.28 software and connected my NEO M8P GPS to my computer via USB cable (COM1 port).
I could only get my NEO M8P GPS to connect when I turned my Solo on. (I do not know if this is standard procedure?)
As indicated by Green Connected button (top left), the NEO M8P GPS is connected.

In opening the Tools pull-down and clicking on Firmware Update,
I am presented with a window asking the Firmware Image
(I assume Firmware file - DO_EXT_301_HPG_140_ROVER.91bbd17d889e0fe40c2d823991595224.BIL is the file they want.
However, the Window also asks for a Flash Information Structure (FIS) file / Flash Definition File (FDF) - see attached image.
FIS Format as *.xml or FDF as *.txt

In looking for such a FIS file, I read it is located within the u-center folder installed on the hard drive (program files (x86)/u-blox/u-center_V*.*/Flash.xml
In giving it a Go, it seemed to work.
In addition, I included a baudrate of 38400 bits/sec as suggested by Drotek configuring.
Not sure if this was necessary as default as set at original 9600 bits/sec.

If you suspect any concerns with above procedure, please let me know.
I am concerned that the missing screw (file -> DO_EXT_301_HPG_140_REFERENCE.ab799cc302b64f28ba73b55dfa945a04.BIN) remains hanging.
Is this used for update of the XXL RTK Base?

I have yet to give your other suggestions a go.
----> (Rover & base clear view of the sky with solid 10m minimum to connect).
----> & Check if Solex announces GPS grade. I used Solex for Open Solo firmware update.
All in all I'm stuck in the office today working a 12 hour shift (now 13 hours).
Tomorrow I'll find time to get my Solo out into the open field, and I will give your suggestions a proper go.

Attachments

• U-Center Firmware v3.JPG
    U-Center Firmware v3.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 11
Yup, that looks right. "Reference" is for you base station.

Really seems like giving the base and rover a nice long time in the field to get a fix is going to do the trick.

All attempts at RTK connection via Mission planner have failed.
I spent at least 30 min with all connected, but no indication final indication of RTK status.

3DR Solo (with Open Solo 3.0 upgrade) connected to MP - All good
NEO M8P Rover GPS with updated firmware 1.40 installed in Solo. 15 - 18 GNSS satellites reading from Controller - All good.

In MP with RTK inject: XXL RTK Base GPS with updated firmware 1.40 connected to laptop via com USM port - Green squares for Base, GPS, Glonass, Green bar 'position Valid' - All good (I did try all the button combinations).

However, I do not see RTK GPS Fix on MP Flight Data Page.
I read 'Vibe GPS: 3D Fix'.

I did open and connect Solex to my Solo, as you suggested.
In opening 'Telemetry' and other 'GPS' pages I did not see any RTK text.

I'm going to sleep on this and then re-read all documents really carefully again.
Given I have a second Solo, I'm going to re-run the 'upgrade procedure on her'.
With M8P rover and XXL Base upgraded to 1.40 first, then
With slight variation, I'll upgrade my Solo firmware with Arducopter-v2.px4, as suggested by Drotek.
Then upgrade to Open Solo if previous variations fail.

I never thought I'd have so much fun, with with my birds firmly on the ground.

You say that you upgraded to OpenSolo. Are you on green cube or not?
Your Mission Planner screenshot indicates Arducopter version 1.5.4
In order to get a RTK-float or RTK- fixed GPS lock you must be on Arducopter version 3.5 or higher.

No I have not yet purchased - installed a Pixhawk 2.1 - Green Cube on my Solo.
Reason: I cannot find a store with Green Cube willing to ship to Sierra Leone.
If necessary, I will find a way.

As for installing Arducopter 3.5, I understand it's not safe using the Solo stock cube.
I believe Open Solo 3.0 is safe with the Solo stock cube? Let me know if not.
Recently installed, I fly surveys tomorrow.

I'm in a bit of a fix not having a Green Cube.
Is installing a Green Cube the only way to gain RTK capacity?

Sorry if you mentioned this already- did you successfully install the Solo firmware from directly Drotek? They claim it works without the Green Cube.
Surprised if they made additional changes to the firmware that aren't incorporated in Open Solo, but it could be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo