Nexus 7 GPS for Follow Me?

Reaction score
I have a lot of problems getting my Nexus 7 (2103) to work in Follow; my Samsung S7 works well.

Even with two other GPS test and data programs indicating a 3D lock and 10 foot accuracy with 10 or more Sats, I will get a waiting for device GPS message. The few times I get it to work it loses the GPS signal from the device before I can really get started.

The GPS on the Nexus seems to work well in all other respects even pulling in location inside my house. I have been using it with MP and Tower for 2 years without issue. It seems that my only issues are with Follow.

Any thoughts?

make sure your locations service is on, and I had some luck loading maps while flying solo to force a refresh on your location

A few things come to mind. If you are on Marshmallow, it may be inadvertently optimizing your apps so it won't use up as much battery. This has the side effect of slower performance with real time apps like the Solo and it's Follow Me mode. Try going into your battery settings and disable battery optimizations for anything 3DR.

Second, the Nexus 7 wifi only will rely on wifi access points nearby and GPS whereas your phone uses those two AND cell triangulation which will increase performance and accuracy.

Hope it helps.

A few things come to mind. If you are on Marshmallow, it may be inadvertently optimizing your apps so it won't use up as much battery. This has the side effect of slower performance with real time apps like the Solo and it's Follow Me mode. Try going into your battery settings and disable battery optimizations for anything 3DR.

Second, the Nexus 7 wifi only will rely on wifi access points nearby and GPS whereas your phone uses those two AND cell triangulation which will increase performance and accuracy.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the input. There was no battery savers or optimization active. No wifi most places I use Follow, so that only leaves cells as an advantage for the S7.

Still puzzling since others don's seem to mention issues with the Nexus 7 and Follow.

Greg,
I too have a 2013 Nexus 7 and am having the same issue as you. My iPhone works fine but I would like to have a bigger screen.
Have you sorted you problem out yet?
Cheers
Aussie

Greg,
I too have a 2013 Nexus 7 and am having the same issue as you. My iPhone works fine but I would like to have a bigger screen.
Have you sorted you problem out yet?
Cheers
Aussie

Not had a chance to investigate it further. Last time I just used my S7 and Follow worked fine. When it is over 90 degrees out I just don't feel like flying. If I do get anywhere with it, I will post.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo