Newbie with a 3dr solo

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents and first and foremost thank you for the help I've already received browsing the forum!

I picked up a very lightly used 3dr solo with 4 3dr batteries and 2 controller batteries(all OEM not knock off), upgraded gps chip with the stock chip in the bag, 2 controllers, 6 sets of master aircrew props, 2 sets of 3dr props, gopro and stock gimble with the weights, 3dr bookbag and chargers for $400. Pretty sure that was a fair deal at the least.

This is my first drone. I am heavily into offshore fishing and hunting and love filming my adventures. I have 2 gopros that I've been using for years capturing my fishing, hunting, hiking, and overall adventure trips here in the states and overseas.

My name is Rich, I'm from VA on the beach and please excuse any stupid questions I may ask. I fully understand the search button and try utilize that before any stupid questions lol.

I have about 3 hours of flight time this far and have only hit 1 branch(took out 2 props), after discovering the flight speed adjustment. Flight speed went back down to turtle for the time being lol. My only concern with buying this drone is that the company is no longer with us but it seems this is a pretty awesome forum with very smart people.

So thank you in advance for all the current info and the help I may ask for!

Cheers
Rich

Reactions: Gmacsurfin
I guess my first question is, if you just purchased the above, what would be your list of upgrades? I am using the solo app v2.4 with a samsung galaxy 9. Keep in mind I am not very tech smart but I can learn easily. My main usage for the drone will be to capture footage off the boat and in the woods, once I'm confident in flight.

Keep pottering around with the drone until you feel comfortable flying it. Then upgrade to Solex and Open Solo. They are two very worthwhile upgrades. Solex offers for more features than the out of date (and no longer supported) Solo app. Open Solo updates several of the flight characteristics as well as updating the software within the drone. Many people have upgraded the GPS chip as the stock chip (rev a) was terrible and would take a long time to get a sat lock. If you're going to be filming from a boat, you may have issues with the drone taking off if the boat isn't pretty still. In which case a further upgrade worth looking at (when you're comfy with the drone that is) is the Green Cube. This combined with Solex offer's a "boat mode" specifically for launching the drone from an unstable boat.

I second the Irishman on OpenSolo and Green Cube. Flying in the woods will be difficult if you need satellite lock. No problem if you're a good manual pilot. Over the woods no problem since you will have clear sky access to satellites.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela