Newbie...Most Important Initial "Additional" Items for 3DR Solo?

Reaction score
Hello everyone...

Well, I snagged one of those eBay specials. The kit comes with standard props, battery, etc. and standard GPS (not sure if it's the latest version, but hoping so). I am pairing it with a GoPro Hero3 White for right now until I can afford a cam upgrade for more cam/drone functionality.

I plan to eventually use the UAV for commercial use. I am an experienced R/C plane operator. But never had a decent drone.

I thought some experienced guys might tell me if I need any immediate hardware upgrades. etc before beginning the learning process of operating. I will also need to probably update to latest firmware, etc.

I am using an iPhone 6Plus right now as my monitor/link, but do intend to find a decent iPad Mini 4 or so with 10.3 or earlier on it to use (I saw that 11 will probably not be supported as Solo is no longer in business).

I do not have a gimbal at present, but is that the most important thing to learn on? I saw several posts about GPS problems, and looked up the upgrades mentioned. Hopefully I can fly it out of the box, but maybe I need some other things. Extra Props from the get-go? Other things?

Any help from the pros on here? All input is appreciated, and valued.

Thanks so much!
Kevin

PS: Currently studying for my FAA UAV (107) Pilot License. I plan to take that test asap. Thanks!

Gps definitely
Grab the Here or MRO
A set of alphas for improved distance
And Richs gimbal isolation
User names humble cable

Now if you want to go all in
Update to the green cube and arducopter firmware

Reactions: Thumper
Gps definitely
Grab the Here or MRO
A set of alphas for improved distance
And Richs gimbal isolation
User names humble cable

Now if you want to go all in
Update to the green cube and arducopter firmware

Agree with all. In my opinion, if you don't have a gimbal on the Solo, you don't really have a photo/video drone. Imagery is not very use-able without a gimbal.

Pyrate, do you have a Here on your Solo? If so, where did you get the split cable for GPS and compass to fit the Solo? Or did you just make your own wiring harness? I installed the mRo GPS on one of Solos, and have a Here on a DIY frame. Want an M8N on my other Solo too, but the Here is $30 cheaper than the mRo version, so I'm thinking of installing the Here.

Thanks so much! I will look at each of these, and will look up Curtis Leo as well. Hopefully I will get a good Solo out of the box. I'm not usually that lucky, but maybe this time I'll get a break :). An engineer by trade, I am careful on set up and actually read instructions, lol. I did buy an EJH Prop Balancer that was recommended. Just in case the stock props aren't balanced upon arrival. I will spend several hours on the links given. Thanks! Kevin

Thanks so much! I will look at each of these, and will look up Curtis Leo as well. Hopefully I will get a good Solo out of the box. I'm not usually that lucky, but maybe this time I'll get a break :). An engineer by trade, I am careful on set up and actually read instructions, lol. I did buy an EJH Prop Balancer that was recommended. Just in case the stock props aren't balanced upon arrival. I will spend several hours on the links given. Thanks! Kevin
Happy to help!

Do you have to do any software update with the MRO GPS or is it just swap out and go?

Best get propellers....Master Air Screw are best then APC second (APC's are tough but don't look as sweet as MAS props) stock props work great but fragile. On my first flight i flew for less than a minute ...crashed (user error) and down for 3 weeks as i waited for props!.

Reactions: skyhax
That's why I ordered one for my Solo.
Just received my mRo GPS and did a test flight.
I was lucky that my Solo came with a Rev B GPS but in my area, could only get a lock of 6-9 satellites.
With the 3DR v2 GPS shielding, that went up to 10-12.
Now with the mRo and the 3DR v2, I'm getting a lock on 19-20.
Well worth the investment in my opinion.

I have seen a lot of posts about GPS mods. How to I tell which GPS I have in my unit, and if I should upgrade?

I am assuming your Solo is stock, so, from what I have picked up.
If the PC board the GPS is on is green, it is a Rev A.
If the PC board the GPS is on is black, it is a Rev B.
You can see the PC board by popping off that plastic shield in top of the Solo just before the Battery.
Whether or not you should upgrade to a better GPS will depend on how many satellite locks you are getting now.

If someone with more knowledge than I would correct me should any of this be incorrect.

I am assuming your Solo is stock, so, from what I have picked up.
If the PC board the GPS is on is green, it is a Rev A.
If the PC board the GPS is on is black, it is a Rev B.
You can see the PC board by popping off that plastic shield in top of the Solo just before the Battery.
Whether or not you should upgrade to a better GPS will depend on how many satellite locks you are getting now.

If someone with more knowledge than I would correct me should any of this be incorrect.

What is the PC board, is that the board the GPS is on?

I have the green board. I see 11 sats but it take 2-3 minutes. Think I will order a new GPS. It looks easy to install.

Just installed the mro board, wow. Got 10 sats on start up and had a total of 19 when I shut down. Living in Alaska I'm very happy.

Last edited:
I have an mRo GPS in one of my solos, close to $100 with shipping. On another of my Solos I installed a $17 BN-800 M8N GPS which worked the same as the mRo GPS. Both are M8N. But the BN-800 mounting screws don't line up perfectly and the wiring harness has to be adjusted to match up. I 3D printed a mount for the BN-800 that made it direct bolt-in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela