New Update - First Crash

Reaction score
What the $@#(&$@@@%!* !!!!!

This is not the post I expected to writing today ... I've had a great experience with Solo - for the most part - and been onboard from day one. I made it through preorder, the gimbal debacle and now this!

OK ... so last month I did a shoot in about 10 knot winds. It was enough to make palm trees sway and it looked really cool - like rotor wash from a helicopter. Solo did great and I was very pleased.

After a month of sitting - waiting - I was asked to grab some aerial of a local store. I got up early to install the update which seemed to go without incident. I went to the location and it all went to hell!

I submitted a support ticket -- feel free to comment --- see email below:

Dear Support:

What happened?

I want to preface this email with I am an experienced RC pilot. I have flown fixed wing since I was a kid, and these days in addition to “drones” I fly collective pitch - 3D helicopters — I’m working inverted flight with my RC heli :)

Now first lets talk about my last flight/photoshoot last October - PERFECT - I was called down to Florida to shoot an interior of an estate and the owners asked for aerial shots of their home (complimentary). I brought Solo instead of renting a helicopter. The location was the last point on Gasparilla Island before the Gulf of Mexico. Wind was about 8 knots … clear waters, dolphins, sand, and palm trees … Solo performed flawlessly and without incident. I packed up, went home and have not flown Solo until today.
D-DAY — I preflighted this morning and of course performed the most recent 3DR update. Yah! Great news … checked the charge on all my batteries and headed to the location of my shoot — My friend’s New Cadillac dealership — WIDE OPEN - huge parking lot with zero trees except around the perimeter. This area is Population 5000 … a very rural - country area. Prior to taking off I checked my Hover APP … “3 mph” wind, immediate GPS lock and go flight. Everything looked ok...

Back to - What happened?

First flight: Clear, open area and clear line of sight — Upon taking off Solo felt like it was not dealing well with the wind which I found odd as the winds in Florida were rocking the palm trees and Solo was solid in a hover —
Durning my first flight today I performed a couple of smart shots and Solo had difficulty maintaining a position when hovering. I brought Solo in, checked it over, installed a new flight battery and went back up. Several times during flight I selected loiter - Pause - and Solo did not respond. The “Brake” message appeared on screen and then the English chick was talking about “ready to fly” a second later. Throughout the shots I was manually compensating for the wind during the setup for the shot.

Second Flight: Again immediate GPS lockup and conditions unchanged. Solo took off and went to work. I performed a couple of cable cam and orbit shots… The orbit shot seemed off. When it came time to land Solo decided to do its own thing. I had Solo flying directly in front of me about 40 feet AGL and 20 feet out - had a perfect visual and line of sight. Solo was oriented nose out and I was walking Solo backwards to me. My intent was to land directly in front of me - nose out - in an open field directly, on the roadside - directly in front of the dealership. Solo’s controls became unresponsive. I attempted correct with no response - I attempted to brake Solo and tapped the pause button several times with no response. My spotter at this point was screaming “What are you doing??” … At this point Solo was at an altitude suitable to hover and land — Solo rolled, accelerated and passed quickly over my head — I had no control … Solo kept on going, crashed into a pole and fell to the ground from about 30 feet.
Solo - Flight Battery - Gimbal - GoPro Hero4 … all damaged.

Guys… all things being equal, the simplest answer is the most correct. I have had ZERO problems with my Solo since day one — the only complaint Ive had is a slow GPS lock. Other than this. Solo has performed flawlessly .. the only recent change is the installation of this most recent update - installed today.

This is not the post I expected to writing today ... I've had a great experience with Solo - for the most part - and been onboard from day one. I made it through preorder, the gimbal debacle and now this!

OK ... so last month I did a shoot in about 10 knot winds. It was enough to make palm trees sway and it looked really cool - like rotor wash from a helicopter. Solo did great and I was very pleased.

After a month of sitting - waiting - I was asked to grab some aerial of a local store. I got up early to install the update which seemed to go without incident. I went to the location and it all went to hell!

Dear Support:

What happened?

I want to preface this email with I am an experienced RC pilot. I have flown fixed wing since I was a kid, and these days in addition to “drones” I fly collective pitch - 3D helicopters — I’m working inverted flight with my RC heli :)

Now first lets talk about my last flight/photoshoot last October - PERFECT - I was called down to Florida to shoot an interior of an estate and the owners asked for aerial shots of their home (complimentary). I brought Solo instead of renting a helicopter. The location was the last point on Gasparilla Island before the Gulf of Mexico. Wind was about 8 knots … clear waters, dolphins, sand, and palm trees … Solo performed flawlessly and without incident. I packed up, went home and have not flown Solo until today.
D-DAY — I preflighted this morning and of course performed the most recent 3DR update. Yah! Great news … checked the charge on all my batteries and headed to the location of my shoot — My friend’s New Cadillac dealership — WIDE OPEN - huge parking lot with zero trees except around the perimeter. This area is Population 5000 … a very rural - country area. Prior to taking off I checked my Hover APP … “3 mph” wind, immediate GPS lock and go flight. Everything looked ok...

Back to - What happened?

First flight: Clear, open area and clear line of sight — Upon taking off Solo felt like it was not dealing well with the wind which I found odd as the winds in Florida were rocking the palm trees and Solo was solid in a hover —
Durning my first flight today I performed a couple of smart shots and Solo had difficulty maintaining a position when hovering. I brought Solo in, checked it over, installed a new flight battery and went back up. Several times during flight I selected loiter - Pause - and Solo did not respond. The “Brake” message appeared on screen and then the English chick was talking about “ready to fly” a second later. Throughout the shots I was manually compensating for the wind during the setup for the shot.

Second Flight: Again immediate GPS lockup and conditions unchanged. Solo took off and went to work. I performed a couple of cable cam and orbit shots… The orbit shot seemed off. When it came time to land Solo decided to do its own thing. I had Solo flying directly in front of me about 40 feet AGL and 20 feet out - had a perfect visual and line of sight. Solo was oriented nose out and I was walking Solo backwards to me. My intent was to land directly in front of me - nose out - in an open field directly, on the roadside - directly in front of the dealership. Solo’s controls became unresponsive. I attempted correct with no response - I attempted to brake Solo and tapped the pause button several times with no response. My spotter at this point was screaming “What are you doing??” … At this point Solo was at an altitude suitable to hover and land — Solo rolled, accelerated and passed quickly over my head — I had no control … Solo kept on going, crashed into a pole and fell to the ground from about 30 feet.

Guys… all things being equal, the simplest answer is the most correct. I have had ZERO problems with my Solo since day one — the only complaint Ive had is a slow GPS lock. Other than this. Solo has performed flawlessly .. the only recent change is the installation of this most recent update - installed today.
Sorry for your loss.
Looks like you lost GPS, Solo switched to AltHold, and you were drifting away with the wind. Send the logs to 3DR and you will get a new Solo and GoPro.

Probably not a good idea to update after not having flown in a while. You never know what bugs you might hit. My last flight was over two months ago. Before I put Solo in the air again Im going to have to do just as much research as I did the first time out. Not sure what's changed and I wouldn't want to blindly fly assuming all is well. Sounds like you had some sort of hardware failure or GPS problems wreaked havoc. Did you try switching to manual ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirrel,

Sorry to hear about this, Man. I hope 3dr gets on it right away. Hey, what OS, Andriod or IOS? Did you do both firmware and the Solo app update? I'm having a few slight issues myself so I'm just trying to stay informed. Again, really sorry.

Jerry

It

Dear Support:

What happened?

Back to - What happened?

I havint read anything in your post about doing a level and compass calibration after installing FW?
Just wondering if you've done that... I don't know if that was your problem .. But just curious if you have ?

I always do a level and compass calibration after installing a firmware ... Some people say you don't have to ... But I always do it just for just for preference!

Sorry for your Lost:(

Very sorry to hear this FS! Can you post your log of the flight? You don't say that you went into manual, only that you tried the Pause?

I did not calibrate after the firmware ... Poop! Honestly I've had such a flawless flight history I didn't think to calibrate ...

All I remember - at the end - is Solo was drifting. I am pretty good at hovering and regaining control from unusual orientation ... I didn't panic, I just responded with stick input - more more more - and then I was like uh oh better think fast ... Right thumb tap tap tap and expecting Solo to stop and hold.

I'm certain this was not pilot error ... Perhaps operator error ... The calibration

if it lost GPS it should have went to manual mode and stick control should have been present regardless of calibration
definitely wait and see what 3DR sees in the logs

That close to you controller signal loss should not have been a problem but what you describe sounds like it lost GPS and Control signal all at the same time

Thinking ... I recall losing control signal with Solo almost directly overhead. Solo went RTH and the controller synced up during landing.

Is this technology comparable to cell technology? We have a cell tower at our exit... Calls are always dropped getting off the interstate

Thinking ... I recall losing control signal with Solo almost directly overhead. Solo went RTH and the controller synced up during landing.

Is this technology comparable to cell technology? We have a cell tower at our exit... Calls are always dropped getting off the interstate
I did not calibrate after the firmware ... Poop! Honestly I've had such a flawless flight history I didn't think to calibrate ...

All I remember - at the end - is Solo was drifting. I am pretty good at hovering and regaining control from unusual orientation ... I didn't panic, I just responded with stick input - more more more - and then I was like uh oh better think fast ... Right thumb tap tap tap and expecting Solo to stop and hold.

I'm certain this was not pilot error ... Perhaps operator error ... The calibration
The way you described your bad experience in your first post ...the Solo really sounded like it was very disoriented and lost with lots of drifting.....sound like that would be caused by lost of GPS !!

Interested to see what 3DR finds in your logs. A scenario like this is my worst fear.

What kills me here is I am questioning my own ability ... I have recovered an RC helicopter with a bad tail rotor ... Cut the power and auto-rotated ... I broke the landing gear but saved the helicopter.

This crash has made me very sad ... Out of nowhere ... Just reminder that my GoPro was insured at Best Buy ... Hoping I will be made whole by 3DR.

The logs will allow 3DR to see what happened so hopefully you've already sent those in?

How do you orient your antenna on the controller?

Directly overhead is always a bad place to be, but the antenna orientation can make that a lot worse if it is sub-optimal.

The automated technology that makes GPS enabled UAVs so easy to fly also makes them very easy to crash if everything isn't done just right. None of the Manuals from 3DR, DJI, & Yuneec provide sufficient information not to crash. My guess is in your case is not calibrating everything after the firmware update. Sorry you crashed. All of us have crashed or will crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kills me here is I am questioning my own ability ... I have recovered an RC helicopter with a bad tail rotor ... Cut the power and auto-rotated ... I broke the landing gear but saved the helicopter.

This crash has made me very sad ... Out of nowhere ... Just reminder that my GoPro was insured at Best Buy ... Hoping I will be made whole by 3DR.

I think your in good hands with 3DR :)
It dosint look like operator Error to me!
But I guess you'll find out when 3DR reviews your logs !
If your Solo Glitched out and caused to crash..then I think 3DR well replace everything that was damaged..!

Cheers

Reactions: Flying Squirrel
My guess is in your case is not calibrating everything after the firmware update.

I would consider that to be highly unlikely.

There has never been a requirement with Solo to run calibrations at any time other than when Solo itself asks for them.

No harm in doing them of course, but no need either...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela