New to solo. Having issues

Reaction score
Hello I purchased a used solo and when I start it up the FLY button doesn't start the motors... instead I have to pull both sticks down and inward to start. Anyone know why? Or how to correct? Also if anyone can point in the right direction on how to install and use better software.
Thanks

Do you hold down the fly button, or just press it?
I hold it down. I had a solo before but sold it because of the whole going under thing but love the drone so finally got another one used ofcourse. But I just tested it again and its only the left stick that i have to hold down to the inside corner and then its tells me to press the fly button to take off but does nothing. I can only take off with stick

Sorry - didn't know you had one before. That's an odd one. I haven't heard of it before.

Sorry - didn't know you had one before. That's an odd one. I haven't heard of it before.
Yes that's what I thought. I have no idea what it could be. What do I need to look at the controller using a computer? Maybe it's a setting?

Yes that's what I thought. I have no idea what it could be. What do I need to look at the controller using a computer? Maybe it's a setting?
When you hold the fly button to Arm what sound if any is the solo making? Perhaps the solo see's a fail-safe and wont arm in Flymode? Mission planner is free works on windows or Linux and is a great tool for AP-Copter-Solo.
To arm the solo's motors it's left stick "down and right only" do not touch the right stick.
To disarm "left stick down and left or just straight down only" no input from right stick at all (except to position while airborne) or you will have a problem if you land that way...Do a search on that scenario...One more thing search for open Solo that is the newest Open Source firmware for the solo.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Or it could be a bad contact with the fly button. When you press and hold down "FLY", does the controller do anything? Do you get the "FLY" message with the bar across the screen? Or does nothing happen at all?

When you hold the fly button to Arm what sound if any is the solo making? Perhaps the solo see's a fail-safe and wont arm in Flymode? Mission planner is free works on windows or Linux and is a great tool for AP-Copter-Solo.
To arm the solo's motors it's left stick "down and right only" do not touch the right stick.
To disarm "left stick down and left or just straight down only" no input from right stick at all (except to position while airborne) or you will have a problem if you land that way...Do a search on that scenario...One more thing search for open Solo that is the newest Open Source firmware for the solo.
Thank I will check open solo

Or it could be a bad contact with the fly button. When you press and hold down "FLY", does the controller do anything? Do you get the "FLY" message with the bar across the screen? Or does nothing happen at all?
The fly button is reading that I am pressing it. Just does everything but start and fly with it. I can only start with the left stick and the bring the stick up to start lifting off .

I'm a little confused, the stick is not active until the FLY button is held and the green bar loads. After that the motors should start.
I had a problem with my controller in that the power and fly buttons would stick. It caused all sorts of issues, usually landing and shutting itself down.
I would use my fingernail to flick the fly button up and it would continue flying.
There is a repair for that issue, it can be found in search function on the forum.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused, the stick is not active until the FLY button is held and the green bar loads. After that the motors should start.
I had a problem with my controller in that the power and fly buttons would stick. It caused all sorts of issues, usually landing and shutting itself down.
I would use my fingernail to flick the fly button up and it would continue flying.
There is a repair for that issue, it can be found in search function on the forum.
Hope that helps.
The fly button is not sticking. The stick works as soon as hold fly to start motors comes on the screen but when I hold the button the green goes all the way as it should but nothing happens. When I hold the stick down and to the right...it starts the motors.

Where do I get mission planner? How do I use it? Thanks for the help

Where do I get mission planner? How do I use it? Thanks for the help
What firmware version are you running on the Solo it will tell you in the Solo app it almost sounds like a parameter problem? Also make sure the level and compass calibrations are all correct.

If you want to use mission planner you need to be very careful you could actually make things worse. Do a search on how to use it for the Solo and don't just randomly click settings while you are connected to it..
Oh and when it prompts you to use the wizard to setup click not now...You also want to make sure you are using mission planner in expert mode the first thing you should do is reset the Solo's Parameters Look for " SYSID_SW_MREV" and set it to 0, and Write Parameters , then reboot the Solo. and redo the calibrations on Solo after you do this.

Mission planner is here use the 1.3.56 MSI or zip for windows >> ArduPilot firmware : /Tools/MissionPlanner

What firmware version are you running on the Solo it will tell you in the Solo app it almost sounds like a parameter problem? Also make sure the level and compass calibrations are all correct.

If you want to use mission planner you need to be very careful you could actually make things worse. Do a search on how to use it for the Solo and don't just randomly click settings while you are connected to it..
Oh and when it prompts you to use the wizard to setup click not now...You also want to make sure you are using mission planner in expert mode the first thing you should do is reset the Solo's Parameters Look for " SYSID_SW_MREV" and set it to 0, and Write Parameters , then reboot the Solo. and redo the calibrations on Solo after you do this.

Mission planner is here use the 1.3.56 MSI or zip for windows >> ArduPilot firmware : /Tools/MissionPlanner
I believe its 2.4.2. That's what it said after reset. I have taken it apart, I took out the sd cards from remote and drone. I did put liquid electrical on them. I have reset about 5 times. Its driving me insane. I will try to post a video. I will also try what you suggested. Thank you. Is the solo app worth the $29.99 ? Also do I have to pay for each device I put it on? I don't really do mission planning at the moment! Also if you any other suggestions like upgrades on modifications to give this drone a longer life that would be great. As I know there is no help from 3dr. Thanks again

Please note that a factory reset is different from a parameter reset. Have you done a parameter reset? (that thing @XevetS is talking about above)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc