New to Solo and itching to fly!

Reaction score
Hi All. Im from Norway and recently had to good fortune of receiving a Solo with Gimbal, as a gift! Super stoked as ive been flying RC for years and start with FPV back in the day....then had kids.......
Now im the proud owner of a Solo and im just waiting for the rain to let up so i can go fly.
Must say that Colin Guinn's webseminar on youtube is a must for anybody needing the full understanding of the smartshots and the drones capablities.
Noticed there's is alot of hate out there for the Solo, is it justified...or just the usual brand justification?
A
Either way it seem a solid product and now i just wanna get some flying in!
Thanks for the informative Forum!

Reactions: MrTJ
Welcome.....be sure to read and fully understand the user manual....enjoy your first of many flights

Reactions: Gazzainnorway
Also you a great country to fly it in.....all those fjords.....awesome countryside and mountainsides.....enjoy

Last edited:
Also you a great country to fly it in.....all those fjords.....awesome countryside and mountainsides.....enjoy
Thanks Bilge.
Yipp, can't wait to go exploring. Read the manual and done some simulator flights. One thing I'll have to see is whether I can actually take off myself, or do I have to use the fly button, after powering up?

Manual takeoff is always available. ...just push up on left stick after motors have armed.....make sure you have GPS lock prior to takeoff

If you don't have GPS lock prior to takeoff....Solo will not know it's way home if you should happen to lose the connection between the controller and drone.....

I can't stress enough the importance of knowing the user manual front to back before 1st flight

Hi All. Im from Norway and recently had to good fortune of receiving a Solo with Gimbal, as a gift! Super stoked as ive been flying RC for years and start with FPV back in the day....then had kids.......
Now im the proud owner of a Solo and im just waiting for the rain to let up so i can go fly.
Must say that Colin Guinn's webseminar on youtube is a must for anybody needing the full understanding of the smartshots and the drones capablities.
Noticed there's is alot of hate out there for the Solo, is it justified...or just the usual brand justification?
A
Either way it seem a solid product and now i just wanna get some flying in!
Thanks for the informative Forum!
Welcome! Don't worry about the haters- they are just jealous because Solo is so much better.

It is a sophisticated machine and you must know how to fly it to get the most out of it. Not hard to do, have fun!

There will be a few bumps along the way.....but once you have this machine all dialed in......this will stack up nicely against all other drones......nice thing .....open source platform and Smart Shots.....

Well what can I say! :)
Had a break in the rain, couldn't wait any longer so decided to take her for a spin in the back yard.
Maiden flight = super impressed!!!
PID worked like it should with smooth predictable flight (albeit slow, only because I still got the sensetivity dialled way down) never once gave me stress and I must say; that sweet adrenaline buzz from doing a Maiden flight was awesome to feel again!
One thing I'll wanna do is figure out how I'm gonna balance the radio so it hangs level from my neck strap.
Off next week, and will take her to a old naval fortress for some play!!!
Thank you Bilge and Maddog for all your input, much appreciated!
Med Vennlig Hilsen.
G

Reactions: Maddog
The balance is terrible with a neck strap. I'm going to build a transmitter tray this week!

There are some nice 3D printed devices out there which help balance the controller. I don't use a neck strap so I don't have a recommendation for you.

Well what can I say! :)
Had a break in the rain, couldn't wait any longer so decided to take her for a spin in the back yard.
Maiden flight = super impressed!!!
PID worked like it should with smooth predictable flight (albeit slow, only because I still got the sensetivity dialled way down) never once gave me stress and I must say; that sweet adrenaline buzz from doing a Maiden flight was awesome to feel again!
One thing I'll wanna do is figure out how I'm gonna balance the radio so it hangs level from my neck strap.
Off next week, and will take her to a old naval fortress for some play!!!
Thank you Bilge and Maddog for all your input, much appreciated!
Med Vennlig Hilsen.
G
I added a connection point for the neck strap here:
View media item 326Not perfect but better balanced.

Just a quick up date on my experiences.
. So far I've had 8 flights with my Solo.
. I've been using both Solex and Solo app.
.From the start I pulled the cover and put some insulation between the GPS module and the shield.
.I've also cut into my charger cable and soldered in a Dean's connector so that I'm able to use my LIPO charger for maintenance.
. Made a screen hood out of some cardboard.

I've had zero problems with the hardware, drone, gimbal ext. The only issues are with Solex app giving me incorrect battery info, and the selfie shot turning the drone 180°. Otherwise everything is very positive!
Can't wait for the summer to kick in!
Really enjoying my Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc