New Solo Setup

Reaction score
I bought a Solo that was taken back to Best Buy. After I opened it I noticed that the box with the props had not been opened so I thought it had never been flown. After charging the batteries and turning on the Solo then the transmitter I looked at my wifi. Yep, the password had been changed. Last Friday I saw where Best Buy had new ones for $299 that came with the gimbal so I bought one. After setting this one up I went to my wifi and the password was not Sololink_#### like the paperwork said it would be. I could not go into the app and set it up as well. Did they sell me one that had already been setup before I got it? I could however log into the wifi with the default password but after I did it says no internet connection. Do I really have to factory reset a new Solo or do I just take it back? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I bought a few of the Certified Geek Squad Refurbs. AKA USED! Sent back same day. They probably raised the price on the New ones to make these look like you are getting a deal when you are getting someone elses problem. I also bought a new one to part out and as I removed the lens noticed 3 motor screws were missing.This one showed no signs of being opened I assume productions quality control gave up.

The ability to set up an account was disabled by 3DR sometime ago. I think that's what you are referring to, right?

Turn on the Controller, when it boots, power up the Solo. Then on whatever device you are using, iPhone etc., go into the system settings for your mobile device, wifi networks, and look for the Sololink_##### wifi network, select Connect and then use: sololink as the P/W. Once your device connects, then you can open the Solo app. Later you be prompted to change the name of the network and assign a new p/w, it will still be prefaced with Sololink_. I apologize in advance if this sounds too basic, not trying to sound condescending, the exact steps that you took to connect are a bit hazy from your explanation.

"No internet connection " while connected to Solo is normal. The Solo WiFi network does not have a connection to the internet and doesn't need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn on the Controller, when it boots, power up the Solo. Then on whatever device you are using, iPhone etc., go into the system settings for your mobile device, wifi networks, and look for the Sololink_##### wifi network, select Connect and then use: sololink as the P/W. Once your device connects, then you can open the Solo app. Later you be prompted to change the name of the network and assign a new p/w, it will still be prefaced with Sololink_. I apologize in advance if this sounds too basic, not trying to sound condescending, the exact steps that you took to connect are a bit hazy from your explanation.
CS223, when I go into my wifi it did not have the default of Sololink_#### but the default password sololink worked. I did get the Solo and the transmitter to update. When I go into the app the solo settings tab is greyed out and won't let me in. Should that be correct?

CS223, when I go into my wifi it did not have the default of Sololink_#### but the default password sololink worked. I did get the Solo and the transmitter to update. When I go into the app the solo settings tab is greyed out and won't let me in. Should that be correct?

When the controller, Solo and app are up and running does it say connected to vehicle in the upper LH corner of the app? If not, it won't let you access the Solo settings. Are you using an Apple device or Android device?

When the controller, Solo and app are up and running does it say connected to vehicle in the upper LH corner of the app? If not, it won't let you access the Solo settings. Are you using an Apple device or Android device?
I'm using the iPhone 6 and it says Connect in the left hand corner. I'm not sure what to do to get it to connect?

First what version of iOS are you running? If you recently updated to 10.3 then there is known problem, there is a thread on the subject if you search for it. Otherwise do the following:
Clear the app; double click the home button and swipe up on the Solo app and any other apps you want to close.
Next power up the controller and wait for the Waiting for Solo screen.
Next power on Solo and wait for it to boot up.
Next on your iPhone select the Settings icon then WiFi. It will give you a Choose Network option at which you can select Sololink_##### you will be prompted for the p/w sololink. Then it will connect. At this point you can exit out of settings and open the Solo app. It may ask you to connect or it may connect automatically. Then you can access the Solo settings. Going forward, the Solo app will connect automatically since the iPhone retains the network info. Again, if you recently updated to 10.3, all this is null until they fix the problem. You can downgrade iOS to 10.2 in the mean time.

First what version of iOS are you running? If you recently updated to 10.3 then there is known problem, there is a thread on the subject if you search for it. Otherwise do the following:
Clear the app; double click the home button and swipe up on the Solo app and any other apps you want to close.
Next power up the controller and wait for the Waiting for Solo screen.
Next power on Solo and wait for it to boot up.
Next on your iPhone select the Settings icon then WiFi. It will give you a Choose Network option at which you can select Sololink_##### you will be prompted for the p/w sololink. Then it will connect. At this point you can exit out of settings and open the Solo app. It may ask you to connect or it may connect automatically. Then you can access the Solo settings. Going forward, the Solo app will connect automatically since the iPhone retains the network info. Again, if you recently updated to 10.3, all this is null until they fix the problem. You can downgrade iOS to 10.2 in the mean time.
Thanks, I am running 10.2.1 on my iPhone so I guess I'm good on that one. i will try the other steps this evening with my fingers crossed. The other two Solos had no problems setting up. Just this one and the fourth one which was bought used from Best Buy is an all together different beast. I'll worry about that one after I get this new one up in the air.

Take some screenshots of your iPhone when running the app so we can see what is grayed out within the app.

Take some screenshots of your iPhone when running the app so we can see what is grayed out within the app.
I finally got everything connected and am now waiting for good weather to get it in the air. Now I'm looking at a GoPro that will work with the gimbal. I was trying to use a GoPro 3 and have since learned that it will not work. Even though the diagram on the 3DR website (Connecting Your Camera ) shows and even says GoPro 3, 3+ and 4.

Attachments

• gopro connection.jpg
    gopro connection.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 13
GoPro has good deals on refurb 4 Silver and Black. I bought a Silver which was $220 if I recall. The Black was $280? You can't tell them apart from new units, same warranty, accessories & support.

I finally got everything connected and am now waiting for good weather to get it in the air. Now I'm looking at a GoPro that will work with the gimbal. I was trying to use a GoPro 3 and have since learned that it will not work. Even though the diagram on the 3DR website (Connecting Your Camera ) shows and even says GoPro 3, 3+ and 4.

That diagram you linked is not for the gimbal. The skeleton frame will hold your GoPro 3. With the HDMI connected, I believe you will get video, but its not saying the 3 will work with the gimbal.

I use the hero 3 white with mine, it will still work. You just have to hit record before putting it in the air. You won't however be able to using such things as the panoramic shots or anything where the camera has to be controlled. But if you already have a hero 3 like I did, for just flying around getting video it will work. The gimbal is also already set for the weight of hero3 so u don't have to add any counter weights. I have no issues getting video on my phone or tablet with my go pro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela