New Solo pilot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am officially a new Solo Pilot. I bought a Syma x8hw to understand drones and quickly realised the bug bit hard. I researched quite a bit online and found myself venturing towards the Solo (arrived today and one battery load under the belt). I that it is American and I like the exhilaration of the concept of open source. Plus, out the box it is a beaut and flies beyond my expectations. The clincher for me was the fact that it is sold in South Africa and delivered. The package must be related to the recent sales: I got the Solo, the backpack, the gimbal, 2 batteries...(a nifty screwdriver and stickers to boot) all for under R8000.00. I have attached a go pro 3 silver, struggled to get a live feed, but after searching the forum, I found the solution, and that is to restart the gopro while still connected to a live Solo. You do have to leave the video screen (back button) and return to it. I have a feeling the live feed times out, will test that tomorrow. I have also downloaded Tower and the map image is a very! old satellite image but I love the concept. Also, eyeballing Solex. I got 10 satellites, no problem and I am still blown away by the image quality. And hopefully tomorrow I will sort out the live feed.
I hope I don't get issues like others did but thus far, this machine is a no brainer.

Cheers from sunny South Africa

Reactions: speatuk
Hi all,

I am officially a new Solo Pilot. I bought a Syma x8hw to understand drones and quickly realised the bug bit hard. I researched quite a bit online and found myself venturing towards the Solo (arrived today and one battery load under the belt). I that it is American and I like the exhilaration of the concept of open source. Plus, out the box it is a beaut and flies beyond my expectations. The clincher for me was the fact that it is sold in South Africa and delivered. The package must be related to the recent sales: I got the Solo, the backpack, the gimbal, 2 batteries...(a nifty screwdriver and stickers to boot) all for under R8000.00. I have attached a go pro 3 silver, struggled to get a live feed, but after searching the forum, I found the solution, and that is to restart the gopro while still connected to a live Solo. You do have to leave the video screen (back button) and return to it. I have a feeling the live feed times out, will test that tomorrow. I have also downloaded Tower and the map image is a very! old satellite image but I love the concept. Also, eyeballing Solex. I got 10 satellites, no problem and I am still blown away by the image quality. And hopefully tomorrow I will sort out the live feed.
I hope I don't get issues like others did but thus far, this machine is a no brainer.

I know just how you feel!
If you can trade up to a GP4B, Then you will have many more options available & the GP will auto off/On up to Ver.3.0

Reactions: Doringtoon
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the 3DRPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in 3DR quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!

Hi all,

Welcome,Doringtoon. Glad to have you with us. Like SteveReno said, it would be to your advantage to upgrade your camera. The Hero 3 Silver just won't do your Solo justice. You will need at least a GoPro Hero 3+ Black for the use of camera functions, but your best bet would be to go with the Hero 4 Silver or Black. Also, if you haven't done so yet, download the Solo manual, and study it. It has a lot of useful information in it. Again, welcome aboard, and safe flying to you.

Thanks Chuck, manual downloaded and read before Solo arrived. Am hunting for GP4B. Tested cable cam, the automated slow speed creates a super cinematic effect. Again, I get why Solo is well suited for aerial photography. Will be meandering through the forum to learn about Tower and Mission Planner...Although there was an issue with the diydrones website today, anyone else experience that?

Hi Doringtoon,

Glad to hear there's another Solo pilot down here in sunny SA. I'm also new to it, luckily I have a GP4S, so haven't had any issues with video feed. Couple of hours under the belt already, really enjoying it.

Going well thanks! Have also learned to NOT return to Home when there are trees within 5 metres and the GPS signal isn't great (impressive self-righting software as the Solo bounced from branch to branch), and have also learned that I'm not such a good pilot (tried to land on my backpack, didn't end well).

Other than that, going well and trying to get good footage! Will upload some soon.

How are you guys doing?

I'm loving the Solo , using it to survey mostly as well as get to grips with the autonomous element, ie Tower and to a lesser extent Mission Planner. I also tried landing on a tower of bricks which did not end well either, broke a prop, but she flew flawlessly after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc