New Solo Owner

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just wanted to say hello and "glad" to finally have gotten myself a quad.

Got the solo last week from Best Buy.

With no experience, I went to the local park to test it out (obviously static mount and a Hero3+ Black.).

Video is here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After that, I flew it at my girlfriends house for a bit; until GPS was lost from my drone, and all of a sudden it started flying backwards into a tree...

Shattered 2 props, but no harm otherwise. Sent the logs to 3DR to try to figure out what went wrong on my flyaway... I had absolutely no control; the sticks did literally nothing to me, and the quad wouldn't shut off right away... What horrifies me is that the day before I flew it in a park - with people there (albeit, not a lot of people... but it still freaks me out thinking imagine if it happened there??)

Fly it during my lunch break today, and she worked perfectly.... Only concern is how long it takes GPS to connect, and why it's so difficult to achieve above 8 sat...

Thinking perhaps I need to upgrade the antennas??

Also, has anyone flown these out in the ocean before? I do a lot of deep sea fishing; by no means am I a professional photog/videog - just a hobby.. I'd love to get this flying around the boat at 120mi into the Atlantic....

Anyways, very excited for what's to come for the Solo - hopefully some updates help a lot of the GPS glitches and so forth.

Jon

Absolutely, however you may have to walk me through the process to do so. How do I access the logs? I'm assuming I could go to my sent mail, find what was forwarded - but is it a readable file or do I need any particular software?

Welcome the the forum. Thanks for sharing the video.
A few of us have experienced the GPS issue. I have not yet....knock on wood. In fact, I have had no problems with mine since I got it on the 25th of June. It's been a pretty solid flyer for me. Counting down the days for the gimbal to arrive.
Yes, I hope a firmware update will fix these issues. In the meantime, keep flying.

Absolutely, however you may have to walk me through the process to do so. How do I access the logs? I'm assuming I could go to my sent mail, find what was forwarded - but is it a readable file or do I need any particular software?
When you sent the logs to 3DR you should have a copy of them in your email "sent' folder. Just DL the attached file and post here.

It sent 7 files, only one of the 7 is a readable file. Something tells me this is not the correct one to post lol.

Maybe I can open the others with notepad when I get to my desktop?

MSVLoggingMasterSwitchEnabledKey -> 0
ARTOOLINK_IP -> 10.1.1.1
UnitPreference -> 1
com.apple.content-rating.TVShowRating -> 1000
CachedLatestArtooVersion -> {
md5 = afb398e4e5fb21045dda0ff61ff55ad4;
notes = "- Automatically switches to FLY:Manual mode when GPS quality drops beneath acceptable threshold
\n- Improved checks to ensure GPS quality before takeoff
\n- Reduced time to acquire GPS lock in some environments
\n- New feature: Lift the throttle to exit LAND mode";
updateLocation = "https://ddi00u8iknwj1.cloudfront.net/media/releases/2015/06/26/controller_1.0.5.tar.gz";
version = "1.0.5";
}
AppleLanguages -> (
en
)
VoiceAlertsEnabled -> 1
AnonymousFeedbackIsEnabled -> 1
NSLanguages -> (
en
)
GimbalTiltPresetMin -> 0
CachedLatestSoloVersion -> {
md5 = ea23798203716e2c248661d27c1c82e0;
notes = "- Automatically switches to FLY:Manual mode when GPS quality drops beneath acceptable threshold
\n- Improved checks to ensure GPS quality before takeoff
\n- Reduced time to acquire GPS lock in some environments
\n- New feature: Lift the throttle to exit LAND mode";
updateLocation = "https://ddi00u8iknwj1.cloudfront.net/media/releases/2015/06/26/solo_1.0.5.tar.gz";
version = "1.0.5";
}
AppleITunesStoreItemKinds -> (
audiobook,
"tv-episode",
booklet,
software,
"software-update",
"itunes-u",
ringtone,
"tv-season",
movie,
mix,
newsstand,
song,
wemix,
tone,
artist,
"podcast-episode",
podcast,
document,
eBook,
album,
"music-video"
)
SoloAgility -> 0
INNextHearbeatDate -> 459447804.803213
AutomaticallyRecordOnShots -> 0
AppleLanguagesDidMigrate -> 8.3
AppleICUForce24HourTime -> 0
SOLOLINK_IP -> 10.1.1.10
com.apple.content-rating.MovieRating -> 1000
ControllerStylePreference -> 2
WebKitKerningAndLigaturesEnabledByDefault -> 1
SoloSpeedLimit -> 0
GimbalTiltSpeed -> 50
SoloAltitudeLimit -> 45
AppleLocale -> en_US
FirstRunTasksCompleted -> (
ConnectToSolo,
Update,
FPV,
OrbitTutorial,
SupportRegistration
)
UniqueUserID -> A8C6F5AA-7812-4081-AA9A-21896E3570D6
WatchedVideos -> (
"http://player.vimeo.com/external/129587401.m3u8?p=high,standard&s=d6f7789add792ff7ef2899645c368d3b",
"http://player.vimeo.com/external/12...ard,mobile&s=08bb9e4b34ce134e1d0f5a2b31274cb3",
"http://player.vimeo.com/external/12...ard,mobile&s=114807c07f2685227c86f1107e1aaded",
"http://player.vimeo.com/external/13...ard,mobile&s=de4f525b002c0fc18107c2f408eaf3f1"
)
LATEST_VERSION -> 36
AddingEmojiKeybordHandled -> 1
CachedArtooVersion -> 1.0.5
GEOUsageSessionID -> <08d6cdcb a4aef88a a76110aa dbeca7fa faaed89e 01>
com.apple.content-rating.ExplicitMusicPodcastsAllowed -> 1
SoloArmLightUserPreset -> 0
VoiceAlertVolume -> 0.6
SHOTMANAGER_IP -> 10.1.1.10
GimbalTiltPresetMax -> 3
AppleKeyboards -> (
"en_US"
)
CachedSoloVersion -> 1.0.5
SoloPresetB -> 1
com.apple.content-rating.ExplicitBooksAllowed -> 1
NSInterfaceStyle -> macintosh
GEOUsageSessionIDGenerationTime -> 458537097.692681
RecordLocalVideo -> 0
AdvancedFlightModesEnabled -> 0
SoloPresetA -> 0
com.apple.content-rating.AppRating -> 1000

One thing to remember with boats.... They are mobile, and so your "home" position moves. One of the failsafes with the Solo is RTH (Return To Home). Home is wherever you Armed the Solo, which on a boat could be a patch of water far away.....

So... if you were ever to loose contact with the Solo or hit one of the limits, or hit the RTH button and it returns to home.... You had better be there... There are also situations where Solo would just land wherever it is, and the same thing holds true there.

Getting Solo wet is bad. Getting Solo wet with salt water is REALLY bad. Given that it also doesn't float, landing Solo unattended in the ocean in deep water likely means a lost bird...

^^^ Understood!

I was thinking that on the bow of the boat, having a manual land shouldn't be too hard - or perhaps a hand-land, if anyone has tried it yet.

Just to make sure you are understanding what he is getting at. The landing it is the easy part. But if you lose connectivity which you probably will or run the battery down its going to turn around and and fly back to the spot it took off at. If the boat is somewhere else it doesn't know that.

You might have got that but just want to clarify.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
No I certainly understood. I need to get more comfortable flying, regardless of where I am, before trying it out on open water like that... I start to sweat when I fly it a couple of hundred feet away and 120' up in the sky...

I have ways to go I guess.

Any recommendation on an upgraded antenna to improve signal strength?

Either the DBS Mods Stealth panel or the FPVLR system. I have had FPVLR in the past and its a good product but have a DBS panel coming for my P3 and my Solo this time around.

Hello Jon

I am a fisherman too, in fact I fish two times a month, open water and deep sea fishing too for pelagics.

I have been looking for some time now for a waterproof copter and in my finding I came across this beauty and just ordered one today.

it is a larger copter and when you add things up it is 3 times the price of the solo but it will give you some very nice features and it will take underwater photos and video, can't wait to get to a school of yellowfins and get this baby in the water.

http://www.quadh2o.com/hexh2o-ready-fly-kit/

I just ordered the Solo today as well and while I don't plan on flying it over water, here is an interesting option I also found from another forum member

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/solo-drone-floats-prototype.450/

regards,

Hey All,

Just wanted to say hello and "glad" to finally have gotten myself a quad.

Got the solo last week from Best Buy.

With no experience, I went to the local park to test it out (obviously static mount and a Hero3+ Black.).

Video is here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After that, I flew it at my girlfriends house for a bit; until GPS was lost from my drone, and all of a sudden it started flying backwards into a tree...

Shattered 2 props, but no harm otherwise. Sent the logs to 3DR to try to figure out what went wrong on my flyaway... I had absolutely no control; the sticks did literally nothing to me, and the quad wouldn't shut off right away... What horrifies me is that the day before I flew it in a park - with people there (albeit, not a lot of people... but it still freaks me out thinking imagine if it happened there??)

Fly it during my lunch break today, and she worked perfectly.... Only concern is how long it takes GPS to connect, and why it's so difficult to achieve above 8 sat...

Thinking perhaps I need to upgrade the antennas??

Also, has anyone flown these out in the ocean before? I do a lot of deep sea fishing; by no means am I a professional photog/videog - just a hobby.. I'd love to get this flying around the boat at 120mi into the Atlantic....

Anyways, very excited for what's to come for the Solo - hopefully some updates help a lot of the GPS glitches and so forth.

Jon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44