New Solo Owner Western Colorado

Reaction score
Hello. I've been flying for about a year, all DJI. But looking at doing something other than photography, mostly to do with radio and communication. As I was looking around thinking I was going to have to build from scratch I came across the Solo. Under $200, that's cheaper than I can build (and probably a lot safer too), and it looks like there's enough information out on the web to do some hacking without a lot of hassle. Having a standard WIFI radio with known communications protocols is just fantastic!

Welcome and enjoy!
Remember, Solo is fully compatible with Mission Planner so you should check it out. Tons of interesting things you can do with MP.

First flight this afternoon. I was a little hesitant due to all the GPS horror stories but while setting up in the living room I got 8 satellites, not especially close to any windows and sitting on the floor, so why not? I got the app installed, set up wifi, and updated the firmware. Then charged the battery and remote and went for a bike ride while they charged.

When I got back I headed out to the open space. Had some issues getting the app to connect (does the phone connect to the aircraft or the remote? I thought the phone connected to the aircraft, but the remote acts like the phone connected to it). Had to toggle airplane mode and cellular data several times before it connected. Waited for GPS lock no longer than I do for my Mavic Pro and it picked up 13 satellites fairly quickly. Can I assume I have the Rev B GPS board? Flight was smooth and uneventful. Holding in a hover appeared to be about as good as the Mavic and certainly as good as the Inspire 1, although I don't have a camera and the super-wide angle on GoPros probably masks a lot of movement anyway. But I lined it up with the edge of a cloud and it stayed right in line. Tried out cable cam and orbit and they seemed to work just fine. I like how cable cam feels, it is a nice move. I can do the same thing with the I1, but not as simple. Flight time was easily 25 minutes with 30% battery remaining but again, no GoPro or 3 axis gimbal and not sending video over the link. It took me a few minutes to figure out geofencing but that's fine.

I have to say I'm impressed. I'm also no expert. But out of the box it seems about as good as DJI's products. The app is a disappointment (OS X version), but having pics show up immediately on my photos is a nice touch if I decide to get a GoPro. The real fun will start when I get time to start building a payload and experimenting. If the community upgrades are going to make it even better that's only going to be icing on the cake.

Glad to hear you had a successful first flight! Solo really is a great product, especially for the price and it is Waaay more hackable than DJI products. The GPS can be a weak spot but still very useable. Since you are experienced in flying multi-rotors just program your A button for "manual" which is really stabilize. It will just ignore the GPS in manual mode.
You might consider getting Solex if you have an Android device. Much better than the stock app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40