New Solo owner but now I am scared to death!!

Reaction score
Hi all! Mike here. I just picked up a Solo at Best Buy for a great price. I have a GoPro Hero4 Silver. The BB deal came with the Gimbal and such. Didn't do any research and come to find out there are a lot of folks that have or have had issues with these and that the company quit the consumer drone space. Now I am terrified and thinking I should return the thing before the return period expires. Are my concerns warranted or am I pushing the panic button?

This is my first drone and I have no experience so I need honest and objective mentoring here. Hope you guys and gals can help.

Mike

Hi all! Mike here. I just picked up a Solo at Best Buy for a great price. I have a GoPro Hero4 Silver. The BB deal came with the Gimbal and such. Didn't do any research and come to find out there are a lot of folks that have or have had issues with these and that the company quit the consumer drone space. Now I am terrified and thinking I should return the thing before the return period expires. Are my concerns warranted or am I pushing the panic button?

This is my first drone and I have no experience so I need honest and objective mentoring here. Hope you guys and gals can help.

Mike
You do realize that this is the Solo Forum? It's like going to a Chevy forum and ask if you should keep the Chevy you just bought or buy a Ford.

Solo is an awesome machine, with capabilities that can not be duplicated on other consumer 'drones' (I still hate using that word!)

Jubair,

I understand that. However, there is usually a guy that will shoot straight and tell you there are some issues with the Silverado, here are the major things to watch out for and here are the updates you should do immediately. Yes, it has some hiccups but it's blows an F-150 out of the water.

Just looking to ease the anxiety. Wife is worried about repair parts being available in the future.

Mike

Jubair,

I understand that. However, there is usually a guy that will shoot straight and tell you there are some issues with the Silverado, here are the major things to watch out for and here are the updates you should do immediately. Yes, it has some hiccups but it's blows an F-150 out of the water.

Just looking to ease the anxiety. Wife is worried about repair parts being available in the future.

Mike
Yes, but that same person posting that on the Ford forum would be shouted down.

I have been building and flying these for years. The Solo is an incredible machine and the VAST majority of them are flying as is without mods (like the Ford and Chevy). Someone else can not tell you if YOU will be happy with it. Take it out and fly it a few times. Then tell us how you like it. There are a great deal of first timers posting on here how they have been hooked since the first flight. Then if you decide to keep it and not return it, you can get on here and look at ways to make it even better (like the Ford and Chevy).

Based on your sig, you might find a page interesting I have of some vehicles I owned in just 1 18 month period..

Fly Safe Mike.. And Welcome..

Reactions: burma419
I am a NEW SOLO owner -- got mine around Christmas and I too had concerns because all the negative comments online. I too ALMOST took back, but something inside said too good of a deal and I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT RETURN.

This is an amazing drone even if was still above 1k but for under $500 I just don't think there could be anything better. I have 20 flights in and no real issues there were not user error. This thing is SO EASY to fly --- my first EVER quadcopter.

I have used the FOLLOW ME, CABLE & SELFIE and all work as advertised. I do recommend loading up on batteries. I like to fly for an hour or so I have 5 batteries in my bag.

Feel good ---the Solo is amazing.

Reactions: SimoB and Quinn

Mike
" I need honest and objective mentoring here. Hope you guys and gals can help."
Were all Liers, Cheats & Thives
All 7,339 Members of 3DRPilots.com

You sound like a average IQ kinda guy?
So, your first choice is usually the right one.
Yes to the panic button!
Only BAD post get the notoriety
Read most post here & your consensus should be, many people here like what they got.

Yes, but that same person posting that on the Ford forum would be shouted down.

I have been building and flying these for years. The Solo is an incredible machine and the VAST majority of them are flying as is without mods (like the Ford and Chevy). Someone else can not tell you if YOU will be happy with it. Take it out and fly it a few times. Then tell us how you like it. There are a great deal of first timers posting on here how they have been hooked since the first flight. Then if you decide to keep it and not return it, you can get on here and look at ways to make it even better (like the Ford and Chevy).

Based on your sig, you might find a page interesting I have of some vehicles I owned in just 1 18 month period..

Fly Safe Mike.. And Welcome..

Jubair,

Is that your page and your current and/or past inventory? If so, wow. No. I am not a passionate car buff. I live vicariously thru a brother in law though. His current inventory is: 1960 Vette, 1966 Vette, and a 1965 Mustang. He has the Mustang up for sale if you're interested. His daily drivers are '15 Camaro SS convertible, '16 Camaro SS convertible and a '16 Colorado 4x4. I don't have that kind of resources. This drone was a major purchase to me.

Thanks for the welcome and hope I can use you as a mentor. If components go out, I just need some reassurances that I can get the parts and replace them. I am an engineer, ham radio licensee, and a photography nut. I figure this will draw on all of those loves to make this fun.

Mike

I am a NEW SOLO owner -- got mine around Christmas and I too had concerns because all the negative comments online. I too ALMOST took back, but something inside said too good of a deal and I AM SO GLAD I DID NOT RETURN.

This is an amazing drone even if was still above 1k but for under $500 I just don't think there could be anything better. I have 20 flights in and no real issues there were not user error. This thing is SO EASY to fly --- my first EVER quadcopter.

I have used the FOLLOW ME, CABLE & SELFIE and all work as advertised. I do recommend loading up on batteries. I like to fly for an hour or so I have 5 batteries in my bag.

Feel good ---the Solo is amazing.

JB,

Glad to have feedback from a newbie. I was like you. At that price, I felt I couldn't pass it up. Hoping I got one of the good copies.

I hear you on the batteries. However, the Li-Ion cells in the housing should be standard and easy to replace if an aftermarket version isn't produced in the future. I don't really like keeping batteries topped off and rotated so I may just stick with two for now.

Mike

Last edited:
" I need honest and objective mentoring here. Hope you guys and gals can help."
Were all Liers, Cheats & Thives
All 7,339 Members of 3DRPilots.com

You sound like a average IQ kinda guy?
So, your first choice is usually the right one.
Yes to the panic button!
Only BAD post get the notoriety
Read most post here & your consensus should be, many people here like what they got.

Steve,

I didn't say or think that regarding the lying phrase you stated! Surely not everyone here is into fishing! lol

I hope I am above average in the IQ department. I think I am because my family thinks I'm nuts with some of my analysis and theories...which usually turn out to be right. They hate it when that happens too!!

This is just a large purchase for me and the window to return is limited. I just don't want to get stuck with a several hundred dollar paperweight. I was noticing that the software is open source so that is extremely encouraging.

Mike

Mike,
I just ordered my 4th Solo (yes they are that good). Mainly to have one configured for video, one for stills and one for spare parts and one for fun.
My first Pixhawk DIY drone I paid more for just the Pixhawk FC! At $300 you just can't beat the price.
The Forbes article that discussed the downfall of 3DR quoted that 100000 Solos were manufactured, so even if 3DR doesn't want to make replacement parts I'm sure someone will tap into this very lucrative market. Fly it and enjoy it! At this price they are almost disposable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jubair,

Is that your page and your current and/or past inventory? If so, wow. No. I am not a passionate car buff. I live vicariously thru a brother in law though. His current inventory is: 1960 Vette, 1966 Vette, and a 1965 Mustang. He has the Mustang up for sale if you're interested. His daily drivers are '15 Camaro SS convertible, '16 Camaro SS convertible and a '16 Colorado 4x4. I don't have that kind of resources. This drone was a major purchase to me.

Thanks for the welcome and hope I can use you as a mentor. If components go out, I just need some reassurances that I can get the parts and replace them. I am an engineer, ham radio licensee, and a photography nut. I figure this will draw on all of those loves to make this fun.

Mike
Hey Mike,

Those were cars I had that year but not at the same time. I was buying and selling high end muscle cars from home. It was crazy money. If I had a car 10 days, it was a long time! Didn't do restorations. Bought them ready to show and sold them.

Ham here as well. I wouldn't worry about getting what you need. Between BB and used, there is also a 3DR certified repair center in CA. that is selling parts as well. There are already props, motors and batteries from other manufacturers for the Solo too.

MrRagu- if you want to check the other side of the coin... look up @twitchyzero's posts on this forum. He's not necessarily objective, but he'll give you plenty to second-guess yourself about. ;)

Parts may be available for awhile, but buy just a few parts and you have well- exceeded the cost of a second Solo - which comes with another battery and another spare, somewhat vulnerable gimbal. Many here consider a second Solo, their parts Solo.

Like many on here, I have multiple Solos - two of them purchased after the Forbes' report detailing 3DR's demise.

MrRagu- if you want to check the other side of the coin... look up @twitchyzero's posts on this forum. He's not necessarily objective, but he'll give you plenty to second-guess yourself about. ;)

Parts may be available for awhile, but buy just a few parts and you have well- exceeded the cost of a second Solo - which comes with another battery and another spare, somewhat vulnerable gimbal. Many here consider a second Solo, their parts Solo.

Like many on here, I have multiple Solos - two of them purchased after the Forbes' report detailing 3DR's demise.

SARDG,

I've decided that ignorance may just be bliss. My wife is a "don't worry about it until it breaks" type of person. Maintenance costs are a challenge to talk her into (pool, yard equipment, autos), however, she has come a long way and is starting to see the value in preventative maintenance and spare parts. I see what you mean about buying a second one, but I just can't justify it. I guess I could once it breaks and I start looking at replacement part costs. I would like to read up on the gimbal issue. That thing was a PITA with the cable routing. Hoping to have my maiden flight this weekend to see what I need to tweak.

Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc