New Solo Flyer from PNW

Reaction score
Happy New Solo Flyer here. 4th of July sales were the last straw - couldn't say no anymore and picked up a Solo w/gimbal from my local Best Buy.

I've been building and flying fixed wing FPV birds for about four years and Pixhawk powered copters for one. Tons of time spent, and I'm still a brute on the sticks.

In comes the Solo - my, what a dialed in little machine. My multi flights to date have been pretty choppy and novice-styled, so getting on the sticks with the Solo for the first time today was a dream - so smooth and swooshy feeling. Only one battery, so most flying was in Fly:Manual, not really any time to play with Smart Shots. Very promising.

Just a couple snippets from flight #1:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lots of great knowledge and experience on these threads. Look forward to contributing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Yeah, lots o' wood. Come check out the Puget Sound area some time. It's a pretty and scenic coast, and stacks of drift wood like this are very common - some immense and really unique stuff. Bottom line, it's a killer place to fly.

Welcome, nice work.

I'm in Puyallup and I have one suggestion for you - paint your Solo orange (or some other bright color). Black is fine for the desert but I can't tell you how many times I lost visual when it was in front of trees. Orange is so much easier to see.

Reactions: bluesgeek
I wonder if that's from the Mt. St. Helens explosion in 1980?
Looks like a lot of stripped trees in there.
All that's long gone and you can't even tell the mountain blew, except the mountain itself looks like a boob now instead of a pointy mountain ;) That mountain blowing when I was a kid was one of the coolest events I've personally witnessed. Still have jars of ash somewhere. Wish I had Solo back then lol

Reactions: Maddog
On that subject, some fixed wing guys form WA and OR flew Mt. St. Helens a few years back. The footage is pretty alright. That landscape looks pretty unwelcoming.

Happy New Solo Flyer here. 4th of July sales were the last straw - couldn't say no anymore and picked up a Solo w/gimbal from my local Best Buy.

I've been building and flying fixed wing FPV birds for about four years and Pixhawk powered copters for one. Tons of time spent, and I'm still a brute on the sticks.

In comes the Solo - my, what a dialed in little machine. My multi flights to date have been pretty choppy and novice-styled, so getting on the sticks with the Solo for the first time today was a dream - so smooth and swooshy feeling. Only one battery, so most flying was in Fly:Manual, not really any time to play with Smart Shots. Very promising.

Just a couple snippets from flight #1:

Lots of great knowledge and experience on these threads. Look forward to contributing.

Love the Dutch angle effect on the last shot. I learned something there.

On that subject, some fixed wing guys form WA and OR flew Mt. St. Helens a few years back. The footage is pretty alright. That landscape looks pretty unwelcoming.

Which guy is you?

Welcome, nice work.

I'm in Puyallup and I have one suggestion for you - paint your Solo orange (or some other bright color). Black is fine for the desert but I can't tell you how many times I lost visual when it was in front of trees. Orange is so much easier to see.

Thanks for the tip, Ed. Yeah, since all the trees around here are pretty much no less than 150' tall, it's pretty frequent that I'm not topping out over them. Maybe not full on orange, but at least some blazes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela