New Pilot

Reaction score
This past week I've been learning how to fly, and film with the new Solo drone. It's been a big learning curve, with a few crashes usually after I was getting over confident. I think the Solo is awesome! Here's my first piece:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Gareth,

Welcome! I was looking forward to viewing your piece but the link is broken. Will look back in a bit to see if you got it corrected.

Jerry

Great stuff, really liked it! Great shot compositions. In the final shot (sunset) was that shot on auto? I guess it must have been but with my GP4 it's all a bit uncertain what the auto exposure settings will go to.

Beautiful piece Gareth! If that's your first, we're going to see some great stuff from you! I don't know how many clips I've done over the past year but not one of them comes close to what you just put together.

Jerry

Reactions: Gareth Rockliffe
This past week I've been learning how to fly, and film with the new Solo drone. It's been a big learning curve, with a few crashes usually after I was getting over confident. I think the Solo is awesome! Here's my first piece:
Very nicely done!! Good eye!!

Great stuff, really liked it! Great shot compositions. In the final shot (sunset) was that shot on auto? I guess it must have been but with my GP4 it's all a bit uncertain what the auto exposure settings will go to.
Yes it was shot on Auto. I find you have to be mindful where the GP4 is pointing, would love a graduated be filter!

Gareth, Clean transitions between pieces of video, all super and look professional!

Yes it was shot on Auto. I find you have to be mindful where the GP4 is pointing, would love a graduated be filter!
Check out Blurfix Air or PolarPro.

Graduated filters are sometimes a bit tricky on a drone, unless you really limit camera tilt. My 2 cents is to use an ND or an ND/CP, but leave gradients for post.

Check out Blurfix Air or PolarPro.

Graduated filters are sometimes a bit tricky on a drone, unless you really limit camera tilt. My 2 cents is to use an ND or an ND/CP, but leave gradients for post.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check 'en out. Do you think I would throw the gimbal off using them?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check 'en out. Do you think I would throw the gimbal off using them?
They do throw it off balance a bit. Once powered on, the gimbal motors are strong enough to compensate, but many people believe this shortens the life of the gimbal because of extra wear on the motors over time. They counter weight the gimbal with quarters or nickels to compensate (so gimbal stays balanced when powered off). I have not bothered to counter weight (yet), because I feel like the force of air friction while flying or in strong gusty winds is equal to or greater than the force these very light weight filter add.

PolarPros are lighter. I'm slowly switching to them, but I have concerns the glass isn't as high quality as Blurfix. This is not based on side by side testing... just a gut feeling. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Blurfix packaging is better - you get a tin for each filter. PolarPro sells some cases for filter storage, but they are crappy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc