New owner in Oregon

Have you checked out the posts about worthwhile upgrades? You should be ok with the stock solo for now, but honestly, I'd consider two apps at least. Solex (which has a ton more features than the 3DR app and it's constantly being updates) and Kittyhawk (which is a map service that will let you know about no fly zones, flying restrictions etc). Happy Flying!

FPVLR? Cool! Read the thread that compares the types of antenna's and how they work, will be helpful keeping a strong lock on your bird. Aye, you'll need spare batteries, I've got 8 of them and I won't lie, on a good day, I've gone through six in a row just because the opportunity was there. It's good to have enough that you can be charging while flying.

The coast! Seriously, we've got a nice coast, take full advantage of it. Go to central Oregon too, some scenic hills out that way. I sometimes head out the Vernonia way and stop off at a clear cut, that way you've a nice open area for GPS signals, no problems with taking off and then you can get some great scenic shots. Unfortunately Trojan Park is a no drone zone, pity because the place looks amazing. There's also the St Johns area, you're just on the outside of the PDX restricted fly zone and you can shoot some nice shots of the St Johns Bridge there.

Coast would seen a great choice along with Mt Hood,
Once I feel I have decent control I think exploring the old abandoned blue heron plant might be fun, as long as it does not get stuck there somehow

Just make sure it's legal to fly there, and hey, practice makes perfect, I'd find a nice open area away from people and traffic and practice some basic flight movements, then move onto using the smart shots. You'll find that multi point cable cam is very useful when it comes to automating that perfect shot.

Down the road I'd also look at getting the polar pro lights and some different colored props from Master Air Screw, can really help you keep track of your drones orientation in the sky. Good luck, have fun and make sure you post some photo's and video's!

Can I use Solex totally alone or so I need the Solo app installed as well?
You can use the Solex app by itself. It really is much much better than the 3DR app. If your solo is brand new in box, you may need to install the 3DR app to update the software and the controller. If it's not brand new, then just use Solex.

First 3dr is set to arrive this weekend, cannot wait!
Enjoy it man!..I love mine,..read the FAQ section here it will help a lot..basically just read thru the whole forum..it's packed full of great tips and info and ppl here are glad to help with any questions you may have,its a nice place.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377