New owner from the UK

Reaction score
Hi,
I used to do RC racing and had a Losi XX and a Mardave Mini. (They are still in the loft somewhere). Being a beginner I soon realised the I enjoyed the indoor racing with the mini more then the Losi, probably because I was more competitive, or rather the buggy drivers were too good.

I bought my first helicopter a few years ago and practiced with it in the garden, always trying to keep it facing away from me to make it easier to fly. After a few goes I got a bit better and decided to take it up a bit. As soon as I went above fence level the wind took it and it was gone. I found it in next my next door neighbours garden smack in the middle of his pond looking like a disaster scene from Thunderbirds. That was the end of that. Then I bought an indoor Hubsan quad and due to the enjoyment flying this I fancied something better.

I bought a second hand Parrot AR Drone, but never really got on with it. Too much draught in limited space indoors so I was always flipping it and a bit too flighty outdoors, it always seems to be windy here.

I still wanted something better and always fancied a DJI Phantom. It wasn't until the excellent prices on the 3DR Solo that I decided now was the time. I looked for the best prices and got the 3DR from eBay.com, the Gimbal from Amazon.com and a GoPro Hero 4 Black from eBay.co.uk

After flying it once I realised that his was the one for me and started to think about spares. Motors, blades and batteries etc are quite expensive and so is delivery from the USA, so I ordered another new Solo complete with spare battery and backpack from eBay.com and another Gimbal from Amazon.com

My son can use the spare if he wants and if either of us wrecks one it can do as spares for the other if we can't get spares later on.

Apologies for the long post, I have a few questions which I will post later in the relevant forum

Regards

Graham

Reactions: Acroduster
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the 3DRPilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in 3DR quadcopter’s.
Enjoy!

Reactions: gn1000
Hi,
I used to do RC racing and had a Losi XX and a Mardave Mini. (They are still in the loft somewhere). Being a beginner I soon realised the I enjoyed the indoor racing with the mini more then the Losi, probably because I was more competitive, or rather the buggy drivers were too good.

I bought my first helicopter a few years ago and practiced with it in the garden, always trying to keep it facing away from me to make it easier to fly. After a few goes I got a bit better and decided to take it up a bit. As soon as I went above fence level the wind took it and it was gone. I found it in next my next door neighbours garden smack in the middle of his pond looking like a disaster scene from Thunderbirds. That was the end of that. Then I bought an indoor Hubsan quad and due to the enjoyment flying this I fancied something better.

I bought a second hand Parrot AR Drone, but never really got on with it. Too much draught in limited space indoors so I was always flipping it and a bit too flighty outdoors, it always seems to be windy here.

I still wanted something better and always fancied a DJI Phantom. It wasn't until the excellent prices on the 3DR Solo that I decided now was the time. I looked for the best prices and got the 3DR from eBay.com, the Gimbal from Amazon.com and a GoPro Hero 4 Black from eBay.co.uk

After flying it once I realised that his was the one for me and started to think about spares. Motors, blades and batteries etc are quite expensive and so is delivery from the USA, so I ordered another new Solo complete with spare battery and backpack from eBay.com and another Gimbal from Amazon.com

My son can use the spare if he wants and if either of us wrecks one it can do as spares for the other if we can't get spares later on.

Apologies for the long post, I have a few questions which I will post later in the relevant forum

Regards

Graham

Welcome my friend :)

Reactions: gn1000
Thanks for all the replies. I have been reading a lot of posts to learn more about the Solo and see if there are any answers to some queries I have before posting for some advice

Regards

Graham

Hey Graham, I am located in Denmark and I too want to get the great 3DR prices from the US. How did you manage to get one shipped to the UK without having to pay heavy taxes?

Hi Kluulz,
I paid duties up front. It was still about £200 pound less than I could buy for here. I bought one that was open to offers and had an offer accepted

Regards

Graham

Reactions: kluulz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela