New gimbal

Reaction score
I haven't found anything showing it has been done already so I am going forward if anyone would be interested let me know. I am in the process of modding a tarot t3 gimbal to be used in the solo with a gopro session 5. I want to cut down as much weight and power consumption as possible so we could get the better flight times while still being capable of using a gimbal. It is going to have the same functionality as the hero 4 3dr gimbal. I will have Bluetooth assisting in data/video transfer to the solo. The problem right now is doing this and keeping the low weight and power benefits. This will make it possible to use any camera and gimbal for the solo.

I haven't found anything showing it has been done already so I am going forward if anyone would be interested let me know. I am in the process of modding a tarot t3 gimbal to be used in the solo with a gopro session 5. I want to cut down as much weight and power consumption as possible so we could get the better flight times while still being capable of using a gimbal. It is going to have the same functionality as the hero 4 3dr gimbal. I will have Bluetooth assisting in data/video transfer to the solo. The problem right now is doing this and keeping the low weight and power benefits. This will make it possible to use any camera and gimbal for the solo.
There were several people doing this back i 2015 before the Solo gimbal shipped. Here are some of the links including a #D printed mount available. Good luck with you project. You know it won't have the function of the Solo gimbal in Smart Shots, right? It will just be stabilization for the camera. You will have to control tilt.

Here is a solo with a tarot gimbal on it "Note Not my Video"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is my setup although its not a Tarot or Gopro session, It works quite well, The 3D Gimbal cost me around $60.00 shipped and it has a Storm32 controller that talks to the solo via mavlink and grabs power from the solo as well as an HDMI video feed. I've had the Sony AS100V for a while and it works to my liking for now, I'm using this setup until I purchase a GPH4B..

Attachments

• IMG_20170125_152607.jpg
    IMG_20170125_152607.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20170125_152541.jpg
    IMG_20170125_152541.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20170125_152502.jpg
    IMG_20170125_152502.jpg
    937.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20170125_152511.jpg
    IMG_20170125_152511.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
There were several people doing this back i 2015 before the Solo gimbal shipped. Here are some of the links including a #D printed mount available. Good luck with you project. You know it won't have the function of the Solo gimbal in Smart Shots, right? It will just be stabilization for the camera. You will have to control tilt.

The way I'm doing it the gimbal should also have smart shots I'm stripping down the brain from a 3dr gimbal and cloning it so as far as the solo and it's app will know ,it will be the oem gimbal. This is something everyone has wanted if everything goes right and I could make the pcb light enough this will make it possible to use any gimbal with smart shot functions.

Reactions: yarrr
The way I'm doing it the gimbal should also have smart shots I'm stripping down the brain from a 3dr gimbal and cloning it so as far as the solo and it's app will know ,it will be the oem gimbal. This is something everyone has wanted if everything goes right and I could make the pcb light enough this will make it possible to use any gimbal with smart shot functions.

That would be a step in the right direction, I wish you the best on your endeavor! Be sure to keep us posted.

Anyone try to find the pinouts of the Solo gimbal to see if it can be made comparable with the hero 5?

Anyone try to find the pinouts of the Solo gimbal to see if it can be made comparable with the hero 5?

Compatible with what?
The Hero5 doesn't have a Hero bus in the back like the previous models did.

Part of the "Hero5 is waterproof to 10meters naked" design

Last edited:
Go Pro seems lost to me. They went to a touch screen display on the back of the 4 silver, a different battery, so you can't use the batteries you bought for the older models, 4 black, no touch screen, now the 5, which seems totally different, and dropping the other models. What a mess. I currently own a 3 silver, a 3+, a 4 silver, and a 4 black. I think I'm done.

Reactions: 3dRich007

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986