New Florida Law Eff. 07/01/15 Bans Recording Drones

Reaction score
We all know the basic rules of lawful operation of Solo. Not within 5 miles of an airport, remain in LOS, no higher than 400 ft. Don't fly over stadiums or people, etc...

As of July 1st we now have a, out flying in public, law in place that basically states an operator cannot record any private property or person on that property that has an expectation to privacy.The expectation to privacy is defined as the expectation one would have while on the ground, and not within view of others on the ground around that property.

For what it's worth I thought I'd share this with fellow Solo pilots here to pass along to the multi-rotor community of how quickly laws are being written and passed to limit 'drone' usage as this industry continues to grow. It's important that we keep ourselves, and each other, up to date on these laws as they come up in each state as we move forward to avoid any criminal or civil violation charges down the road. More of such laws are on the table and it's just a matter of time before each state passes them and adds more teeth to them, and so on.
The final draft of this law as passed basically states:
1. A 'drone' (as defined in the body of the law), being operated in an area by a pilot who is recording the flight, flies over any private property and records said property and persons within that property, is in violation of this law if those persons had an expectation to privacy, and the violation results in financial damages.

-Basically, the 'violated' person can civilly sue the pilot.
-There are no criminal charges attached, unless unauthorized surveillance of a particular person or property is being done by and investigative entity, government, law enforcement, or otherwise.
-Pilot would be responsible for court costs, attorney fees, and financial damages.

I've read the actual law, and as it sits right now the plaintiff has the burden of proof of how he/it actually suffered financial damage. I imagine if you had photo shoot, for example, taking place in your backyard studio and the 'drone's' presence somehow interfered with shoot, maybe you can cause problems for the pilot and cost him a little money if the court favors your 'loss'.

Anyway, check out the articles with video below. One homeowner videoed an Aspire hoving in their backyard videoing them! Most all of us know better, but the media loves to make a few incidents look like a widespread epidemic. So be constantly mindful of your surroundings while flying, there are many that are really paranoid about all these cameras flying around above them. Ultimately, I can see (non 333) 'drones' being banned to designated RC flying parks, taking sweet gimballed videos of trees and bushes.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/ne...s-drone-pictures-on-private-property/33038174

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2015/06/30/new-drone-laws-flying-into-florida/29546665/

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2015/0766

Last edited:
So if I have a flying wing that I'm using for FPV and I fly over your property I'm good then. See, the problem with a lot of these "control my behavior" statue's/laws is they are open to interpretation.

So if I have a flying wing that I'm using for FPV and I fly over your property I'm good then. See, the problem with a lot of these "control my behavior" statue's/laws is they are open to interpretation.
If you're just using it for FPV and not recording anyone where they have an expectation to privacy, you're good... as it's written today.... in Florida, I haven't compared to other state laws. I think they are just trying to get people to respect other people's privacy and hopefully deter vehicles from swooping into other people's backyards. These laws will inevitably grow more teeth as more idiots continue to rack up the irresponsible incidents.

If you're just using it for FPV and not recording anyone where they have an expectation to privacy, you're good... as it's written today.... in Florida, I haven't compared to other state laws. I think they are just trying to get people to respect other people's privacy and hopefully deter vehicles from swooping into other people's backyards. These laws will inevitably grow more teeth as more idiots continue to rack up the irresponsible incidents.

Ah, but how will they know if I'm recording? To the average person if a RC plane or multi-rotor has a camera (i.e., Go Pro, Mobius, etc) then they will assume it is a recording device and may call the police.

The police come and then I have to show them that I was not recording?

I think the key statement is "the violation results in financial damages". This could be invoked if a Paparazzi were to publish nude photos, or the National Inquirer were to use a done and defame someone, or if a PI were to get "the goods" on someone using a drone..

In those cases, the "recording" aspect wouldn't be in question, as the recording is the major issue. It would be very nearly impossible however for someone in a normal situation to show damages of anyone just recording as they went by, and so it would be exeedingly difficult to bring charges on someone for just flying over a neighborhood.

My 2 cents

Reactions: RichWest
The police come and then I have to show them that I was not recording?
The police should not have to be involved themselves because it is a civil matter, they can help keep the peace while all 'upset' parties are present, tell you your options, and then they should leave, (unless a crime was committed in the process).

I am assuming here, but if the plaintiff videos you violating their expectation to privacy and your camera is mounted, (and a record light on?), their attorney could subpoena you and your drone/ camera. So just a take a blank micro SD card with you ;) Even still, they have the burden of proof there was some sort of financial damage as a result of your 'intrusion'.

These laws are in infantile stages, they will grow teeth eventually.

Last edited:
"I have a gun and I'm not afraid to use it" ... Why are we paying attention to this? The media clings to whatever they can sensationalize... "Oh my God, imagine if there was a gun on it?" ...

Oh my GOSH .. imagine if it had a big purple dildo and a Confederate flag on it ... Like we could offend so many people with this story o_O

OK ... rant over. This is good intel. We are clearly faced with morons - media, rouge drone pilots and politicians ... Does anyone know when SkyNet will go live?

on one of the Sons of Guns show they had a Drone with a Pistol attached to it and they were shooting the gun from the tx that they were holding on the ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela