Never flown....Magnetic Interference warnings

Reaction score
New to the board and new to the Solo, purchased new about 2 weeks ago from B&H Photo.
Has never turned a prop due to "Magnetic Interference" warnings straight out of the box.
Check list:
-Everything is charged up
-All available software updates are installed
-Running app from iOS, fully closing app (by swiping up) and restarting app properly
-Have successfully "Level Calibration" three times
-Have UNSUCCESSFULLY "Compass Calibration" 7 times
-"Compass Calibration" was attempted in my 145' by 100' front yard, 40' away from my ranch style home on crawl space - Front hard has a creek on the east side lined with smaller elm trees, yard does include one 60' Magnolia and one 125' Cottonwood tree.
- Removed battery tray to make sure compass antenna is plugged in.
- Did submit a ticket to 3dr at 12;30pm EST today, have not received a reply (after reading this board, I'm not expecting any support from 3dr)
- I have purchased a replacement #04 leg with Compass antenna from B&H, arriving on Wednesday night

If its not on this list, I have not done it. Any suggestion for a newbie?

As a retired Indycar mechanic, I hate shotgunning parts at problems, but felt purchasing a new compass antenna might be a good start. Have gone through a number of older posts, some of them are a little over my head....

Thank you for your time.

New to the board and new to the Solo, purchased new about 2 weeks ago from B&H Photo.
Has never turned a prop due to "Magnetic Interference" warnings straight out of the box.
Check list:
-Everything is charged up
-All available software updates are installed
-Running app from iOS, fully closing app (by swiping up) and restarting app properly
-Have successfully "Level Calibration" three times
-Have UNSUCCESSFULLY "Compass Calibration" 7 times
-"Compass Calibration" was attempted in my 145' by 100' front yard, 40' away from my ranch style home on crawl space - Front hard has a creek on the east side lined with smaller elm trees, yard does include one 60' Magnolia and one 125' Cottonwood tree.
- Removed battery tray to make sure compass antenna is plugged in.
- Did submit a ticket to 3dr at 12;30pm EST today, have not received a reply (after reading this board, I'm not expecting any support from 3dr)
- I have purchased a replacement #04 leg with Compass antenna from B&H, arriving on Wednesday night

If its not on this list, I have not done it. Any suggestion for a newbie?

As a retired Indycar mechanic, I hate shotgunning parts at problems, but felt purchasing a new compass antenna might be a good start. Have gone through a number of older posts, some of them are a little over my head....

Thank you for your time.
The only time I have gotten a "Magnetic Interference" was when I was launching the Solo from one of those giant wire spools. They are held together by 4 giant bolts and the leg was resting right on one of the bolts, so the metal was causing a compass problem. So unless you have a yard full of loose bolts, car parts, or you're trying to lift off from a folding metal table, I'd say you're doing the right thing by replacing #04 leg.

You could also try doing a factory reset on your drone, just in case there is corruption of the software (not likely, but possible and it's free). Let us know what happens when the replacement leg arrives, whether or not that fixes the problem.

I had to send a solo back to B&H and they were great even paid my return postage, give them a call.

Sending it back to B&H was the right move if it was new.
Some people have reported that setting the parameter SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 in Tower, saving and rebooting helps clear compass errors because it clears all previous data (a factory reset apparently does not).
If all attempts to calibrate fail or compass calibrations don't hold, one of your compasses is probably flaky. It could be the external compass (in the leg) or it could be an internal compass in the Pixhawk cube. If you have Mission Planner you can look at the compass data in real time and see which compass is erratic. The external compass leg is easy to replace. If your internal compass is whacked, I believe you need to replace the Pixhawk cube. That's a little more work and a lot more expensive unless you can find a good used one.

Probably have to send it back.
But I would also try recalibrating it in some other open field somewhere away from where you have been trying it.
Just to rule out an underground pipe or wire or something interfering with it where you already tried it.

Wow I've taken off fron an iron street manhole cover and not had that problem!

I get that error/issue a lot indoors while testing with the props off.
I have to move it around to find a spot where it goes away.

I bought a spare for parts, when I got it l set it up to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it and it said magnetic interference. Changed the compass leg and it works fine. New leg from B&H was 13.95 .

Reactions: IrishmanPDX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela