My SOLO is lost

Reaction score
Ok today was a great day as I got my Micropro case for the Solo but then I went out flying about 7:30 at a buddies house. The solo was about 25' above the tree line as zoom past it. The solo app crashed around the same time I lost VOS. o fret as I told the others "watch this" as I hit the return to home button. Finally as the app came alive I see a vision of the soy been field. I could only get the controller to contact once briefly and did not get the distance reading. The camera was upright sitting in the bean field. Drove back home to get my P2V+ which wasn't much help as I keep the batteries at 30%. I'm planning on going out in the morning and fly the fields with the P2V+

Now here is the question. Does the controller carry any flight logs? I'm looking for the last GPS cord when it was connected. My app was dead when it went down but I want to make sure I get it back.

Burke

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
Ok today was a great day as I got my Micropro case for the Solo but then I went out flying about 7:30 at a buddies house. The solo was about 25' above the tree line as zoom past it. The solo app crashed around the same time I lost VOS. o fret as I told the others "watch this" as I hit the return to home button. Finally as the app came alive I see a vision of the soy been field. I could only get the controller to contact once briefly and did not get the distance reading. The camera was upright sitting in the bean field. Drove back home to get my P2V+ which wasn't much help as I keep the batteries at 30%. I'm planning on going out in the morning and fly the fields with the P2V+

Now here is the question. Does the controller carry any flight logs? I'm looking for the last GPS cord when it was connected. My app was dead when it went down but I want to make sure I get it back.

Burke
Well it should have had an auto rth after it lost connection.
Unless it also lost GPS. Then it would land.
The controller will have the logs. When you say camera up, do u mean normal landed upright or crashed?

It landed up right - like a non gps auto land. It did say returning.

How do we retrieve data from the controller. I've only been able to see data when the controller was connected to the solo

Yes!! It has your flight logs and given it landed you should be able to get close.

The fastest way to get at them is to connect your tablet to the Internet. Start a ticket from the solo app, but instead of emailing them your logs, send them to yourself. It will be a zip file. Unzip the files and make sure you have one that ends in .tlog. That is your latest flight.

Get Mission Planner software (at 3DR site) and install it on PC. Then double click the tlog file to open it in the software. On the left side (middle of the screen) click the telemetry tab. You can then "play" back the flight and it will show you where it thinks it went visually on Google mapscascwell as give the GPS coordinates.

If your tablet has GPS you can open google maps on the same device and travel to that spot using your tablet. If you have android you can open the log files right from the Tower app, but Mission Planner is better.

If you got buy in, you might also get someone here to look at them. There is much more but these are the "fastest" ways to get you the best available intel on you bird so you can get it. After that you can bone up on Mission Planner and Tower

Last edited:

Burke
Your tablet has the logs as well. If you can connect to Mission planner and upload your logs you can simulate the flight and look at all the parameters as well.
If it disconnected, you may be missing some critical parts of the track but at least you could tell what happened prior to it taking off.
I can't remember where, but there are some folders on you device that keep every log on every flight.....unless you have reset your device since you have been flying the Solo.

Reactions: Burkeam
I'd certainly go get it tonight if possible. Draw a line from last location to home point.

In Mission Planner it should show you Solo's track up to the point where you lost connection. Go from there!

Also go ahead and send the logs to 3dr. It should not have lost control with app crash. Nor should it have kept going and certainly should not have lost gps also.

At least you know generally where it is. Yes, as Chris says, submit your logs,

Definitely keep us posted on how things work out for ya and what worked best aiding you recovering it. Sorry to hear this happened but if it landed upright with the logs you shouldn't have much trouble finding it. good luck

Troy at atx was saying in his range testing he had telemetry and video recording on his device after the connection and stream quit so maybe a feature to cut early, if so your logs should have nearly an exact spot where it is. Don't mean this caused your issue just that it may help you find it if it's true, definitley sounds like a problem gps or otherwise.

If you post the logs here, several people can also tell you at least what the bird was "thinking" up until it lost connection. If/when you get the bird, you can also get the log files from it and see what it was think after the lost connection. This will tell you what it did and why. It could be something you don't expect...

Sweet. I got the log of where it is in the field but nothing from the flight. I did mess up. When I was able to reconnect for about 30 second and saw the camera feed, I started the motor so I could hear it. I believe this is the log file It have. Never the less got the GPS cord plugged into the phone and have two charged batteries for the P2V+ for a AM rescue flight.
Make note to self. Save the log file ASAP or send support ticket. 2. If able to reconnect just look at the distance from home.

Let me get it in my hands and I will keep everyone posted. Half tempted to go tonight but as it is pouring rain.

Sweet. I got the log of where it is in the field but nothing from the flight. I did mess up. When I was able to reconnect for about 30 second and saw the camera feed, I started the motor so I could hear it. I believe this is the log file It have. Never the less got the GPS cord plugged into the phone and have two charged batteries for the P2V+ for a AM rescue flight.
Make note to self. Save the log file ASAP or send support ticket. 2. If able to reconnect just look at the distance from home.

Let me get it in my hands and I will keep everyone posted. Half tempted to go tonight but as it is pouring rain.

Check the other files it's your last 3 flights logged I'm pretty sure.

Check the other files it's your last 3 flights logged I'm pretty sure.
Starting it wasn't a bad thing, as it gave you the real cords. Many files/flights are saved on the tablet in addition to being on the Solo, so you haven't lost anything. The app just "sends" the last three, and it is a quick way to get them without hunting, transferring etc. another handy option is to send to Dropbox within the app. If you use that, you can just drop them there, and when you connect your tablet to the Internet ... Viola! they show up in Dropbox on your Mission Planner PC.

Yes. There are 3 tlog files in the zip. The other two have the wrong extention, and so you will have to rename the other two. Rename the two larger of the files to end in .tlog so you end up with three files there with names something like Solo1.tlog, Solo2.tlog, Solo3.tlog. These will be your last three flights, at least from the controller perspective.

PS: Very best of luck getting it back. If it is wet, you might consider taking it apart (at least to some degree) and placing the components in a very large bag of rice for a couple days (Costco has them).

The wifi mod video on this site will show you how to disassemble it if needed.

Reactions: Burkeam
I did get it back. Right where the log last GPS cord were. plugged them into my phone and walk right to it. Undamaged but wet from the rain. Took it apart, blew excess with compressed air and have it sitting in the morning sun. I'll coat it with CrorrisionX before assembly. Worked great on my P2V+ after a swim.The battery shut off and still has 80%. Thanks Earldgrayjr on the log naming. I mess with the other two log now. Curious to see why she landed on me and not return to home.

Even with my 1st glitch/malfunction still love the SOLO.

OK here are the three logs from the controller. Quickly messing around with them I do not see my flight which started/home from my friend house just east on the map. I notice one of the log show home in the middle of the field? Does the solo carry more then 3 logs as It appears these are telling nothing about incident.

Attachments

• support_logs.zip
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
Even though these Solo's are fairly new. I'm very close to swapping the wireless cards in the bird and the controller. I haven't been doing any real world simulations with the type of shots that I will actually be doing, mostly open field and maneuver control practicing. I will use Solo for closer proximity stuff than I use my I1 for and to think the wireless card is relatively weak very troublesome.

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
I did get it back. Right where the log last GPS cord were. plugged them into my phone and walk right to it. Undamaged but wet from the rain. Took it apart, blew excess with compressed air and have it sitting in the morning sun. I'll coat it with CrorrisionX before assembly. Worked great on my P2V+ after a swim.The battery shut off and still has 80%. Thanks Earldgrayjr on the log naming. I mess with the other two log now. Curious to see why she landed on me and not return to home.

Even with my 1st glitch/malfunction still love the SOLO.
Great!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anomaly.Filmworks