My First Crash

Reaction score
Hi All, I had my first crash yesterday which scarred the crap out if me at the time as I thought I would be up for some expensive repairs. I flew my drone of my deck (in hindsight probably is not big enough for a launch platform) and had a very successful take off and flight, however, things went down hill during my landing, just as I was about to land I let the drone hold hover for a few seconds to prepare for the final touchdown. As I did this the drone slowly drifted towards the side fence, in a moment of panick I attempted to avoid the fence but did not realise the drone was facing me so the control was reversed and I flew it into the fence with great force. It looked quite spectacular as all props exploded on impact and the drone hit the deck still trying to regain flight. I can confidently say Solo can take a good knock, the damage I sustained was 3 broken props and a small scratch to the hull, I also needed some tools to remove 2 props as they jammed in place. Although a little shaken, I did a quick inspect and repair, donned my spare props and immediately took to the sky, from the safety of the front yard this time, and not my deck! Just felt like sharing, cheers.

Glad there wasn't more damage. When I have to take off or land in a really tight spot I try to always remember to face the UAV away from me. Even though I am somewhat proficient with flying in any attitude that split second of wrong stick input can lead to trouble and has resulted in some close calls.

A deck should be big enough if you face it away from you. I sometimes fly and land off the bed cover of my pickup.

Reactions: KrisTheAJ
Is this an example of Solo's tendency to easily lose GPS when flying near structures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all gps will get sketchy near objects
the OP said it happened because of the orientation and reversed controls, so I would attribute to that.

Just a tip
I land on a 42 inch circular pad, what I have found helps is to bring solo close to land and reorient it away from me for final landing tweaks, works better

Reactions: Benzo
all gps will get sketchy near objects
the OP said it happened because of the orientation and reversed controls, so I would attribute to that.

Just a tip
I land on a 42 inch circular pad, what I have found helps is to bring solo close to land and reorient it away from me for final landing tweaks, works better
Arghhh, spot on mate, this was pure inexperienced flying on my behalf, no fault of the drone or drone fundamentals. A good pilot must never panick, many propellers are at stake!

Arghhh, spot on mate, this was pure inexperienced flying on my behalf, no fault of the drone or drone fundamentals. A good pilot must never panick, many propellers are at stake!
In any situation where there are objects/buildings close by, it is best to always use manual mode so that you can eliminate any surprises. Of course you will always need to be mindful of orientation as well and it should be part of your practice routine.

Reactions: Acroduster
Please take a look at this video of a drone flying up between 2 buildings, 5 story on the left and 8 story on the right. Would a Solo be able to do this in GPS mode?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Please take a look at this video of a drone flying up between 2 buildings, 5 story on the left and 8 story on the right. Would a Solo be able to do this in GPS mode?

At times maybe at other time maybe not. The number of satellites visible to the Solo and their position in the sky is constantly changing.

It could work at one point and not three hours later.

Reactions: ChrisBird
Hi All, I had my first crash yesterday which scarred the crap out if me at the time as I thought I would be up for some expensive repairs. I flew my drone of my deck (in hindsight probably is not big enough for a launch platform) and had a very successful take off and flight, however, things went down hill during my landing, just as I was about to land I let the drone hold hover for a few seconds to prepare for the final touchdown. As I did this the drone slowly drifted towards the side fence, in a moment of panick I attempted to avoid the fence but did not realise the drone was facing me so the control was reversed and I flew it into the fence with great force. It looked quite spectacular as all props exploded on impact and the drone hit the deck still trying to regain flight. I can confidently say Solo can take a good knock, the damage I sustained was 3 broken props and a small scratch to the hull, I also needed some tools to remove 2 props as they jammed in place. Although a little shaken, I did a quick inspect and repair, donned my spare props and immediately took to the sky, from the safety of the front yard this time, and not my deck! Just felt like sharing, cheers.
Kris, sorry about your Solo but thanks for sharing. That's how we learn!

Reactions: Benzo

I wouldn't try that in GPS mode

How about this in GPS mode?

How about this in GPS mode?

Are you trying to make a point? For obvious reasons, personally I wouldn't fly my Solo in between structures relying on GPS.

Reactions: Scientific11
I'm only trying to understand the technological limits of each UAV in order to avoid potential mishaps. Each has their own unique capabilities.

Reactions: Solo Keith
On any given day, no one can forecast your individual GPS reception. You may fly it today with no problems, and unable to do the same flight the next day with any given drone.

good to share.. we will watch out.. thanks

I think it's been made explicitly clear for you. Rewording the question and posting a different video is not going to change the answer. Surrounding buildings, terrain, and vegetation may render the GPS inaccurate or disabled. Relying on it, without being able to safely control the aircraft in manual, will usually result in a crash that is 100% avoidable and your own fault. This applies to ANY aircraft with a GPS. Not just solo. End of story.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela