My drone purrs like a kitten until ?

Reaction score
So today i did a level and compass calibration on my drone and noticed that with the stock cheap stationary gimbal and go pro mounted it purred like a kitten, with no leg shake ,it was so smooth i couldn't believe it ! , it was floating almost perfectly still, so i tried something because this drone always has huge leg shakes' , put the expensive gimbal on tried it ,wow what a huge difference with the good gimbal, that gimbal was shaking petty bad and the legs had the shakes to, i believe it is due to the extra weight of the gimbal that it unbalances the drone, has anybody tried adding weight to the back of the drone to balance the drone and see if it shakes less ?

I put 3oz of lead weight off a mount, basically a live weight damper. It did perform very well in reducing the shimmy shake. But it cut flight times down, it was just an experiment for knowledge.

The gimbal is basically the same thing, a live weight. So you are going to see it move more as the motors compensate for it's movements. Actually working as designed.

You need to address the source of the vibration if it's a problem. Prop and motor balancing is a productive effort.

I put 3oz of lead weight off a mount, basically a live weight damper. It did perform very well in reducing the shimmy shake. But it cut flight times down, it was just an experiment for knowledge.

The gimbal is basically the same thing, a live weight. So you are going to see it move more as the motors compensate for it's movements. Actually working as designed.

You need to address the source of the vibration if it's a problem. Prop and motor balancing is a productive effort.
I agree- adding weight should not be done to fix vibration problems. Your just treating a symptom- not the "disease".
What is this expensive gimbal you mention and what makes it better?

I have noticed solo do that weird shake a couple times. usually landing power cycle fixes it

Maddog your correct weight should not be used to treat a symptom , but your misunderstanding me , my solo has no shake when I use my stock gimble but when I use the stabilized gimble, it shakes due to the weight,it adds 10.5 oz to the front ,so I’m thinking the motors are compensating some how causing shake ,I’m trying to see if having a balanced load on the copter will stabilize it and not vibrate as much [emoji3]

The battery is your counter balance weight, the bird is fairly centered front to back as dead weight with gimbal.

The bulk of the gimbal weight is floating on the four isolators. Which makes the gimbal/camera a live weight constantly moving while in flight, as it was designed. The bird will appear to move more with gimbal than with the static mount.

The static mount isolators are actually smaller and firmer....and holding up 2/3 less weight. It doesn't move much.

So the weather was nice today so i decided to experiment ,25 degrees and a little snow, but sunny, i have a drone that tends to have some leg shake and gimbal shake ,the props are balanced, so i put a little weight on the legs ,i have some slinkys i use for fishing made with lead inside a sock basically ,i put one ounce on each leg and i feel like it made a big difference ,the drone is more stable less leg shake and in turn less gimbal shake ,video came out pretty nice, and clear ,peace out my drone friends .

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea