Misty Morning

Reaction score
I was able to get some shots of low fog that settled in a small valley yesterday at sunrise. It burns off so quick, two batteries and it's pretty much gone.

I used a graduated Polar Pro filter to cut down the brightness of the sun/sky without loosing detail on the ground. A little tweaking in After Effects helped enhance both ground and sky.

Here's the results, would love to get some overall feedback.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
The lake here looked like that this morning too! Except instead of getting going out with the drone, I went back to bed.

Reactions: SARDG
I was able to get some shots of low fog that settled in a small valley yesterday at sunrise. It burns off so quick, two batteries and it's pretty much gone.

I used a graduated Polar Pro filter to cut down the brightness of the sun/sky without loosing detail on the ground. A little tweaking in After Effects helped enhance both ground and sky.

Here's the results, would love to get some overall feedback.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice...Nice n slow....

The lake here looked like that this morning too! Except instead of getting going out with the drone, I went back to bed.

Ha! Yea, I am definitely not a morning person, but that's the only time this fog/clouds settle in the valleys, and the lighting is nice so I've been getting up at the crack of dawn, looking out the window, and if it looks good, I go fly. If not, I go back to bed!

Great video. How did you manage to keep moisture from accumulating on your camera lens?

Thanks, I didn't do anything in particular. I was mostly above it on these flights, but I've flown through it previously and never noticed any condensation. It's thinner than it looks, I think the sun back lighting it makes it stand out, when you look back the other way, it appears much thinner.

Nice...Nice n slow....

Thanks, I'm still getting the feel for the "right" speed - not too slow, not too fast. This seemed about right, and I just try to keep it as smooth as possible.

Very nice. I have been waiting for another one of those mornings here. I don't have a choice about mornings since I start work before the sun is up. The last time we had nice low fog like that the drone was at home. Now one stays at home and the other ones home is my office. I won't miss it again. I'm just dying to get a nice orbit around the flag pin poking out of the fog on one of the greens.

Ha! Yea, I am definitely not a morning person, but that's the only time this fog/clouds settle in the valleys, and the lighting is nice so I've been getting up at the crack of dawn, looking out the window, and if it looks good, I go fly. If not, I go back to bed!

Thanks, I didn't do anything in particular. I was mostly above it on these flights, but I've flown through it previously and never noticed any condensation. It's thinner than it looks, I think the sun back lighting it makes it stand out, when you look back the other way, it appears much thinner.

Thanks, I'm still getting the feel for the "right" speed - not too slow, not too fast. This seemed about right, and I just try to keep it as smooth as possible.

Wow that video was amazing!
Love it! Very poetic.

I am new Solo owner and having lot of fun with it.
How did you manage to make the video so smooth and slow? Did you used Zipline mode or the clouds moved by itself during sideway mouvement? During the shot view from angle right turned to left of the sun, did you just use the controler's left stick very smoothly or use Cable Cam mode?

Thanks for sharing

How did you manage to make the video so smooth and slow? Did you used Zipline mode or the clouds moved by itself during sideway mouvement? During the shot view from angle right turned to left of the sun, did you just use the controler's left stick very smoothly or use Cable Cam mode?

Thanks, glad you liked it. It was all just flying manual, no smart shots involved. Calm morning, no wind and just really smooth on the sticks. The mist/clouds were moving very slowly, but the movement you see in the clips was all the Solo moving laterally.

It sound funny, but I practice inside with a little Blade Inductrix, just doing orbits and slow panning like that. Both sticks in to the center or out to the outside will do orbits in either clockwise or counter clockwise directions. It just takes fine adjustments to get the horizontal movement and the yaw synced so you do a nice orbit. Once you can do a nice orbit in a 10 x 10 room, doing one outside in the big blue is easy, and especially like in these clips where I'm not really focused on keeping anything directly in the center... just more of a lazy sort of panning orbit :p

I love the halo effect of the sun in your shots.

Thank for your reply and advice.

My drone has been abrupt when starting a new directional mouvement. I guess I have to be more smooth and cut off video part of the starting of the movements.

Oh yes indeed, that is a great idea to practice controls by playing with a mini Quadcopter indoor. It's more forgiving when crash and to learn some new reflexes (like flying with front facing towards you). I enjoy practicing with my Air Hog Star Trek USS Enterprise drone (lot of fun if you're a Star Trek fan) and my Holy Stone HS170
And outdoor, those toys react differently with the wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo