Martin Farms - 3DR Solo (OpenSolo v3.0.0) [GoPro Hero4 Black]

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Testing out my new GoPro Hero4 Black on my 3DR Solo, trying to get a hang of the manual cinematic style of flying before I attempt any of the SmartShots.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video Source: GoPro Hero4 Black
Audio Source: Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz [Plastic Beach - 2010]
Video Editing: Serif MoviePlus X6
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like you’ve mastered it nicely. It would be cool if you could do a piece that shows the whole farming process from field to table. Show today’s children that their fruits and vegetables don’t actually come from the grocery store- and how hard farmers work to keep the world fed.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
Hey David-
Can you just change out the lens on a gopro Hero 4? I was looking at the Ribcage Backbone- You have to transfer your gopro internals into it- it’s $199 but then there are an assortment of lens you can utilize- none of them are inexpensive though.

Saijin-
Is that your daughter on the roof / hood of your truck? You gotta be the cool dad in the neighborhood if so-

Hey David-
Can you just change out the lens on a gopro Hero 4? I was looking at the Ribcage Backbone- You have to transfer your gopro internals into it- it’s $199 but then there are an assortment of lens you can utilize- none of them are inexpensive though.
You can change the lens yourself but you need to load different firmware to remove the pink edge problem. I have had good luck with Peau Productions although I would not recommend the 5.4mm lens. 3.37,3.97, 8.25 have all been worth it

It looks like you’ve mastered it nicely. It would be cool if you could do a piece that shows the whole farming process from field to table. Show today’s children that their fruits and vegetables don’t actually come from the grocery store- and how hard farmers work to keep the world fed.
Thanks! Those are my first videos using the Solo/GoPro with gimbal, so I'm still practicing. Pretty smooth system, IMO. No post-stabilization at all. Basically SOOC except colors/levels/sharpening. Solo is a beast...
Very nice. An aftermarket lens would be much better. Not meant to be a buzz kill but it would make a huge difference.
No offense taken. What lens would you recommend? Only one I have experience with is the Peau 3.97 which I run on both of my work Solos.
Really nice...
Thanks so much :)
Hey David-
Apparently a great platform, especially if you already have M4/3 lenses in your kit.
Saijin-
Is that your daughter on the roof / hood of your truck? You gotta be the cool dad in the neighborhood if so-
Nah! That's my god-daughter/niece. Her father is in the video, and he's the one running the disker on the back of the tractor. He's also responsible for getting me the GoPro to film. I wouldn't say I'm on contract to film farm stuff, but haha :p
You can change the lens yourself but you need to load different firmware to remove the pink edge problem. I have had good luck with Peau Productions although I would not recommend the 5.4mm lens. 3.37,3.97, 8.25 have all been worth it
From that list/your experience, which lens has proven to be the sharpest? I'd like to use Kolari Vision for my conversion since they use Peau parts, but Peau will not bundle the firmware fix with any other retailer's install, even ones that are partners. Frustrating.

Thanks! Those are my first videos using the Solo/GoPro with gimbal, so I'm still practicing. Pretty smooth system, IMO. No post-stabilization at all. Basically SOOC except colors/levels/sharpening. Solo is a beast...

No offense taken. What lens would you recommend? Only one I have experience with is the Peau 3.97 which I run on both of my work Solos.

Thanks so much :)

Apparently a great platform, especially if you already have M4/3 lenses in your kit.

Nah! That's my god-daughter/niece. Her father is in the video, and he's the one running the disker on the back of the tractor. He's also responsible for getting me the GoPro to film. I wouldn't say I'm on contract to film farm stuff, but haha :p

From that list/your experience, which lens has proven to be the sharpest? I'd like to use Kolari Vision for my conversion since they use Peau parts, but Peau will not bundle the firmware fix with any other retailer's install, even ones that are partners. Frustrating.
the 8.25 has proven to be the sharpest but with that zoom level it's a bit hard to work with. 3.97 gets my vote for good all around lens.

the 8.25 has proven to be the sharpest but with that zoom level it's a bit hard to work with. 3.97 gets my vote for good all around lens.
Amplification of chassis vibrations, right? I don't want to have to mess with post-stabilization. Alright, looks like I'll save up for the tried & true 3.97 with pink corners fix.

Amplification of chassis vibrations, right? I don't want to have to mess with post-stabilization. Alright, looks like I'll save up for the tried & true 3.97 with pink corners fix.
Post stabilization is absolutely needed with the 8.25. Good still photo lens though. it's sharp all around the edges.

Post stabilization is absolutely needed with the 8.25. Good still photo lens though. it's sharp all around the edges.
Mmm... If it wasn't so tight, I might like that for survey work. I have a feeling that'd make my transects far too close together to get anything done on larger fields. Maybe that'd be a good choice for an as-built/inventory assessment lens where I wouldn't be flying huge areas... Thanks for that information.

Reactions: David Boulanger
I do. In fact years ago my brother fell off the roof of the barn while putting a new roof on it. Fell off into the snow, got up and went back to work. He was like that.

I do. In fact years ago my brother fell off the roof of the barn while putting a new roof on it. Fell off into the snow, got up and went back to work. He was like that.
Sounds like he'd fit right in with everyone at Martin Farms :p

Thanks guys. Hoping to get some time to fly in the coming weeks. Hard to work around my schedule working 7 days a week -_-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Testing out my new GoPro Hero4 Black on my 3DR Solo, trying to get a hang of the manual cinematic style of flying before I attempt any of the SmartShots.
Video Source: GoPro Hero4 Black
Audio Source: Melancholy Hill - Gorillaz [Plastic Beach - 2010]
Video Editing: Serif MoviePlus X6

You have done well, living on a small farm in a rural area I can appreciate your footage. I am more still photography but do fly one of my birds with the GoPro 4 black every now and then. I find the ND filters work well

You have done well, living on a small farm in a rural area I can appreciate your footage. I am more still photography but do fly one of my birds with the GoPro 4 black every now and then. I find the ND filters work well
Thanks! My brother-in-law works there, so I try and fly with him whenever I get the chance. I really like seeing what goes on there, and he gets a kick out of the video.

Do you have your videos/photos somewhere?

What ND filters do you use/recommend? I do not have any at the moment, though I am shopping around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc