Make Sensible Purchases

Reaction score
Money doesn’t grow on trees ( I know, some will argue )
But don’t throw your money away!! I was looking around this morning on ebay- people selling Rev B gps for $265? Some people asking $808 for a gimbal?? And Master Airscrew Props for various prices anywhere from $20-$30.
THINK BEFORE YOU PURCHASE!!
You have to include shipping on your ebay purchase unless it states “ free shipping “ but you can buy directly from Master Airscrew and they offer discounts on holidays and free shipping on purchases over $25.
Rev B gps board? I’m sure a bunch of forum members have switched over to HERE systems and have a Rev B gps sitting on a shelf- that can be had for a lot less than $265!!
You can buy a complete Solo for less. Also, members looking for motors, ebay has several ( bunches ) of poor, unfortunate, crashed up units for sale- currently in the $11- $30 range. Some are in worse shape than others- but for parts, you can’t beat it! Again, watch the shipping charges! It shouldn’t cost $59 to throw a broken Solo in a box and send it your way unless you are located on the other side of the planet. ( in this case, $59 may be a good deal ) And added bonus, since it’s already broken, you don’t have to worry about the post office or your mail carrier doing that for you!
Just do your research and look before you leap-
Some decent deals today on complete Solo/Gimbal/ 3 DR backpack units- about $300- just figure a gimbal alone will set you back $200.

Bad news is I am on the other side of the planet!

Makes me wanna howl seeing the prices over there.

I can still get a brand new Solo (no gimbal) for just £795-00 on Amazon.co.uk.

[emoji22]

I'm taking your advice shipmate and stocking up as and when I see the bargains over here...anything about triple the dollar price in pounds counts as a bargain!

Only thing left to so now to make Solo imortal is bite the bullet and start preparing to do the LiPo pack change. I'm at the (lots of) research stage.

Just need a 200yd cordon and a steady hand....

Let me ask you a question- Are there a lot of Solo enthusiasts over there? We can still get Solo batteries at B&H photo for $30- and it comes with a free gift ( I think a pair of Solo legs - retail $4.95 ) but still, free.
I wonder if you touched base with B&H, would they send the lipo batteries to you, or is customs that tough? I know you can travel with them as long as it is carried on, maybe a single, adventurous forum member, looking to travel, can bring them to you- you may end up with a roommate for a few days.
It sucks, we have access to supplies and you guys don’t. There has to be a solution; forum members need to put on their thinking caps.

DJMc-
Google “ will b&h photo ship to uk”
it states they use DHL to ship international orders- not sure this will work for batteries because I’m sure if it were this easy, you guys would have figured this out long ago-
wish there was a way we could help on this side.

I did start having a look at using a shipping forwarder - it's the 'loose' lipos that they struggle with.

There were quite a few retailers here including the big chains, the type like your Best Buy. Interestingly quite a few photography shops did retail them too...but when 3DR stopped consumer sales they dropped them pretty quickly - no B&H type fire sales I'm afraid.

I'm not sure how many were sold here to be honest. The hype of a few years ago seems to have died downa little, so bargains now and again on eBay as people loose interest and sell up. There are also a couple of suppliers in France and Holland that still have stuff.

I have 2 full aircraft and 2 gimbal and a spare body and 4 batteries.

I could do with more batteries in the medium term I think. As to gimbals etc I think I'm over worrying - I haven't broken anything yet! [emoji2]

I think if it came to it I'd get into the 3rd party gimbal and batteries - especially if the gimbal opened up additional cameras. I have toyed with using my gimbal as a spare and looking at one of the fixed camera options for the second Solo - as you know losts of great information on the forum about how to do that.

Thanks for your comments - I'll spend a bit more time as you say looking at shipping options - sure it can be done.

That's once again.

Maybe contact B&H and ask about batteries- if you are capable, and they allow- order from them and turn yourself into the battery connection on that side of Earth.
Who knows, it could be somewhat profitable?

I hate seeing people get taken- just because they lack experience or knowledge. Everyone likes a good deal and is entitled to one!

Wow... $265 for a Rev B GPS? There's no way I would ever charge that much to anyone...... not without autographing it first...

FOR SALE
AUTOGRAPHED REV B GPS
$260.....

IrishmanPDX-
We have a top secret mission for you-
it involves your wife’s pilot expertise, a plane ride to the uk, and as many solo batteries as you can fit in that plane!!!
And maybe that autographed Rev B?.....

Money doesn’t grow on trees ( I know, some will argue )
But don’t throw your money away!! I was looking around this morning on ebay- people selling Rev B gps for $265? Some people asking $808 for a gimbal?? And Master Airscrew Props for various prices anywhere from $20-$30.
THINK BEFORE YOU PURCHASE!!
You have to include shipping on your ebay purchase unless it states “ free shipping “ but you can buy directly from Master Airscrew and they offer discounts on holidays and free shipping on purchases over $25.
Rev B gps board? I’m sure a bunch of forum members have switched over to HERE systems and have a Rev B gps sitting on a shelf- that can be had for a lot less than $265!!
You can buy a complete Solo for less. Also, members looking for motors, ebay has several ( bunches ) of poor, unfortunate, crashed up units for sale- currently in the $11- $30 range. Some are in worse shape than others- but for parts, you can’t beat it! Again, watch the shipping charges! It shouldn’t cost $59 to throw a broken Solo in a box and send it your way unless you are located on the other side of the planet. ( in this case, $59 may be a good deal ) And added bonus, since it’s already broken, you don’t have to worry about the post office or your mail carrier doing that for you!
Just do your research and look before you leap-
Some decent deals today on complete Solo/Gimbal/ 3 DR backpack units- about $300- just figure a gimbal alone will set you back $200.
I just paid $395 (thats including $36 shipping) for a 3DR "Bundle" off of ebay. Expecting it in the next day or so.Screenshot_2018-05-28-23-06-09.jpegScreenshot_2018-05-28-23-06-04.jpegScreenshot_2018-05-28-23-06-01.jpegScreenshot_2018-05-28-23-05-58.jpegScreenshot_2018-05-28-23-06-14.jpeg

IrishmanPDX-
We have a top secret mission for you-
it involves your wife’s pilot expertise, a plane ride to the uk, and as many solo batteries as you can fit in that plane!!!
And maybe that autographed Rev B?.....
I dunno, what's the max penalty for lipo smuggling these days....

Reactions: DJMc
It ain't smuggling if someone chips in for Duty/Taxes.

Though I don't know if that Single Engine Craft can make an Atlantic crossing....

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
It ain't smuggling if someone chips in for Duty/Taxes.

Though I don't know if that Single Engine Craft can make an Atlantic crossing....
We just need to strap on bigger Aux tanks... Nothing is impossible when you put your mind to it...... and have money to research it.... and team to implement it............. nothing.... unless it's a 3rd party gimbal with smart shots and a cheap readily available extended flight battery........... those are pretty much impossible.......

Got the 3rd party gimbal with smart shots already. Just need some new magic batteries now.
Well why not share the info with people. Such as what Gimbal you're using, what camera you're using. Was the install easy, do all the smart shots work, and how does it compare to the 3DR gimbal. I'm sure people here would find that info very helpful indeed.:D

I keep seeing reports of smart shots working with 3rd party gimbals. But no video of any of them. Why is that?

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
I've (unfortunately) logged into BookFace a couple of times and there is talk about gimbals with full smart shot capability. However again, no video or details given. I think if there was a fully working 3rd party gimbal with smart shots, Drone Worship would have posted about it a while back. His video's however still seem to be about implementing and testing a "dumb" 3rd party gimbal and there's still a few bugs to be worked out. Still, nice to hope.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc