Magnetic Interference

Reaction score
The past week since I got my solo has now gotten to the point where tonight it was unable to fly at all due to the remote stating "magnetic interference", move solo away from metal objects. Well I put it where I've flowing it a few times, in the direct, next to nothing and still won't take off.

I've been reading on these solar flares and northern lights, is that real or do I have a legit problem?

Sounds like you need to do the compass calibration described in section 9.2.1 in the manual.

Do we still have that magnetic field disturbance issue going on due to solar activity? Recalibrate everything, try a different location, make sure no radio towers or cell phones nearby, etc.

I had the same problem, turned out it was a defective Magnetometer. 3DR sent me a replacement and I was up and flying 5 minutes after replacing the part.

The "magnetic interference" message is produced when the magnetometer in the leg reads a different value to the one inside the body. The normal reason for the condition not clearing assuming you are not near a source of magnetism is that the calibration of the magnetometer in the leg or the body has changed.

Solar activity can affect the GPS accuracy but it does not affect the magnetometer reading. If the leg containing the solo is placed near a strong source of magnetism, eg the magnets on an iPad cover or loudspeaker, then that can cause it to lose its calibration.

When you do the magnetometer calibration make sure you do it outdoors in the middle of your yard or open area and away from metal objects and hold it by the arms not the legs, and rotate it around lots of different directions. It can be rotated quickly.

Reactions: RDA
Yes, understood that was so in your case. That information was for the OP.

The K-Index was extremely high yesterday afternoon. On most days it's not an issue, but I make it a habit to check it before I fly. I have noticed on days where the index is extremely high (in the red on the chart below) that I have a hard time maintaining a solid GPS connection and can lose connection with my P2V+.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/planetary-k-index

Last edited:
Reactions: RDA
I have the same issue. Since I have a spare unit, I swapped out the leg compass. I still get that annoying Magnetic warning. But the kicker is, the thing won't pass the compass calibration. Says FAILED...try again, or something. I finally gave up when I looked around after 4 hours of walking and wondered, "Where the hell am I?". Ima attempt again tomorrow........

UAV forecast is a pretty decent app I use
It basically.measures everything you need to know for flight conditions, it has a built in map with dji nfz's

Give it a shot, you might like it.

And for anybody that doesn't know.
Solo can take off in anything below 2.7 HDOP
3dr told me themselves.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not.. I was only offering advice to maybe help you put..
But to answer your question yes it is correct. One side has fuses that poke the heat shrink out the other side is perfectly flat.
Flat side out.

The "magnetic interference" message is produced when the magnetometer in the leg reads a different value to the one inside the body. The normal reason for the condition not clearing assuming you are not near a source of magnetism is that the calibration of the magnetometer in the leg or the body has changed.

Solar activity can affect the GPS accuracy but it does not affect the magnetometer reading. If the leg containing the solo is placed near a strong source of magnetism, eg the magnets on an iPad cover or loudspeaker, then that can cause it to lose its calibration.

When you do the magnetometer calibration make sure you do it outdoors in the middle of your yard or open area and away from metal objects and hold it by the arms not the legs, and rotate it around lots of different directions. It can be rotated quickly.
Hello Paul how is this calibration done? I don't see that on the app? Thx!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40