Magic smoke in motor pod - worth fixing or replace?

Reaction score
Got everyone's favourite - magic smoke in my front-left CCW motor pod. Lights work fine. Board gets super hot when turned on. When attempting to spin motors, this one just jiggles a bit and doesn't spin. I'm looking for burnouts in the PCB components, but nothing is obvious.

Is it worth trying to solve, or pay AUD $65 for a new one?

Got everyone's favourite - magic smoke in my front-left CCW motor pod. Lights work fine. Board gets super hot when turned on. When attempting to spin motors, this one just jiggles a bit and doesn't spin. I'm looking for burnouts in the PCB components, but nothing is obvious.

Is it worth trying to solve, or pay AUD $65 for a new one?
How many hours on that smoky motor pod?

Toss it...

Separate the ESC from the pod to inspect fully. You may have a bad winding in the motor. Stuff happens.

Toss it...

Separate the ESC from the pod to inspect fully. You may have a bad winding in the motor. Stuff happens.
Yeah I think I will. I've already separated it. Will buy the new one today. The seller is from Ballarat, and I did hear during the development of the Solo that someone from Australia was on the dev team down there. Probably the same person.

Yeah I think I will. I've already separated it. Will buy the new one today. The seller is from Ballarat, and I did hear during the development of the Solo that someone from Australia was on the dev team down there. Probably the same person.
Much of the dev team was Aussies. ArduPilot itself is run by an Aussie RC Mafia, think the bad guys of MadMax....;) The facilitator was 3DR and their Silicon Valley money... Chris Anderson plays MadMax....lol....funny analogy.

Much of the dev team was Aussies. ArduPilot itself is run by an Aussie RC Mafia, think the bad guys of MadMax....;) The facilitator was 3DR and their Silicon Valley money... Chris Anderson plays MadMax....lol....funny analogy.
Right ok. Sux they had to abandon the Solo. It was killing DJI with unique features at the time... oh well.

Right ok. Sux they had to abandon the Solo. It was killing DJI with unique features at the time... oh well.
Just a difference of opinions, but yeah sad to see 3DR bail, they were at an unfair disadvantage from multiple sides.

And I was joking about the MadMax reference. Ardupilot is a very impressive platform and the Devs are equally impressive. Solo would not have ever flown the skies without their contributions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea