Lower Throttle!

Reaction score
Hello there fellow 3DR Solo Pilots. :)

I have recently come across a transceiver error that I can't seem to fix, or calibrate.
It keeps telling me that I need to lower my throttle?
But I'm not touching the throttle or raising the stick at all.

Now.
This error only happens in (Stabilize) mode. When I switch to (Manual) it no longer shows the (Lower Throttle) error that it gives me.

I went out for a quick test flight to see what if any issues this was going to give me, and it ends up that once I switch to (Stabilize) mode in flight or before take off , it loses it's altitude hold and gives me the same (Lower Throttle) error.

I really don't know what could be causing this? It was fine when I flew it several times before, but now anytime I put my solo in (Stabilize) mode it wants to crash land or land hard! As opposed to its usual soft touch down landings.

I have made a little video of this transceiver error so that if there is anyone out there that has also gone through this problem and fixed it, perhaps you might want to pass that knowledge or comments along to help out a fellow Solo Droner. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's happening because you need to lower the throttle. You can't arm in stabilize mode with the throttle above minimum.
Ok... So what you're saying is, if I get the green light to Fly? And I'm in stabilize mode, I have to hold the throttle down before take off? I think what I'm asking here is, in stabilize mode, there is no altitude hold? Or stick in center mode?

It's happening because you need to lower the throttle. You can't arm in stabilize mode with the throttle above minimum.
And now that I think about it, It wasn't until I switched the A, and B, buttons from Cable and Orbit in solex to Stabilize and Manual that this Throttle issue started happening.

I think you might of just solved my problem Pedals2Paddles!

Super Hero work as usual Pedals2Paddles... Thank You! ;)

Be careful on this mode, it's great for a fast climb to altitude, but I lost one in a pond in this mode. I needed a rapid decent for a different angle and it descended so quick, like it was falling, the motors turned off inverted and splashed, not recovered. I haven't descended that quick since and rarely use this mode any more.

Be careful on this mode, it's great for a fast climb to altitude, but I lost one in a pond in this mode. I needed a rapid decent for a different angle and it descended so quick, like it was falling, the motors turned off inverted and splashed, not recovered. I haven't descended that quick since and rarely use this mode any more.
Confessions of a drone pilot....lessons learned gives way to experience. I always appreciate reading your comments Dash, thank you.

Reactions: DJMc
In Fly and Manual (Loiter & Alt Hold), the throttle is automatic. The stick is proportioned to obtain a given rate of climb or descent, with centered being 0, or hover. So with the stick centered, it will hover. With the stuck fully down, it will descend at the maximum descent rate in centimeters per second as specified by the parameter in the turtle/rabbit slider settings.

In stabilize, throttle is controlled completely by the stick. The stick fully up is maximum throttle output. The stick fully down will idle the motors with no stabilization and cause it to tumble out of the sky to a smoking hole in the ground. The stick in the middle is scaled to be approximately the throttle required to hover, but not perfect.

Confessions of a drone pilot....lessons learned gives way to experience. I always appreciate reading your comments Dash, thank you.

I just think he has a really cool name! He could be on TV, " here's Dash Hewes with the news!" "Dash Hewes to the rescue!" What a cool name!

In stabilize, throttle is controlled completely by the stick.

This definition bugs me. In stabilize the FC still adds throttle to compensate for tilt. It might be more accurate to say altitude is controlled by the stick.

"The throttle sent to the motors is automatically adjusted based on the tilt angle of the vehicle (i.e. increased as the vehicle tilts over more) to reduce the compensation the pilot must do as the vehicle’s attitude changes."

It might be more accurate to say altitude is controlled by the stick.

That would be the opposite of reality and wrong. The stick does not control altitude. That's how the other modes work. The stick controls throttle output.

Your evading my point. Stick controls throttle output which controls altitude. Altitude is not controlled by a barometer but to say the left stick is not controlling altitude is silly. To say throttle is completely manual is wrong. The flight controller is manipulating throttle to compensate for Vector angle.

Last edited:
No I'm not evading your point. Your point is incorrect and incredibly misleading. In stabilize mode, throttle stick does not control altitude. Throttle stick controls throttle output proportionally from minimum to maximum, period, end of story. It does not have any correlation to altitude. The pilot controls the altitude, which requires coordinated input from all sticks in all axes.

To describe simply by saying "altitude is controlled by the stick" has literally no meaningful value. And will just confuse people, since that is what the stick does in all the other flights modes. In the other flight modes such as fly and manual, the throttle stick controls altitude directly. It proportionally commands a specific fixed rate of climb or descent, or it commands holding altitude.

Your point is incorrect and incredibly misleading. It does not have any correlation to altitude. The pilot controls the altitude, which requires coordinated input from all sticks in all axes.

No I'm not evading your point.

Yes you are. Your statement was in stabilize mode throttle control is completely manual, I posted a phrase directly from ardu indicating you are wrong.

In stabilize mode, throttle stick does not control altitude.

Remedial training. Look at almost any user guide they will have an illustration of the left stick being pushed up and the vehicle goes up. Left stick down and vehicle goes down. Moving the stick up increases throttle output which in the majority of situations causes the vehicle to rise in altitude. Moving the stick down will cause the vehicle to go down. This is not altitude hold if that is your point.

Throttle stick controls throttle output proportionally from minimum to maximum, period, end of story.

Wrong again, see above. A direct proportional input would mean no input from the FC, clearly the FC modifies throttle output based on qualifiers making your "theory" incorrect.

To describe simply by saying "altitude is controlled by the stick" has literally no meaningful value.

Been training guys to Fly RC since 1974, whether increasing throttle and pulling back on the elevator of a fixed wing, increasing throttle on a fixed or collective pitch heli, or motor output of a MR usually increasing the throttle results in an increase of altitude unless your upside down lol.

And will just confuse people, since that is what the stick does in all the other flights modes.

Wrong again. "all other flight modes"? In Fly or other flight modes the FC uses an on board barometer to maintain altitude, the throttle stick can override this. In Acro for example this is not true, you are simply wrong. Note in the following video I am in ACRO and when Solo is upside down I pull the throttle back. In your argument the throttle has no effect on altitude :rolleyes:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In the other flight modes such as fly and manual, the throttle stick controls altitude directly. It proportionally commands a specific fixed rate of climb or descent, or it commands holding altitude.

No, not really. In FLY the FC is trying to,maintain a constant altitude based on a baro reading. Working the throttle overrides this "altitude hold" so while I agree with you on the theory is not a "direct" command it is filtered by the FC.

Reactions: Dash Hewes
Does this mean I can start drinking sh*t loads of soda? I made that mistake last time.....

Ya know, I come here to learn about my drone, what's coming down the pipeline and how not to magically turn my drone into a smoking hole in the ground. The pissing contests can be entertaining but I know who I'm putting my money on.... ;)

You're taking what I said, making it into something different, then ranting about it. Do you work for CNN? And your understanding of how altitude hold and vertical rate controls work in ArduCopter is obviously not up to snuff. What I said is correct. You can spin it however you'd like to make me sounds wrong, but that doesn't change anything.

Reactions: rikracer
You're taking what I said, making it into something different, then ranting about it. Do you work for CNN? And your understanding of how altitude hold and vertical rate controls work in ArduCopter is obviously not up to snuff. What I said is correct. You can spin it however you'd like to make me sounds wrong, but that doesn't change anything.

I'll take it; I think this is as much admission as we are going to get.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986