lost drone - dowloaded tlog files - cant read them

Reaction score
Hi All -
New member and new flyer here! Had my solo for about 2 months now.

I was flying yesterday in rural farmland Ohio, take off was fine and bird was working great.

I flew about 2500 feet out and the bird lost signal. I was waiting for the bird to reconnect for about 2-3 minutes - but it never did. No RTH activated - gps was working when I took off and it seemed to remain connected - I didn't get the "manual fly" notification.

Long story short - I lost the bird.

I drove to where it last was (based on where I thought it was from the live video feed) - I had the controller on in hopes it would connect. For one quick second - the controller said "searching for GPS" and then I lost connection (controlled said "waiting for solo" and kept driving around - then again the controlled connected and said "fly" and then disconnected "waiting for solo". I looked around for the bird - but found nothing...

So I am now trying to read the tlogs I downloaded - but apparent I have no idea what I am doing trying to read these. I tried mission planner - but no luck...

Can someone on this forum look at my logs and tell me where this bird is (gps coordinates)?

I sent a ticket request to 3DR via the android app - If I cant find the bird - I heard that 3dr would replace the bird and the GoPro Hero4 silver that was on board (assuming this loss was not my fault - which I dont beleive it was).

I really appreciate everyone's help - this forum has been very useful and I appreciate that!!!

FYI - I had to change the file extension to .txt becuase this forum wouldnt allow me to uploan the .tlog / so you will need to change the file extension to .tlog to use it (i beleive). The day I lost the drone was 11-26-16 around 2:15 PM EST (if this is useful).

- Jason

Attachments

• solo1.txt
    128 KB · Views: 12
  • solo2.txt
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • solo3.txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • solo4.txt
    568.2 KB · Views: 2
  • solo5.txt
    7.6 MB · Views: 8
Jason- Sorry for your loss. Yes, 3DR will replace if it's Solo's fault but they have been trying to "wiggle out" of replacement when they can.

Best way to contact is by online chat during normal business hours. I recommend you follow up tomorrow.

I presume you had a good GPS lock before takeoff so Solo could return home? Hopefully somebody who can read logs better than I can will take a look.

Yep - gps was locked in when I took off. without gps locked - the bird won't fly. I'm stumped why it didn't return home...

Yep - gps was locked in when I took off. without gps locked - the bird won't fly. I'm stumped why it didn't return home...
Actually, you can take off manually without GPS lock. Some people do it because they can't get a lock on the ground because of the surrounding terrain. They climb straight up say to 100' and get the lock there. Gotta be really careful when coming back to land in manual mode.

Ahhhh. interesting. well I know I wasn't in manual mode when I took off. I waiting for gps to lock in. I really hope someone can look at my logs to help me :)

tlog2 is at 215PM EST. I am NOT a great interpreter of tlogs, but these screen caps from MP may tell you where to look. It seems it was on the ground once and took off to head south, Look in the area of pic tlog2b.png.

tlog2.PNG

tlog2b.PNG

ETA: Looks like right near the edge of a tree line near a home clearing.

ETA2: Don't rule out that it could be up in a tree.

Last edited:
Thank you SOOOO much! I sent a Facebook message to all the people I know in the area. I really hope this bird if found!

Thank you SOOOO much! I sent a Facebook message to all the people I know in the area. I really hope this bird if found!
Did you see where the bird (hopefully) was located on those satellite pics and go look or is that an area that's on private property?

Facebook wouldn't do it for me - I accidentally look at my FB page about once or twice a year.

the bird is in Ohio and i am back to Pennsylvania - i was visiting for thanksgiving. so luckily i have family looking for it. fingers crossed -BUT it supposed to rain Monday :-(

I'm
the bird is in Ohio and i am back to Pennsylvania - i was visiting for thanksgiving. so luckily i have family looking for it. fingers crossed -BUT it supposed to rain Monday :-(
I'm in Ohio... whereabouts are we looking?

That's actually not far - I've got some friends up there that can't fly because of the airport. I'll forward this along...

Reactions: Steve Langford
Jason- You should download Mission Planner and review your own logs. There are YouTubes to show you more.

When zooming in on MP, your LKP (last know position) is about 100' back into the trees. If it didn't drift any farther on its heading, it still may be a challenge to find. If it did drift, it may be 'cultivated' in the farmer's next tractor pass.

Best of luck mate, hope you recover it!
Thinking of labelling mine with atleast an email address, anyone else doing that?
I have my phone number on the outside of my birds with "Reward if Returned".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela